OT Politics and Recumbents Go Together

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are passionate about their bikes and are
    very comfortable with riding their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a non-
    conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently contribute to ARBR would also have
    passionate opinions on subjects beyond cycling. Certainly today, unless you live like a monk, the
    politics of the day are everywhere. So it's easy to see how people who care about the world, their
    country, their community will find the ARBR community an excellent forum to speak about bikes,
    rides, gear, and politics. I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to offer their
    opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a damn. I think that is a good thing. I for
    one am going to continue read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. If you think lots of off-topic stuff and flame wars are great for a newsgroup, go visit the
    graveyard of rec.bicycles.soc.

    These guys aren't unique here. They are the ubiquitous souls who just can't ever let go of their
    political bent, and pollute every neighborhood meeting, family reunion, office party, etc. I think
    our cause is really far more important than most of us think - and shouldn't be polluted with the
    crap we can find everywhere else - like TV and radio.

    The return per dollar cycling gives makes it far and away the best investment for transportation,
    health, the environment, etc. Consider the fact that a bike is an exercise machine that provides
    transportation at no extra cost. The fact that recumbents beat regular bikes in many ways
    (particularly in the "I don't use my bike as transportation" category) makes them the "tip of the
    spear". Advancing the technology of recumbents, and spreading the word is a great cause beyond just
    how fun it is.

    Ironically, bikes are so cheap and efficient, they can't provide the giant advertising budgets and
    huge lobbying funds that the auto/road industry uses to shape our world. If we got the same
    subsidies recumbenteering as we did driving, they would have to buy our bikes and gear and still PAY
    us to ride.

    Our cause is big enough in itself. Or as a friend told me once: "Bikes are kind of like toys - yours
    is like serious transportation".

    PS I would like to apologize for rising to their bait, usually when they go on about things they
    haven't any experience in (like Iraq).

    news:[email protected]...

  3. stratrider wrote:

    > I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are passionate about their bikes and
    > are very comfortable with riding their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that
    > a non-conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently contribute to ARBR would also have
    > passionate opinions on subjects beyond cycling.

    I think its safe to say that recumbent riders in general are a decently educated and intelligent
    bunch. It seems very logical to me that an educated and intelligent group such as those who
    frequently contribute to ARBR would be smart enough to find plenty of political discussion groups
    around this great big web, and polite enough not to try to shove politics down our throats.

  4. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 13:11:14 -0800, [email protected] (stratrider) wrote:

    >I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are passionate about their bikes and are
    >very comfortable with riding their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a non-
    >conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently contribute to ARBR would also have
    >passionate opinions on subjects beyond cycling. Certainly today, unless you live like a monk, the
    >politics of the day are everywhere. So it's easy to see how people who care about the world, their
    >country, their community will find the ARBR community an excellent forum to speak about bikes,
    >rides, gear, and politics. I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to offer their
    >opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a damn. I think that is a good thing. I for
    >one am going to continue read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.

    I don't know much about recumbents, but am interested to learn, that's why I read this newsgroup. I
    don't know much about politics either, but, from what I've read, there's not much of a political
    nature that is interesting or valid here, save if you want to read bigoted views that is. Boring
    crap. But the bike stuff I can get in few other places. I appreciate that.

    gb

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > ...I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to offer their opinions on this forum. It
    > says to me these folks give a damn. I think that is a good thing. I for one am going to continue
    > read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.

    Maybe you enjoy it, but I certainly don't. Out of the last 1000 posts, 576 stayed on my server.
    And of the 421 that did make it to my news client, Tom Sherman and Scott Talkington are not yet in
    my Bozo bin like Ed Dolan and I still catch all the replies to Ed Dolan's vitriol. There is not
    much here worth reading anymore. I learned everything I know about recumbents from this NG. If I
    were coming in as a 'bent neophyte today, I probably would not stick around. As it is, I plan to
    hang around until Spring and see if the quality of posts pick up when the Yankees get back on
    their bikes.

    I have about given up on Tom Sherman. I used to think that occasionally something relevant came out
    of that mouth. I am really disappointed in Scott Talkington. Someone that I have met and consider a
    friend as a direct result of this NG.

