OT: question for any chandlers (candle makers) out there

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Does a mixture of beef tallow and paraffin make a decent candle? I know a tallow and beeswax mixture
    was commonly used to make household candles before paraffin, and steric acid (made from tallow by
    removing the glycerin) is used to harden paraffin and make it more opaque. What about just using
    half tallow and half paraffin? I have a few pounds of tallow in the freezer, and I don't feel like
    making soap with it.

    Also, I have some #2 cotton wicking. Is that too big for dipping candles?

    Thanks, regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does a mixture of beef tallow and paraffin make a decent candle? I know a tallow and beeswax
    > mixture was commonly used to make household candles before paraffin, and steric acid (made from
    > tallow by removing the glycerin) is used to harden paraffin and make it more opaque. What about
    > just using half tallow and half paraffin? I have a few pounds of tallow in the freezer, and I
    > don't feel like making soap with it.
    >
    > Also, I have some #2 cotton wicking. Is that too big for dipping candles?
    >
    > Thanks, regards, Bob

    Just did a quick google search and it looks like Tallow candles traditionally just used the pure
    animal fat.

    Likely to smell funny while buring so I like your mixed idea better. Be sure to add some scent tho'
    such as candleberry or bayberry.

    Experiment and see, and get back with us. Rather than waste a lot of tallow, consider a molded
    rather than a dipped candle. Any waxed paper container will work, or metal candle molds of
    course. :)

    Sterene slows the burning down according to Davida, a teacher of mine.

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...