OT: Question for the video folks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro

    Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)

    Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)

    Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio

    Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless" transition
    in image 002.

    I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.

    I thank you in advance for any help.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

    Tags:

  2. Technician wrote:

    > I thank you in advance for any help.

    Heh, your computer seems pretty fast. Im guessing that its the capture card. It isnt the best for
    capturing is it.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  3. Technician wrote:

    > well no, but it is what i could afford after buying the computer. but the point is, it worked
    > before, now its all fragmented.

    Hmm, check connections and such (which Im sure youve done already, but its something for
    me to say :)

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > Heh, your computer seems pretty fast. Im guessing that its the capture card. It isnt the best for
    > capturing is it.

    well no, but it is what i could afford after buying the computer. but the point is, it worked
    before, now its all fragmented.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  5. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.

    If you have a printer attached, try shutting it off. I've seen certain drivers (HPs are notorious)
    poll printers in ways which are quite disruptive.

    I have a vaguely similar setup which works pretty good (Hauppauge tv card on
    1.5Ghz machine)

  6. D_d

    D_d Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    >
    > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    >
    > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    >

    > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless" transition
    > in image 002.
    >
    > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    >
    > I thank you in advance for any help.

    Some cards won't work well or at all with winxp. They can also cause problems with certain grafics
    cards If it's a pci card try it in a different slot.

    --
    D_D

  7. Smokin Joker

    Smokin Joker Guest

    SNIP
    > well no, but it is what i could afford after buying the computer. but the point is, it worked
    > before, now its all fragmented.
    SNIP

    Worked before what? Have you tried more mem? 256 is about the minimium these days. Check for updated
    soundcard drivers. Old soundcard drivers can slow your system down more than anything else. Try an
    ATI all-In-Wonder card like the 8500. I am a Nvidia guy at heart but have a 7500 in my wifes machine
    that runs great for video recording. Also try shutting down all services exept the bear essentials.
    XP pro is a resource hog if you dont watch it.

    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide

    Try that like if you havent been there already. At the bottom there is a winxp tweak guide. Also
    there is a bios tweak too.

    Next time you might want to build your own computer also. Saves time and money plus you get name
    brand parts. As well as a great learning expierence, if you can turn a screwdriver and read you can
    put a puter together.

    Late Smokin Joker

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Smokin_Joker1 @yahoo.com says...

    > SNIP
    > > well no, but it is what i could afford after buying the computer. but the point is, it worked
    > > before, now its all fragmented.
    > SNIP
    >
    > Worked before what?

    the last time a captured video was about a week and a half ago. worked fine then.

    > Have you tried more mem? 256 is about the minimium these days.

    if i had the money for more memory, i would have bought a better video capture card. i know 256 in
    the min, but when i chose the components on the Dell website i had to cut costs, and memory one one
    of the cuts.

    > Check for updated soundcard drivers. Old soundcard drivers can slow your system down more than
    > anything else.

    I'm running beta drivers as it is. there is just barely support for the SB Live 5.1 in XP. i have
    the latest drivers available. and it doesn't seem to slow anything down. i have recorded at 32 bit
    stereo, 192 KHz with only a little fragmentation (maybe 30 lost frames in 3 minutes), but then, its
    also only fragments when i do something else (like minimize the recording window). But when
    recording the video, i was recording at 16 bit mono, 48 KHz.

    > Try an ATI all-In-Wonder card like the 8500. I am a Nvidia guy at heart but have a 7500 in my
    > wifes machine that runs great for video recording. Also try shutting down all services exept the
    > bear essentials. XP pro is a resource hog if you dont watch it.
    >
    > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide
    >
    > Try that like if you havent been there already. At the bottom there is a winxp tweak guide. Also
    > there is a bios tweak too.

    I checked it and i already have XP tweaked as much as my use of it will allow.

    > Next time you might want to build your own computer also. Saves time and money plus you get name
    > brand parts. As well as a great learning expierence, if you can turn a screwdriver and read you
    > can put a puter together.

    it may save time, but not money. i bought this system from dell for far less than i could have
    bought the same components separately (calculated to about a $700 savings by my research). And
    BTW, my nickname refers to my computer experience. Computers are my hobby, as well as my desired
    profession. I have put together many a computer in my day, as well as repairing a few PSUs, and
    one monitor.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    >
    > If you have a printer attached, try shutting it off. I've seen certain drivers (HPs are notorious)
    > poll printers in ways which are quite disruptive.
    >
    > I have a vaguely similar setup which works pretty good (Hauppauge tv card on
    > 1.5Ghz machine)

    only printer is network attached (though is an HP).

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > >
    > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > >
    > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > >

    > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless"
    > > transition in image 002.
    > >
    > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > >
    > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > >

    > Some cards won't work well or at all with winxp. They can also cause problems with certain grafics
    > cards If it's a pci card try it in a different slot.