    OK "Guys" if you really cared as John Reilly suggests, you would cut this crap and say something
    relevant. If you can't say anything relevant, please keep your fingers off the keyboard.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. >I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are passionate about their bikes and are
    >very comfortable with riding their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a non-
    >conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently contribute to ARBR would also have
    >passionate opinions on subjects beyond cycling.

    Personally, I find the behavior/attitude of some of these OT posters as both inconsiderate and rude.
    Fortunately, I am able to quickly ignore most of the junk and find useful nuggets.

    As a recent recumbent rider, I perceive the same stereotype of recumbent riders as sometimes a bit
    (overly) passionate. I was on a recent 6-day ride as the only recumbent amongst ~65 diamond frame
    bicycles. It amused me that a number of the DF riders expected me to be more passionate as "bent is
    best" and I wasn't. In that sense, I don't immediately group myself as a non-conformist bent
    rider...a non-conformist to the non-conformist stereotype?

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  7. Hjs

    Hjs Guest

    I don't mind some political content, as long as you realise this is not a US only newsgroup. If
    you want to discuss US politics, find yourself a nice US politics group. Good boy. pat pat pat. Go
    and play now.

    If you want to talk about anything, keep an open mind and try to keep to the topic. Courteously.

    If you are not open minded, have extremely narrowminded opinions, which you are feeling very strong
    about, or completely off-topic - I just ignore the discussion thread.

    (from south africa)

    On 30 Jan 2004 13:11:14 -0800, [email protected] (stratrider) wrote:

    >I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are passionate about their bikes and are
    >very comfortable with riding their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a non-
    >conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently contribute to ARBR would also have
    >passionate opinions on subjects beyond cycling. Certainly today, unless you live like a monk, the
    >politics of the day are everywhere. So it's easy to see how people who care about the world, their
    >country, their community will find the ARBR community an excellent forum to speak about bikes,
    >rides, gear, and politics. I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to offer their
    >opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a damn. I think that is a good thing. I for
    >one am going to continue read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.
    >
    >Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    .

    > (from south africa)

    You are the first South African that I have noticed visiting this NG. I would like to know more
    about cycling conditions and 'bents in your part of the world. Can you start such a thread?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    [...]

    > PS I would like to apologize for rising to their bait, usually when they go on about things they
    > haven't any experience in (like Iraq).

    Mr. Haston has been to Iraq and seen a bit of the blood and gore of the war and so he now thinks he
    is an expert on the subject of the War on Terror and those of us who have not been to Iraq and
    seen a bit of the blood and gore of the war don't know what we are talking about. That is always
    the way it is with no-nothings and self styled experts. But thank God we live in a democracy and
    everyone can have their say without clearing it with him first.

    Kerry is especially pathetic going about throwing his Vietnam war experience in our faces when he
    never met a weapons program yet that he could support or vote for in the U.S. Senate. If it was up
    to him our armed forces would have nothing to fight with except their bare knuckles. And so it is
    with all these pitiful Dems who will not support this country in its struggle against its enemies -
    unless running to the UN like cry babies counts of course.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  10. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > ...I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to offer their opinions on this forum. It
    > > says to me these folks give a damn. I think that is a good thing. I for one am going to continue
    > > read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.
    >
    > Maybe you enjoy it, but I certainly don't. Out of the last 1000 posts, 576 stayed on my server.
    > And of the 421 that did make it to my news client, Tom Sherman and Scott Talkington are not yet in
    > my Bozo bin like Ed Dolan and I still catch all the replies to Ed Dolan's vitriol. There is not
    > much here worth reading anymore. I learned everything I know about recumbents from this NG. If I
    > were coming in as a 'bent neophyte today, I probably would not stick around. As it is, I plan to
    > hang around until Spring and see if the quality of posts pick up when the Yankees get back on
    > their bikes.
    >
    > I have about given up on Tom Sherman. I used to think that occasionally something relevant came
    > out of that mouth. I am really disappointed in Scott Talkington. Someone that I have met and
    > consider a friend as a direct result of this NG.
    >
    > OK "Guys" if you really cared as John Reilly suggests, you would cut this crap and say something
    > relevant. If you can't say anything relevant, please keep your fingers off the keyboard.

