OT: please send b-day greetings TODAY

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Karen M., May 14, 2003.

  1. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Hi folks-- I am a bad older sister. Just got a plaintive e-mail from a younger sib; she turned 40 on
    May 13, and "only one person sent me a card, and only 3 people mentioned it to me." (Geography and
    emotional distance aren't factors here at all, no they aren't.) So if you feel like it, please help
    with the anonymous Good Samaritan thing and drop her an e-mail, or even a greeting card (that will
    clog up her mailbox and get her on all kinds of new spam lists!). She doesn't participate in any of
    these NG, but she has at least vague connections to each topic. Her name is Gwen, and she is at:
    [email protected] TIA --Karen M.

    Tags:

  2. Austinboston

    Austinboston Guest

    [email protected] (Karen M.) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi folks-- I am a bad older sister. Just got a plaintive e-mail from a younger sib; she turned 40
    > on May 13, and "only one person sent me a card, and only 3 people mentioned it to me." (Geography
    > and emotional distance aren't factors here at all, no they aren't.) So if you feel like it, please
    > help with the anonymous Good Samaritan thing and drop her an e-mail, or even a greeting card (that
    > will clog up her mailbox and get her on all kinds of new spam lists!). She doesn't participate in
    > any of these NG, but she has at least vague connections to each topic. Her name is Gwen, and she
    > is at: [email protected] TIA --Karen M.

    I wonder if the salamander at fuse.net is slimy.

    Austin

  3. That was a very stupid thing to do. Not only was it not nice, but you left yourself open to all
    kinds of attacks.

    --
    Hunting - Camping - Fishing - Outdoors http://www.outdoorsdirect.net

  4. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    "Outdoors Direct" wrote:
    > That was a very stupid thing to do. Not only was it not nice, but you left yourself open to all
    > kinds of attacks.

    Attacks? From people who read UseNet? I'm already a regular poster

    projects, TYVM. Stupid? Compared to most of what passes for commentary on UseNet, this is E=MC2.
    (Newsgroups are about connecting, not for advertising your products for sale.) Not nice??? I once
    sent her a message via ham radio express. She wanted b-day greetings, I'm providing her with lots of
    them. Now your message: it's definitely not nice, and the name-calling sure makes it read like an
    attack. HTH

    --Karen M. sheesh!

  5. I'm not flaming anyone. I'm just saying that posts like yours will not be met very kindly.

    --
    Hunting - Camping - Fishing - Outdoors http://www.outdoorsdirect.net

  6. Phil G-E

    Phil G-E Guest

    "Outdoors Direct" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm not flaming anyone. I'm just saying that posts like yours will not be met very kindly.
    --
    Well, it's kindly met by this person, if not very kindly met. I can't speak for others, though...

    Meanwhile, I hope your sis has great fun with all the messages, Karen.

    Meanwhile, if you know him, send Peter Martin of Merriweather and Good Gravity a Hippy B-day note.

    -Phil

  7. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Outdoors Direct" wrote:
    > > That was a very stupid thing to do. Not only was it not nice, but you
    left
    > > yourself open to all kinds of attacks.
    >
    > Attacks? From people who read UseNet? I'm already a regular poster

    > projects, TYVM. Stupid? Compared to most of what passes for commentary on UseNet, this is E=MC2.
    > (Newsgroups are about connecting, not for advertising your products for sale.) Not nice??? I once
    > sent her a message via ham radio express. She wanted b-day greetings, I'm providing her with lots
    > of them. Now your message: it's definitely not nice, and the name-calling sure makes it read like
    > an attack. HTH

    All the name-calling and bad attitudes aside, he does have a point. Many of us make efforts to make
    sure our correct e-mail addresses do not get posted on usenet. We add spaces, characters, and little
    phrases (killspam!) in order to fool the "bots" that troll the usenet world looking for e-mail
    addresses. Yes, there are little programs that read every message and add anything with an "@"
    symbol to their database of addresses. These are then used to send unsolicited e-mail about things
    most of us would never discuss with anyone else.

    It is unfortunate that some people in the usenet world can't be bothered to explain the problem, yet
    will take the time to be rude. If we would each post like our grandmother was proofreading our
    words, I'm sure we would all be a lot nicer.

