OT: Payette Lake Jump

JD

Guest
Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
climbing.

JD

JD wrote:
> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> climbing.
>
> JD

Isn't that water cold? I always thought the Pacific never got that warm.

55'! That's a lotta guts. Pictures?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Jul 16, 3:13 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> climbing.
>
> JD

Dang, Dood! That's pretty awesome, and at that height, even a big ole
Freak has to land right to make it work, and not screw himself up.
Congrats. Musta been a blast. Anybody on camera??

When I lifeguarded a summer camp at Payette Lake, I made the kids swim
across the lagoon before they could jump off the cliffs. Makes for an
easier job on my part, I can guarantee ya!

CDB

> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> climbing.

You're nuts. Don't know what you're more nuts because of: swimming in
surely booby-trapped waters because Californian beach residents think they
own the Pacific ocean, or the jump.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Jul 16, 2:59 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> > a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> > the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> > climbing.

> You're nuts. Don't know what you're more nuts because of: swimming in
> surely booby-trapped waters because Californian beach residents think they
> own the Pacific ocean, or the jump.
>
> Greg

No cameras because nobody had a waterproof housing. The water was
nice, about 68 and the swell was only about a foot. There were no
booby traps and nobody appeared to have called the cops on us. They
obviously had bigger fish to fry on a busy Sunday in South OC.
There's a 65 foot spot that I'm going to hit next time. When you're
that high already, another ten feet isn't ****. Swimming in the ocean
with shoes on is a bit of a trip.

JD

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:24:49 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
<mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:

> JD wrote:
>> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
>> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
>> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
>> climbing.
>> JD
>>

> Isn't that water cold? I always thought the Pacific never got that warm.
>
> 55'! That's a lotta guts. Pictures?

It depends on your definition of cold. I surfed for 17 yrs and
experienced many warm (~70 deg) days.
Of course, my favorite time, the winter, is pretty damn frigid. Once had
to ask a stranger if he
he put my car key in the lock and turn it for me because I didn't have and
control over my hand muscles.

And yes, we do, frequently, **** in our wetsuit to keep warm.
--
Slack

JD wrote:
> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> climbing.
>
> JD

Nice! Have you ever jumped off the cliffs at Blue Mesa? I'll show you
sometime if you're in the neighborhood. There's one that's ~80-100 Ft.
depending on the water level. You MUST land correctly or suffer severe
consequences (saw a dislocated shoulder there once). There's also some
that are 1/3 to 1/2 of that too. Fun stuff. The amount of time it takes
to swim back to the surface from the big one can be a little disconcerting!

Matt

"Ride-A-Lot" <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:BmRmi.34318$%[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
>> Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
>> a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
>> the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
>> climbing.
>>
>> JD
>>

> Isn't that water cold? I always thought the Pacific never got that warm.
>
> 55'! That's a lotta guts. Pictures?
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

I live in Laguna Beach and the water temp has been in the low 70's for the
past week.

Dean

On Jul 16, 8:17 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2:59 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Well CDB, I topped my personal best high cliff jump yesterday. It was
> > > a 55 footer into the ocean. The best part was the "mission" to get to
> > > the private beach where this leap is located. Lotsa swimming and
> > > climbing.

> > You're nuts. Don't know what you're more nuts because of: swimming in
> > surely booby-trapped waters because Californian beach residents think they
> > own the Pacific ocean, or the jump.

> > Greg

> No cameras because nobody had a waterproof housing. The water was
> nice, about 68 and the swell was only about a foot. There were no
> booby traps and nobody appeared to have called the cops on us. They
> obviously had bigger fish to fry on a busy Sunday in South OC.
> There's a 65 foot spot that I'm going to hit next time. When you're
> that high already, another ten feet isn't ****. Swimming in the ocean
> with shoes on is a bit of a trip.
>
> JD

I want to weep for my mommy just reading about it.

How far into the water does that shoot you? Must be tough on yer
ears....

/s

On Jul 18, 12:51 am, "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I live in Laguna Beach and the water temp has been in the low 70's for the
> past week.

I'll drop you an email next time we go, Dean. It's some fun stuff.

JD

On Jul 18, 8:38 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 8:17 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 16, 2:59 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > You're nuts. Don't know what you're more nuts because of: swimming in
> > > surely booby-trapped waters because Californian beach residents think they
> > > own the Pacific ocean, or the jump.

