OT: Personal Firewall software

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Victor Meldrew, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?

    Thanks.
    --
    Victor Meldrew

    Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

    Tags:

  2. Victor Meldrew wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?

    Zonealarm.

    It's free and it's about the best you'll get without paying. In fact with a few exceptions it's
    probably better than most you'd pay for.

    There's Zonealarm standard which is free, or zonealarm Pro which isn't free unless you're into non
    legitimate software.

    --
    Dnc

  3. Fraggle

    Fraggle Guest

    Victor Meldrew <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

    sygate or zonealarm I use zonealarm, but lots of people rate sygate, both will block external
    attacks and notify you when programs on your machines try to connect.

    remember that these things will warn you whenever your ports get scanned, this will happen a lot
    just as general "background", so don't panic!

    Also check before blocking things access to the net, some bit of MS software calls itself
    "runDLLasApp" which sounds darn dodgy to me, but is legit! Use Google to check stuff out!

    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?li d=pdb_za1

    Fragg

  4. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Victor Meldrew wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Didn't like Zonealarm to much visual stuff and intrusion. Kerio or Tiny.

    I've used them for years with no problems (and before the ZA nerds start in they pass all the GRC
    and other tests, just like ZA).

  5. Fraggle wrote:

    > Also check before blocking things access to the net, some bit of MS software calls itself
    > "runDLLasApp" which sounds darn dodgy to me, but is legit! Use Google to check stuff out!

    As you'll know, Zonealarm works the other way. Everything is blocked until it treis to access the
    net, at which point you can allow it acces, either "just this once" or "forever".

    So programs you use everyday, or at least frequently, are quickly able to access the ent with no
    hinderance. Oddball programs and possibly virii/trojans will struggle unless you give them
    permission. In which case you might as well not have obthered with the firewall in the first place!

    --
    Dnc

  6. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    > Didn't like Zonealarm to much visual stuff and intrusion. Kerio or Tiny.
    >
    > I've used them for years with no problems (and before the ZA nerds start in they pass all the GRC
    > and other tests, just like ZA).

    i liked tiny personal firewall too - though now use routers to handle that side of things rather
    than having the need to reconfigure software every time i change my operating system, which can be
    frequent sometimes

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  8. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > "Victor Meldrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Tiny Personal Firewall or ZoneAlarm are the obvious choices.
    >
    > see http://grc.com for the lowdown.

    GRC is hopelessly idiosyncratic but useful.

    Have you tried http://www.securityspace.com ? Very good site that will send you periodic security
    reminders and a wide selection of tests and audits.

  9. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    doobrie wrote:
    >> Didn't like Zonealarm to much visual stuff and intrusion. Kerio or Tiny.
    >>
    >> I've used them for years with no problems (and before the ZA nerds start in they pass all the GRC
    >> and other tests, just like ZA).
    >
    > i liked tiny personal firewall too - though now use routers to handle that side of things rather
    > than having the need to reconfigure software every time i change my operating system, which can be
    > frequent sometimes

    A very timely comment!

    I have to network my home PC later this week and being new to it, and given your experience, is it
    simply a case of putting the router in and leaving Tiny/Kerio as is?

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > GRC is hopelessly idiosyncratic but useful.

    He does get bees in his bonnet, but his site is good and his leak testing and firewall vaidation
    tools are excellent and very quick.

    I also subscribe to CERT and various other mailing lists. And I have a hardware firewall, which is
    far and away the best answer to the whole problem.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  11. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    > A very timely comment!
    >
    > I have to network my home PC later this week and being new to it, and given your experience, is it
    > simply a case of putting the router in and leaving Tiny/Kerio as is?

    depends on the ablity of the router ... if it has a firewall built in id rather use that ... you
    need to know which ports to block, allow etc but theres heaps of that reading on the net and maybe
    even with the router

    if its a basic one that only does 'nat then its geenrally ok for blocking incoming stuff (as most
    nat will show up as stealth on grc for example and wont answer port scans) but wont block outgoing
    connection which may open you upto trojans, etc

    it really does depend a lot on the router, your abilities and how paranoid you are ... my own
    systems run with current antivirus and generally get nuked fairly often so i dont tend to be
    overly worried about dodgy software on my system as im careful with what goes on here and what i
    open or dont open

    best wait until you've got it and have a few questions at that point ... if you need a basic starter
    for tcp/ip settings, etc to get you started with it then shout away ... if however your ntwork card
    is set for automatic ip (dhcp) and your router is handing out address's it may be as easy as
    plugging into router, using web browser to go to default ip address (will be in the manual) and
    logging on - options are there to change then if required.

  12. Davo

    Davo Guest

    well............ could of done you nortons f/w complete with updates till 2029

    but looks like your sorted now..............

    anyone who rips s/ware should be knighted !!!!!!!!

    cheeeeeeeers

    watch the uproar.................................

    GO :)

    \ / ( . ) ( . ) v \/\/\/\/\/\ ....Baldy..with ATTITUDE

    "Victor Meldrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Victor Meldrew
    >
    > Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

  13. Scrumpy Joe

    Scrumpy Joe Guest

    Victor Meldrew wrote:

    > Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You could try GuardDog or even handcrafting your own iptables firewall because I notice that every
    one has automatically assumed that you use MS Windows...

  14. Fraggle

    Fraggle Guest

    Scrumpy Joe <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I notice that every one has automatically assumed that you use MS Windows...

    Duh!

    we checked the "User-Agent:" and saw "Turnpike/6.01-U"

    so knew it was a windows box!

    Fragg - :p

  15. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:30:48 +0100, Trevor Barton wrote:

    > Victor Meldrew <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >
    > Linux + iptables?

    Linux + Shorewall (which makes iptables rules a lot easier to implement).

    Mike

  16. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    Scrumpy Joe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You could try GuardDog or even handcrafting your own iptables firewall because I notice that every
    > one has automatically assumed that you use MS Windows...

    "Personal firewall" is a very Windoze-oriented term. I guess the blowflies buzzing around the
    windoze users have figured out that "personal" sells to home users.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  17. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Fraggle <[email protected]> writes
    >Scrumpy Joe <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I notice that every one has automatically assumed that you use MS Windows...
    >
    >we checked the "User-Agent:" and saw "Turnpike/6.01-U"
    >
    >so knew it was a windows box!

    And anyway, since most PC users are likely (by a long way) to be using Windows I think it's a
    reasonable assumption myself.

    (If someone isn't then they are likely to say so IME)
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  18. Scrumpy Joe

    Scrumpy Joe Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:30:48 +0100, Trevor Barton wrote:
    >
    >> Victor Meldrew <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?
    >>
    >> Linux + iptables?
    >
    > Linux + Shorewall (which makes iptables rules a lot easier to implement).
    >

    > Mike

    Hmmm.. Shorewall, I found to be a PITA to setup which is why I recommend GuardDog. However, this is
    the beauty of Open Source software because we are all free to pick and choose what works best for us
    not what someone else thinks is best for us...

  19. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:05:47 +0100, Scrumpy Joe wrote:

    > However, this is the beauty of Open Source software because we are all free to pick and choose
    > what works best for us not what someone else thinks is best for us...

    Amen brother!

    And we can even get into the development process to make it even more to our liking. (No I don't do
    kernel, but I do do scanner stuff and anti-spam ;-)

    Mike

  20. In article <[email protected]>, Victor Meldrew <[email protected]> writes
    >Can anyone point me in the direction of any free software to do the job?

    Thanks to everyone for their help.

    --
    Victor Meldrew

    Remove bra to reply by e-mail.