    I think it must work with XP as MS provided the drivers for it (as if that means much).

    I have one more PCI slot so i think i may try that. I'll post back with the results.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  11. Smokin Joker

    Smokin Joker Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, Smokin_Joker1 @yahoo.com says...
    > >
    > > SNIP
    > > > well no, but it is what i could afford after buying the computer. but the point is, it worked
    > > > before, now its all fragmented.
    > > SNIP
    > >
    > > Worked before what?
    >
    > the last time a captured video was about a week and a half ago. worked fine then.
    >
    > > Have you tried more mem? 256 is about the minimium these days.
    >
    > if i had the money for more memory, i would have bought a better video capture card. i know 256 in
    > the min, but when i chose the components on the Dell website i had to cut costs, and memory one
    > one of the cuts.
    >
    > > Check for updated soundcard drivers. Old soundcard drivers can slow your system down more than
    > > anything else.
    >
    > I'm running beta drivers as it is. there is just barely support for the SB Live 5.1 in XP. i have
    > the latest drivers available. and it doesn't seem to slow anything down. i have recorded at 32 bit
    > stereo, 192 KHz with only a little fragmentation (maybe 30 lost frames in 3 minutes), but then,
    > its also only fragments when i do something else (like minimize the recording window). But when
    > recording the video, i was recording at 16 bit mono, 48 KHz.
    >
    > > Try an ATI all-In-Wonder card like the 8500. I am a Nvidia guy at heart but have a 7500 in my
    > > wifes machine that runs great for video recording. Also try shutting down all services exept the
    > > bear essentials. XP pro is a resource hog if you dont watch
    it.

    > > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide
    > >
    > > Try that like if you havent been there already. At the bottom there is a winxp tweak guide. Also
    > > there is a bios tweak too.
    >
    > I checked it and i already have XP tweaked as much as my use of it will allow.
    >

    > > Next time you might want to build your own computer also. Saves time and money plus you get name
    > > brand parts. As well as a great learning
    expierence,
    > > if you can turn a screwdriver and read you can put a puter together.
    > >

    > it may save time, but not money. i bought this system from dell for far less than i could have
    > bought the same components separately (calculated to about a $700 savings by my research). And
    > BTW, my nickname refers to my computer experience. Computers are my hobby, as well as my desired
    > profession. I have put together many a computer in my day, as well as repairing a few PSUs, and
    > one monitor.

    Maybe you need to shop somewhere else because I KNOW that your system can be built for less than
    what dell charges for them. Computers ARE my profession and hobby. So I do know what I am speaking
    of. As for your nickname it only implies you are a technician but of what is another story. You
    could be a medical tech, an auto tech, or a bicycle tech, so assuming you were a computer tech was
    not a given.

    > ~Travis
    > --
    > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    >
    > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can
    > be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  12. "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    >
    > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    >
    > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    >
    > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    >

    > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless" transition
    > in image 002.
    >
    > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    >
    > I thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > ~Travis
    > --
    > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    >
    > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can
    > be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

    You may have tried this, or been given this answer (I didn't read all the other replies), but try
    running a defrag several time on your hard drive. I've run into the same issue before, and deleting
    all the temp video files created by premiere and running a defrag fixes it every time.

    good luck.

  13. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro

    WinRule #1. More ram, less CPU. oops...too late. A 2Ghz CPU, with 1GB ram would probably
    work better.

    > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless" transition
    > in image 002.

    reinstall your codecs. defrag your HD remove all old temp files buy another (faster) HD check
    www.dvdhelp.com for further info, advice and s/w recommendations.

    Pete

  14. Technician wrote:

    > And BTW, my nickname refers to my computer experience. Computers are my hobby, as well as my
    > desired profession. I have put together many a computer in my day, as well as repairing a few
    > PSUs, and one monitor.

    So why did you post a techy question to a mtb newsgroup?

    Wouldnt alt.comp.* be better?

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  15. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > And BTW, my nickname refers to my computer experience. Computers are my hobby, as well as my
    > > desired profession. I have put together many a computer in my day, as well as repairing a few
    > > PSUs, and one monitor.
    >
    > So why did you post a techy question to a mtb newsgroup?
    >
    > Wouldnt alt.comp.* be better?

    Because we're all a bunch of computer geeks trying to look cool by riding mountain bikes. ;^)

    Mike - have masking tape holding my Smith Sliders together at the nosepiece.

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @clothes.megalink.net says...
    > > Technician wrote:
    > >
    > > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > > > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > > >
    > > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > > >
    > > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > > >
    > > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > > >

    > > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images
    > > > 001, 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless"
    > > > transition in image 002.
    > > >
    > > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > > >
    > > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > > >

    > > Some cards won't work well or at all with winxp. They can also cause problems with certain
    > > grafics cards If it's a pci card try it in a different slot.
    > >

    > I think it must work with XP as MS provided the drivers for it (as if that means much).
    >
    > I have one more PCI slot so i think i may try that. I'll post back with the results.
    >
    > ~Travis

    Changed PCI slots, though it didn't help. if anything i think it made it worse.