> > > Greg

> > No cameras because nobody had a waterproof housing. The water was
> > nice, about 68 and the swell was only about a foot. There were no
> > booby traps and nobody appeared to have called the cops on us. They
> > obviously had bigger fish to fry on a busy Sunday in South OC.
> > There's a 65 foot spot that I'm going to hit next time. When you're
> > that high already, another ten feet isn't ****. Swimming in the ocean
> > with shoes on is a bit of a trip.

> > JD

> I want to weep for my mommy just reading about it.

You had better sit down before looking here then:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cience/sets/72157600053196730/

All of those were shot on different trips to the same place except the
last two of Ben with some nice scrapage from mussel encrusted reef.

> How far into the water does that shoot you? Must be tough on yer
> ears....

I didn't go too awfully deep. A look at the satellite photo of that
spot was reassuring because the bottom below that spot on the cliff is
all sand.

JD

On Jul 19, 6:38 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 8:38 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No cameras because nobody had a waterproof housing. The water was
> > > nice, about 68 and the swell was only about a foot. There were no
> > > booby traps and nobody appeared to have called the cops on us. They
> > > obviously had bigger fish to fry on a busy Sunday in South OC.
> > > There's a 65 foot spot that I'm going to hit next time. When you're
> > > that high already, another ten feet isn't ****. Swimming in the ocean
> > > with shoes on is a bit of a trip.

> > > JD

> > I want to weep for my mommy just reading about it.

> You had better sit down before looking here then:http://www.flickr.com/photos/cience/sets/72157600053196730/
>
> All of those were shot on different trips to the same place except the
> last two of Ben with some nice scrapage from mussel encrusted reef.
>
> > How far into the water does that shoot you? Must be tough on yer
> > ears....

> I didn't go too awfully deep. A look at the satellite photo of that
> spot was reassuring because the bottom below that spot on the cliff is
> all sand.
>
> JD

Great pictures. Great fun. Reminds me of 2 wks ago on the Barney
Tri, where we pedal, jump and swim, Cliff was about 10 feet up a tree
standing on a tiny little outcropping, hanging onto a rope ready to
trust his life to, when he said, "I'm 51 years old, what the hell am I
doing up here... GERONIMO!!" [Best cannonball off a rope swing I've
ever seen}.

CDB

On Jul 19, 8:38 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 8:38 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No cameras because nobody had a waterproof housing. The water was
> > > nice, about 68 and the swell was only about a foot. There were no
> > > booby traps and nobody appeared to have called the cops on us. They
> > > obviously had bigger fish to fry on a busy Sunday in South OC.
> > > There's a 65 foot spot that I'm going to hit next time. When you're
> > > that high already, another ten feet isn't ****. Swimming in the ocean
> > > with shoes on is a bit of a trip.

> > > JD

> > I want to weep for my mommy just reading about it.

> You had better sit down before looking here then:http://www.flickr.com/photos/cience/sets/72157600053196730/
>
> All of those were shot on different trips to the same place except the
> last two of Ben with some nice scrapage from mussel encrusted reef.
>
> > How far into the water does that shoot you? Must be tough on yer
> > ears....

> I didn't go too awfully deep. A look at the satellite photo of that
> spot was reassuring because the bottom below that spot on the cliff is
> all sand.
>
> JD- Hide quoted text -

Straight-edge kids? Now I understand. They're clearly insane.

/s

On Jul 20, 10:57 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 8:38 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I want to weep for my mommy just reading about it.

> > You had better sit down before looking here then:http://www.flickr.com/photos/cience/sets/72157600053196730/

> > All of those were shot on different trips to the same place except the
> > last two of Ben with some nice scrapage from mussel encrusted reef.

> > > How far into the water does that shoot you? Must be tough on yer
> > > ears....

> > I didn't go too awfully deep. A look at the satellite photo of that
> > spot was reassuring because the bottom below that spot on the cliff is
> > all sand.

> > JD- Hide quoted text -

> Straight-edge kids? Now I understand. They're clearly insane.
>
> /s

I wonder why they pulled the "I'm not going first" routine and this
old man stepped right up and took the plunge...

JD - rough edged