OT: Pointy Stick Humor

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lee Michaels, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    There has been much discussion over the years in here about pointy sticks.
    (think Wendy or Dr Dickie)

    The folks over at the Wreck (rec.woodworking) also take pointy sticks
    seriously as well. And taking this whole pointy stick thing and applying
    some good, ole' wreck humor to it resulted in the following bit. Enjoy.

    The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

    Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
    Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
    scattered all over hell. I'd like to create a compendium of that
    information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
    gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
    contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
    questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
    subject line "The Pointy Stick Compendium Project".

    Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

    Sincerely

    charlie b

    Director
    The
    Pointy Stick Compendium Project

    - Where can I find plans for a [ _______ ] Pointy Stick ?
    point on the top
    point on the bottom
    point on the left end
    point on the right end
    right handed
    left handed
    -Whats the best way to make Pointy Sticks ?
    (I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools)
    - Anyone have plans for a jig to make Pointy Sticks that's:
    cheap?
    easy?
    "high precision"?
    - Where can I buy a jig to make Pointy Sticks
    that's cheap?
    that's easy to use?
    that is mirco adjustable?
    - What makes a good Pointy Stick good?
    how long should the point be?
    can The Golden Mean be applied to Pointy Stick design?
    should I put a micro point on my Pointy Stick?
    are Japanese laminated point Pointy Sticks worth the extra money?
    - Who makes the best Pointy Stick and why?
    - Should I try and find a Pointy Stick at a flea market and
    restore it or should I just bite the bullet and order a
    LIe NIelsen Pointy Stick?
    - Has anyone seen or actually used the new Veritas Pointy Stick?
    - What wood should I use for my Pointy Stick?
    hard hardwood?
    soft hardwood?
    hard softwood?
    soft softwood?
    what about laminated Pointy Sticks?
    - Is Grain Orientation important for Pointy Sticks and, if so,
    how should the grain be oriented relative to the long axis
    of the Pointy Stick?
    - Is fire hardening the tip worth it?
    - Is it really necessary to polish the tip of my Pointy Stick
    or can I stop at 6000 grit?
    - Should I put a finish on my Pointed Stick and, if so,
    what is the best finish to use on my Pointy Stick?
    - My Pointy Stick split. Any way to repair it or should I just
    start all over?
    - I picked up a Pointy Stick at a garage sale/ was given my
    great great great grandfather's / grandmother's Pointy Stick/
    dug up an old Pointy Stick while digging a new outhouse
    hole / dug up an old Pointy Stick while searching for bottles
    in an OLD outhouse hole:
    where can I find a manual for it?
    how do I get the dirt/paint/motor oil/blood/? off / out of it?
    anyone know how to tell the age of a Pointy Stick?
    is there anyway to find out who made it?
    - Where do you get ideas for your Pointy Sticks
    - Who, in your opinion, was, or is, the best Pointy Stick maker
    - Opinions of Gary Knox Bennett's Pointy Sticks
    - Has James Krenov ever made a Pointy Stick

    Please feel free to add to this list and/or answer any of the
    above questions.

    Here's a footnote from The Origins of the Pointy Stick section
    of the compendium

    *1 Whittting: a fundamentalist form of woodworking. Practioners are
    known as Widdlers in South Eastern North America, Whittlers in most of
    the rest of North America except parts of eastern Canada, Whytthlaeres
    in England, Witliers in Frahnz and the eastern parts of Canada,
    Dasdudeseinsliecendevoodmiteinkniphenteule in the former Austrian Empire
    and "squiggly line, two dots, a slashing curved line with a hook on the
    end and three dots over it" in Arabic

    Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
    the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
    is developing which involves "gnawing" and the use of prehistoric beaver
    teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
    Pointy Stick Concept.

    Tags:

  2. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:10:12 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
    >the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
    >is developing which involves "gnawing" and the use of prehistoric beaver
    >teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
    >Pointy Stick Concept.

    And many a beaver have been impaled by pointy sticks. Young beavers
    seem to have a hard time catching on, some even appearing to enjoy the
    experience. But the older a beaver gets, the more wary she becomes of
    the pointy stick, having endured repeated infection and swelling from
    indiscriminate poking.

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

  3. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:10:12 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    > <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
    >>the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
    >>is developing which involves "gnawing" and the use of prehistoric beaver
    >>teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
    >>Pointy Stick Concept.

    > And many a beaver have been impaled by pointy sticks. Young beavers
    > seem to have a hard time catching on, some even appearing to enjoy the
    > experience. But the older a beaver gets, the more wary she becomes of
    > the pointy stick, having endured repeated infection and swelling from
    > indiscriminate poking.

    The folks over at the wreck have taken this whole pointy stick thing and
    turned it into a novel. It just goes on and on.

    Just goes to show ya what some creative guys can do with a basic premise of
    some kind.

  4. Dr_Dickie

    Dr_Dickie Guest

    "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:10:12 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    > <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
    > >the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
    > >is developing which involves "gnawing" and the use of prehistoric beaver
    > >teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
    > >Pointy Stick Concept.

    > And many a beaver have been impaled by pointy sticks. Young beavers
    > seem to have a hard time catching on, some even appearing to enjoy the
    > experience. But the older a beaver gets, the more wary she becomes of
    > the pointy stick, having endured repeated infection and swelling from
    > indiscriminate poking.
    >
    > -----------
    > Proton Soup

    Maybe, but poking kooks with beavers, just doesn't have the same ring to it!

    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

  5. Delenn

    Delenn Guest

    Lee Michaels wrote:
    > "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:10:12 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    >><leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
    >>>the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
    >>>is developing which involves "gnawing" and the use of prehistoric beaver
    >>>teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
    >>>Pointy Stick Concept.

    >>And many a beaver have been impaled by pointy sticks. Young beavers
    >>seem to have a hard time catching on, some even appearing to enjoy the
    >>experience. But the older a beaver gets, the more wary she becomes of
    >>the pointy stick, having endured repeated infection and swelling from
    >>indiscriminate poking.
    >>

    > The folks over at the wreck have taken this whole pointy stick thing and
    > turned it into a novel. It just goes on and on.

    I didn't read it. I'm trying to stay away from pointy sticks.

    Delenn