    Most of the guys on this newsgroup seem honest and fair to me but I have a special animus toward Mr.
    Lee of Houston, Texas. The OT stuff is not the bread and butter of ARBR and no one in their right
    mind would want it to be. The political comments are just that; they are comments, sort of little
    asides. There is no way to eliminate them as otherwise one person, invariably some liberal nut case,
    would have a field day and the rest of you would not do anything about it. So I am here to prevent
    that kind of monopoly from taking place.

    Please note that Mr. Lee, although he says he does not appreciate OT political posts, would never
    himself do anything about it. No, he would listen to Mr. Sherman and other liberals all day long and
    into the night and nary say a word against them. What he can't stand is some opposition and some
    fireworks (what he calls vitriol). Again, please note that he does not kill file any liberals, only
    conservatives. This is why I do not appreciate someone like Mr. Lee. He is not fair and is he not
    even honest. I for one will be glad when
    Mr. Lee leaves this newsgroup and we will no longer have to put up with his biased complaining.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  11. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > ...as long as you realise this is not a US only newsgroup.
    > .
    > >
    > > (from south africa)
    >
    > You are the first South African that I have noticed visiting this NG. I would like to know more
    > about cycling conditions and 'bents in your part of the world. Can you start such a thread?

    I would be especially interested in knowing if it is even safe to go riding a bicycle out on the
    open road in South Africa. It is my understanding that South Africa has one of the highest crime
    (murder) rates in the world, and a lot of it is stranger on stranger, the worst kind of crime for a
    cyclist traveling alone through the countryside.

    Has anyone on this newsgroup ever heard of anyone doing an open road cycling trip in Israel I
    wonder? Maybe Mr. Haston could enlighten us on the cycling possibilities in Iraq since he has been
    there and knows all about the place.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  12. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Robert:

    "I think our cause is really far more important than most of us think - and shouldn't be polluted
    with the crap we can find everywhere else - like TV and radio."

    Tell that to the leadership of IHPVA which inisisted on publishing an article in the supposedly
    "technical" newsletter opposing the Iraq War (after which I promptly cancelled my membership). And
    for the record, I posted on a topic which although taboo is nonetheless related to cycling. Although
    few have dared comment on the newsgroup itself, I've received numerous emails from cyclists who
    routinely "carry" but don't let on. So the thread itself should really be identified as "UTR" (under
    the rug) rather than "OT."

    And thanks to the folks who emailed me their anecdotal experiences and encouragement. That's what I
    was looking for.

    --
    --Scott
    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you think lots of off-topic stuff and flame wars are great for a
    > newsgroup, go visit the graveyard of rec.bicycles.soc.
    >
    > These guys aren't unique here. They are the ubiquitous souls who just
    can't
    > ever let go of their political bent, and pollute every neighborhood
    meeting,
    > family reunion, office party, etc. I think our cause is really far more
    > important than most of us think - and shouldn't be polluted with the crap
    > we can find everywhere else - like TV and radio.
    >
    > The return per dollar cycling gives makes it far and away the best
    > investment for transportation, health, the environment, etc. Consider the
    > fact that a bike is an exercise machine that provides transportation at no
    > extra cost. The fact that recumbents beat regular bikes in many ways
    > (particularly in the "I don't use my bike as transportation" category)
    makes
    > them the "tip of the spear". Advancing the technology of recumbents, and
    > spreading the word is a great cause beyond just how fun it is.
    >
    > Ironically, bikes are so cheap and efficient, they can't provide the giant
    > advertising budgets and huge lobbying funds that the auto/road industry
    uses
    > to shape our world. If we got the same subsidies recumbenteering as we
    did
    > driving, they would have to buy our bikes and gear and still PAY us to
    ride.

    > Our cause is big enough in itself. Or as a friend told me once: "Bikes
    are
    > kind of like toys - yours is like serious transportation".
    >
    > PS I would like to apologize for rising to their bait, usually when they
    go
    > on about things they haven't any experience in (like Iraq).
    >

    > "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are
    > > passionate about their bikes and are very comfortable with riding
    > > their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a
    > > non-conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently
    > > contribute to ARBR would also have passionate opinions on subjects
    > > beyond cycling. Certainly today, unless you live like a monk, the
    > > politics of the day are everywhere. So it's easy to see how people
    > > who care about the world, their country, their community will find the
    > > ARBR community an excellent forum to speak about bikes, rides, gear,
    > > and politics. I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to
    > > offer their opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a
    > > damn. I think that is a good thing. I for one am going to continue
    > > read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.
    > >
    > > Jim Reilly
    > > Reading, PA

  13. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    OK, when you "internationals" (including the IHPVA newsletter) get tired of criticising the US and
    US political figures let us know.

