OT - Pedestrian killed by cyclists in Hell Ride, Melbourne

Shuggie

Guest
Not sure if this has been posted before. This is the story about an old
guy who was knocked down and killed at a set of lights which changed in
his favour as a group of 200 cyclists beared down on him.

http://tinyurl.com/o57y6
http://tinyurl.com/jb553

Just wondering, are there regular hell rides here in the UK?

James

Quoting Shuggie <[email protected]>:
>Not sure if this has been posted before. This is the story about an old
>guy who was knocked down and killed at a set of lights which changed in
>his favour as a group of 200 cyclists beared down on him.

I can't help but wonder about;

"Had it been a car, its driver would be in deep trouble, facing possible
culpable driving charges and years in prison. It was a bicycle. He is not.

Police have charged a 30-year-old cyclist with failing to stop at a red light
over the Saturday morning collision that killed James Gould, 77, in Mentone,
but yesterday said there was little more they could do."

There's an offence of manslaughter in US law. Why can't he be charged with
that?
Today is Second Wednesday, August.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:pyp*[email protected]...
> Quoting Shuggie <[email protected]>:
>>Not sure if this has been posted before. This is the story about an old
>>guy who was knocked down and killed at a set of lights which changed in
>>his favour as a group of 200 cyclists beared down on him.

> I can't help but wonder about;
>
> "Had it been a car, its driver would be in deep trouble, facing possible
> culpable driving charges and years in prison. It was a bicycle. He is not.
>
> Police have charged a 30-year-old cyclist with failing to stop at a red
> light
> over the Saturday morning collision that killed James Gould, 77, in
> Mentone,
> but yesterday said there was little more they could do."
>
> There's an offence of manslaughter in US law. Why can't he be charged with
> that?

And for our next geography lesson, we will be watching Neighbours in an
attempt to discern merely from the accents which country Melbourne is in...

Agreed about the charges though.

cheers,
clive

Shuggie wrote:

> Just wondering, are there regular hell rides here in the UK?
>
> James

no - its an illegal race gathering and locals here would call the cops. Even
if people got away with it initially the cops would be waiting next time to
deal with it; in the same way they deal with cruises, unlicensed raves
etc....

There are critical mass rides in some areas (mostly intended as a protest
action) but they are fairly slow-moving and it would be unlikely for a
pedestrian to be hurt during one.

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

Quoting Clive George <[email protected]>:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>There's an offence of manslaughter in US law. Why can't he be charged with
>>that?

>And for our next geography lesson, we will be watching Neighbours in an
>attempt to discern merely from the accents which country Melbourne is in...

Good point. Sorry. I read a lot about the US "Death Rides", and it
confused me.

Shuggie said:
Not sure if this has been posted before. This is the story about an old
guy who was knocked down and killed at a set of lights which changed in
his favour as a group of 200 cyclists beared down on him.

http://tinyurl.com/o57y6
http://tinyurl.com/jb553

Just wondering, are there regular hell rides here in the UK?

James
Good a write up as any on what's been happening here: http://treadly.thingoid.com/2006/08/31/james-gould/

Here being Melbourne, Australia that is.

Shuggie wrote:

> Just wondering, are there regular hell rides here in the UK?

No, but I have known plenty of club cyclists run red lights to keep the
group together (if the lights were red when the first rider reached
them, they'd probably stop).

When I stopped I was shouted at by the idiots behind who "had to" swerve
round me. It doesn't happen here, but it *could*.

Response to Zog The Undeniable:
> No, but I have known plenty of club cyclists run red lights to keep the
> group together (if the lights were red when the first rider reached
> them, they'd probably stop).

A few years ago I accidentally got myself caught up in a club run going
through the middle of town. We all reached a red light, and waited.
After just a few seconds a couple of the leaders got bored,
dismounted, and walked their bikes through. Seeing this, a few more
scooted across the junction one-footed; seeing *that*, the rest of the
club clipped in and cycled across in front of oncoming traffic, leaving
me alone at the red light, looking like the class Goodie Two-Shoes.

--
Mark, UK
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more

David Damerell wrote:

> There's an offence of manslaughter in US law. Why can't he be charged with
> that?

A regular on rec.bicycle.misc. who works in law enforcement has posted
on this topic, explaining why the cyclist would probably not be charged
with manslaughter under his state's laws. ISTR a cyclist in my state
being charged with manslaughter in my state (head on collision on
bicycle path), but I'm a bit hazy on the details. So even if Melbourne
were in the US, it would depend on which state Melbourne chose to locate
itself in.

mark