    I'd try the coax input (video camera has an RF out on the PSU) but then it would only be mono, and
    would limit the video sources so its not really worth it.

    I may just have to deal with it until i get money for a better card. I also realised that the
    drivers do in facy come form the TV cards OEM disk, though i don't remember needing it, it asked
    for it when i changed slots. I'll have a look at the OEM site and see if they have drivers
    specific to XP.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  17. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > >
    > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > >
    > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > >

    > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless"
    > > transition in image 002.
    > >
    > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > >
    > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    > > --
    > > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    > >
    > > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC
    > > can be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown
    >

    > You may have tried this, or been given this answer (I didn't read all the other replies), but try
    > running a defrag several time on your hard drive. I've run into the same issue before, and
    > deleting all the temp video files created by premiere and running a defrag fixes it every time.
    >
    > good luck.

    Hmm, I haven't tried defragging yet. as for the temp video files, how do i differentiate then from
    other temp files (though i may just end up deleting them all)?

    I upgraded the drivers for the TV card, though now i think capture is far worse. now i can only do
    it via the WinTV2000 program. I think i will revert the drivers, defrag, and go temp file hunting.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  18. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > >
    > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > >
    > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > >

    > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as an example, see images 001,
    > > 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/ notice the "seamless"
    > > transition in image 002.
    > >
    > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > >
    > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    > > --
    > > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    > >
    > > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC
    > > can be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown
    >

    > You may have tried this, or been given this answer (I didn't read all the other replies), but try
    > running a defrag several time on your hard drive. I've run into the same issue before, and
    > deleting all the temp video files created by premiere and running a defrag fixes it every time.
    >
    > good luck.

    Well, i've given up on the damn thing, because... <Rant> ...windows xp is far too incompetent for
    its own good. after removing the bad driver, it tried to install it again, and then it has the nerve
    to ask me where the files went. when i cancel, it think it has misunderstood me, so it asks again.
    I'm thinking the software gene pool at M$ has been corrupted by far too much in-breading.

    So, knowing the only way to resolve this issue further would be to re- install windows to really
    kill the bad driver, i feel it is not worth the effort for a $75 POS capture card. i'll just put the
    damn thing on ebay or something. or perhaps i'll connect it to the poll pig i have laying around
    (for those who do not know what a poll pig is, its the distribution transformers on the power
    polls). just have to jury-rig a connection to the fuse box (nice 200 amp connection), making sure to
    connect it in reverse (step up configuration). i'd video tape it and make it available for all to
    see, but i would have no way of digitising it now would i? i'm sure it would have made for one hell
    of a show. maybe could have sent it to [email protected]

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

  19. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    > > > w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > > >
    > > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > > >
    > > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > > >
    > > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > > >

    > > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as
    an
    > > > example, see images 001, 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/
    > > > notice the "seamless" transition in image 002.
    > > >
    > > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > > >
    > > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > > >
    > > > ~Travis
    > > > --
    > > > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    > > >
    > > > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC
    > > > can be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown
    > >

    > > You may have tried this, or been given this answer (I didn't read all
    the
    > > other replies), but try running a defrag several time on your hard
    drive.
    > > I've run into the same issue before, and deleting all the temp video
    files
    > > created by premiere and running a defrag fixes it every time.
    > >
    > > good luck.
    > >

    > Hmm, I haven't tried defragging yet. as for the temp video files, how do i differentiate then from
    > other temp files (though i may just end up deleting them all)?
    >
    > I upgraded the drivers for the TV card, though now i think capture is far worse. now i can only do
    > it via the WinTV2000 program. I think i will revert the drivers, defrag, and go temp file hunting.

    I've got your solution, Travis!

    Watch your credit card statements for those "special offers" on the flap of the return envelope.

    One of them will be for a Bell & Howell (or similar "name brand") 35-mm camera. Cost? $3.95
    (incl. S& H).

    Insert film. Take pics. Enjoy :)

    Bill "I rely on the techiness of strangers" S.

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > Well, i've given up on the damn thing, because... <Rant> ...windows xp is far too incompetent for
    > its own good. after removing the bad driver, it tried to install it again, and then it has the
    > nerve to ask me where the files went. when i cancel, it think it has misunderstood me, so it asks
    > again. I'm thinking the software gene pool at M$ has been corrupted by far too much in-breading.
    >
    > So, knowing the only way to resolve this issue further would be to re- install windows to really
    > kill the bad driver, i feel it is not worth the effort for a $75 POS capture card. i'll just put
    > the damn thing on ebay or something.

    Ah Travis, you'll never be a computer technician with an attitude like that...