    --
    --Scott
    "HJS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't mind some political content, as long as you realise this is
    > not a US only newsgroup. If you want to discuss US politics, find
    > yourself a nice US politics group. Good boy. pat pat pat. Go and play
    > now.
    >
    > If you want to talk about anything, keep an open mind and try to keep
    > to the topic. Courteously.
    >
    > If you are not open minded, have extremely narrowminded opinions,
    > which you are feeling very strong about, or completely off-topic - I
    > just ignore the discussion thread.
    >
    > (from south africa)
    >
    > On 30 Jan 2004 13:11:14 -0800, [email protected] (stratrider) wrote:
    >
    > >I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are
    > >passionate about their bikes and are very comfortable with riding
    > >their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a
    > >non-conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently
    > >contribute to ARBR would also have passionate opinions on subjects
    > >beyond cycling. Certainly today, unless you live like a monk, the
    > >politics of the day are everywhere. So it's easy to see how people
    > >who care about the world, their country, their community will find the
    > >ARBR community an excellent forum to speak about bikes, rides, gear,
    > >and politics. I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to
    > >offer their opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a
    > >damn. I think that is a good thing. I for one am going to continue
    > >read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.
    > >
    > >Jim Reilly
    > >Reading, PA

  14. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    You'd think they'd also be smart enough to know how to hit the "ignore thread" button.

    --
    --Scott
    "Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > stratrider wrote:
    >
    > > I think it is safe to say that recumbent riders in general are
    > > passionate about their bikes and are very comfortable with riding
    > > their non-traditional machines. It seems very logical to me that a
    > > non-conforming, passionate group such as those who frequently
    > > contribute to ARBR would also have passionate opinions on subjects
    > > beyond cycling.
    >
    > I think its safe to say that recumbent riders in general are a decently
    > educated and intelligent bunch. It seems very logical to me that an
    > educated and intelligent group such as those who frequently contribute
    > to ARBR would be smart enough to find plenty of political discussion
    > groups around this great big web, and polite enough not to try to shove
    > politics down our throats.

  15. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Cletus:

    "I am really disappointed in Scott Talkington. Someone that I have met and consider a friend as a
    direct result of this NG."

    For the record, I posted originally on a bike topic that's almost universally swept under the rug.
    And judging by the number of private emails I've received also one that commands at least some
    attention from people not too keen to break the surface tension around the topic. When I began to
    see all the standard shiboleths trotted out in response to my post, no doubt intended to keep the
    surface tension intact, I responded in a civil manner. And I think that the thread has remained
    relatively civil so far. If people really want to dicuss the Iraq War and Education Policy the
    Blogosphere is really a much better place. And I'm *still* primarily interested in opinions about
    firearms, and holstering issues, that are suitable for carry on a recumbent. And the reason I posted
    here about it is that, well, there just aren't that many recumbent riders who post on HighRoad, so
    this seemed like the natural place to go.

    (I don't think I'd lug a 1911 on the MoM.)

    --
    --Scott
    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > ...I appreciate the willingness of Ed, Tom, and others to
    > > offer their opinions on this forum. It says to me these folks give a
    > > damn. I think that is a good thing. I for one am going to continue
    > > read the bike threads and the OT threads. Guys, thanks for caring.
    >
    > Maybe you enjoy it, but I certainly don't. Out of the last 1000 posts,
    > 576 stayed on my server. And of the 421 that did make it to my news
    > client, Tom Sherman and Scott Talkington are not yet in my Bozo bin
    > like Ed Dolan and I still catch all the replies to Ed Dolan's vitriol.
    > There is not much here worth reading anymore. I learned everything I
    > know about recumbents from this NG. If I were coming in as a 'bent
    > neophyte today, I probably would not stick around. As it is, I plan to
    > hang around until Spring and see if the quality of posts pick up when
    > the Yankees get back on their bikes.
    >
    > I have about given up on Tom Sherman. I used to think that occasionally
    > something relevant came out of that mouth. I am really disappointed in
    > Scott Talkington. Someone that I have met and consider a friend as a
    > direct result of this NG.
    >
    > OK "Guys" if you really cared as John Reilly suggests, you would cut
    > this crap and say something relevant. If you can't say anything
    > relevant, please keep your fingers off the keyboard.
    >
    > --
    > Cletus D. Lee
    > Bacchetta Giro
    > Lightning Voyager
    > http://www.clee.org
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  16. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I've found Mr. Lee pretty fair, and he can killfile anyone he likes. It's his killfile. Hardly
    anyone I know likes to see opinions that make them uncomfortable, and I can't really fault anyone
    for wanting to ignore this stuff. I don't, but then it's my field. And seeing someone post an ill-
    informed opinion about some social topic is like seeing someone make a claim that violates the First
    Law of Thermodynamics to a Physicist or Engineer.