    While you may have meant to do a nice thing for your friend, it is very likely that you just added
    her e-mail address to a variety of spammer's databases. She can expect the volume of spam in her
    inbox to increase substantially because of your act of kindness. The only way for her to fix it is
    to start fresh with a new address, something I have to do every couple of years, despite my
    efforts to keep my e-mail address mungled in one way or another. Such is the price we must pay for
    using the 'net.

    -Buck

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r
    p . c o m> wrote:

    >While you may have meant to do a nice thing for your friend, it is very likely that you just added
    >her e-mail address to a variety of spammer's databases. She can expect the volume of spam in her
    >inbox to increase substantially because of your act of kindness. The only way for her to fix it is
    >to start fresh with a new address, something I have to do every couple of years, despite my efforts
    >to keep my e-mail address mungled in one way or another. Such is the price we must pay for using
    >the 'net.

    Do note that Karen was doing this for her sister, not just some random friend, and she implied that
    her sister was already active on the Net. Now, I have personal experience with just how poorly
    siblings can treat the Net, but Karen's been around long enough that I think she can be trusted to
    judge what's appropriate.
    --
    --- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2003 by [email protected])

    Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/ Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer
    het Pythonista

    "What's the point of having an opinion if you don't email it to everyone you know?" --David Sipress

  9. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Mean Green Dancing Machine" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >While you may have meant to do a nice thing for your friend, it is very likely that you just
    > >added her e-mail address to a variety of spammer's databases. She can expect the volume of spam
    > >in her inbox to increase substantially because of your act of kindness. The only way for her to
    > >fix it is to start fresh with a new address, something I have to do every couple of years,
    > >despite my efforts to keep my e-mail address mungled in one way or another. Such is the price we
    > >must pay for using the 'net.
    >
    > Do note that Karen was doing this for her sister, not just some random friend, and she implied
    > that her sister was already active on the Net. Now, I have personal experience with just how
    > poorly siblings can treat the Net, but Karen's been around long enough that I think she can be
    > trusted to judge what's appropriate.

    Please note that it matters not whether it was for a sister or a friend. And long-term activity on
    the 'net does not necessarily imply knowlege of the workings of its more nefarious "members." I am
    continuously educating my family and friends, many of whom have been on the 'net since the mid 90's,
    of the new and improved methods these people utilize to make the rest of the world's online
    experience less than pleasant. As they come up with new ways to scam us, we need to be knowlegeable
    about what they are up to, something which most people know nothing about. I'm sure what Karen did
    was an innocent attempt to make someone else happy. Unfortunately, these things can backfire in the
    online world.

    -Buck

  10. Julie Meikle

    Julie Meikle Guest

    Buck said; "I'm sure what Karen did was an innocent attempt to make someone else happy."

    ....I don't think so!!..........she said; "So if you feel like it, please help with the anonymous
    Good Samaritan thing and drop her an e-mail, or even a greeting card (that will clog up her mailbox
    and get her on all kinds of new spam lists!)."

    ..........!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad she is not my sister!!

  11. "Mean Green Dancing Machine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > Do note that Karen was doing this for her sister, not just some random friend, and she implied
    > that her sister was already active on the Net. Now, I have personal experience with just how
    > poorly siblings can treat the Net, but Karen's been around long enough that I think she can be
    > trusted to judge what's appropriate.

    <snip>

    The funniest part of this whole thing, is that THIS is the oldest scam on the net. You post
    someone's address, and say they are having a birthday, or dieing of cancer or whatever. It's a great
    way to flood someone.

    Let's be serious...would ANYONE care if a million strangers wished them a happy birthday? IMHO,
    Karen was using some gullible people to bash someone she was angry with, no doubt.

    BV.

  12. BenignVanilla wrote:

    > "Mean Green Dancing Machine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > Do note that Karen was doing this for her sister, not just some random friend, and she implied
    > > that her sister was already active on the Net. Now, I have personal experience with just how
    > > poorly siblings can treat the Net, but Karen's been around long enough that I think she can be
    > > trusted to judge what's appropriate.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > The funniest part of this whole thing, is that THIS is the oldest scam on the net. You post
    > someone's address, and say they are having a birthday, or dieing of cancer or whatever. It's a
    > great way to flood someone.
    >
    > Let's be serious...would ANYONE care if a million strangers wished them a happy birthday? IMHO,
    > Karen was using some gullible people to bash someone she was angry with, no doubt.

    They probably have the biggest SPAMbox in the world now.

    Needless to say, if you want to send SPAM to [email protected] or [email protected] we'll take it
    and build your trash into our SPAM fighter..

    -Ron