    Which reminds me, how do you keep those Strings from getting caught in your spokes?

    --
    --Scott
    news:[email protected]...

  17. Freewheeling wrote:
    > You'd think they'd also be smart enough to know how to hit the "ignore thread" button.

    You mean over and over and over and over again? Gets quite annoying after a while.

    There are dozens, maybe hundreds of USENET newsgroups dedicated to political discussions, and only
    one dedicated to recumbents. So the possibilities are:

    - You folks *want* to annoy us

    - You folks don't know how to look for a proper newsgroup

    - You folks are too chicken to discuss politics with others who are also interested in discussing
    it, and who will have a lot of good arguments that go against your points of view, and you'll be
    forced to actually defend your political positions instead of just posting it where people don't
    want to discuss it.

    Joao "the talk.politics.* hierarchy is down the block and either to your left or right depending on
    your inclination" de Souza

  18. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    I don't mind some political content, as long as you realise this is not a US only newsgroup. If you want to discuss US politics, find yourself a nice US politics group. {b]Good boy. pat pat pat. Go
    and play now.

    If you want to talk about anything, keep an open mind and try to keep to the topic. Courtesly.>>>>

    You mean like you just did?

  19. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Joao:

    Apparently you *don't* know how to ignore a thread. Perhaps your newreader software won't
    allow you to?

    --
    --Scott
    "Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Freewheeling wrote:
    > > You'd think they'd also be smart enough to know how to hit the "ignore
    > > thread" button.
    >
    > You mean over and over and over and over again? Gets quite annoying
    > after a while.
    >
    > There are dozens, maybe hundreds of USENET newsgroups dedicated to
    > political discussions, and only one dedicated to recumbents. So the
    > possibilities are:
    >
    > - You folks *want* to annoy us
    >
    > - You folks don't know how to look for a proper newsgroup
    >
    > - You folks are too chicken to discuss politics with others who are also
    > interested in discussing it, and who will have a lot of good arguments
    > that go against your points of view, and you'll be forced to actually
    > defend your political positions instead of just posting it where people
    > don't want to discuss it.
    >
    > Joao "the talk.politics.* hierarchy is down the block and either to your
    > left or right depending on your inclination" de Souza

  20. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've found Mr. Lee pretty fair, and he can killfile anyone he likes. It's his killfile. Hardly
    > anyone I know likes to see opinions that make them uncomfortable, and I can't really fault anyone
    > for wanting to ignore this stuff. I don't, but then it's my field. And seeing someone post an ill-
    > informed opinion about some social topic is like seeing someone make a claim that violates the
    > First Law of Thermodynamics to a Physicist or Engineer.

    Mr. Lee can kill file anyone he wants and that is fine with me, but why can't he shut up about it?
    I feel honored that I am in his kill file. But he keeps blathering on this newsgroup about how
    he has kill filed me. In other words, he can keep bad mouthing me even though he does not read
    me. How is that possible? He is doing nothing but recruiting others to his side as if they
    can't make up their own minds. I am returning the favor with my less than complimentary
    remarks about him. Is it OK with you if I do not think Mr. Lee is Mr. Wonderful? Frankly, I
    think he is a jerk!

    Ms. Lee mentioned in his post below that he is thinking about leaving this newsgroup this spring for
    greener pastures. I say good riddance! He has probably been here long enough and has outworn any
    welcome he initially had. Some folks have been here so long that they think they own this
    newsgroup.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota