OT: Question for the video folks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technician

Technician Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > Ok, here's what i have. PC Dell P4 2.46 Ghz 256MB ram 40G drive AGP N-Vidia GeForce 4 Ti
    > > > > 4200 w/TV-Out (S-Video) Windows XP Pro
    > > > >
    > > > > Video Capture Hauppauge WinTV 878 (i know, sucks, but for analog video it works good enough)
    > > > >
    > > > > Audio Capture SB Live 5.1 (Line-In, gota love the digital cross-talk hiss)
    > > > >
    > > > > Capture Software Adobe Premiere 6.0 Cinepak compression, 320X240 res w/ 16 bit mono audio
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Ok, when i capture the video, it seems to get high fragmentation. as
    > an
    > > > > example, see images 001, 002, and 003 at http://www.megalink.net/ ~farmers/tmp/fraged_vid/
    > > > > notice the "seamless" transition in image 002.
    > > > >
    > > > > I have checked for hardware conflicts, tried lower resolutions
    > > > > (240X180), and even shutdown any background tasks that i could.
    > > > >
    > > > > I thank you in advance for any help.
    > > > >
    > > > > ~Travis
    > > > > --
    > > > > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    > > > >
    > > > > Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux
    > > > > DashPC can be found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC:
    > > > > Unknown
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > You may have tried this, or been given this answer (I didn't read all
    > the
    > > > other replies), but try running a defrag several time on your hard
    > drive.
    > > > I've run into the same issue before, and deleting all the temp video
    > files
    > > > created by premiere and running a defrag fixes it every time.
    > > >
    > > > good luck.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Hmm, I haven't tried defragging yet. as for the temp video files, how do i differentiate then
    > > from other temp files (though i may just end up deleting them all)?
    > >
    > > I upgraded the drivers for the TV card, though now i think capture is far worse. now i can only
    > > do it via the WinTV2000 program. I think i will revert the drivers, defrag, and go temp file
    > > hunting.
    >
    > I've got your solution, Travis!
    >
    > Watch your credit card statements for those "special offers" on the flap of the return envelope.
    >
    > One of them will be for a Bell & Howell (or similar "name brand") 35-mm camera. Cost? $3.95
    > (incl. S& H).
    >
    > Insert film. Take pics. Enjoy :)
    >
    > Bill "I rely on the techiness of strangers" S.
    >
    >
    >

Why would i want a cheap 35mm camera when i have a perfectly fine digital camera?

~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

2. Technician

Technician Guest

> Technician wrote:
    >
    > > Well, i've given up on the damn thing, because... <Rant> ...windows xp is far too incompetent
    > > for its own good. after removing the bad driver, it tried to install it again, and then it has
    > > the nerve to ask me where the files went. when i cancel, it think it has misunderstood me, so it
    > > asks again. I'm thinking the software gene pool at M$ has been corrupted by far too much
    > > in-breading.
    > >
    > > So, knowing the only way to resolve this issue further would be to re- install windows to really
    > > kill the bad driver, i feel it is not worth the effort for a $75 POS capture card. i'll just put
    > > the damn thing on ebay or something.
    >
    > Ah Travis, you'll never be a computer technician with an attitude like that...
    >
    >

Well, windows started it ;-)

i have since moved the card to my Linux PC. perhaps i'll use it as a webcam or something. at least
    untill i can get windows to realize that the drivers it wants are gone and not coming back, so i can
    install the correct drivers.

~Travis
    --

Currently developing a spin-off of the Linux DashPC, for windows. info about the Linux DashPC can be
    found at their site (www.dashpc.com). expected release date of Win-DashPC: Unknown

3. John Harlow

John Harlow Guest

> i have since moved the card to my Linux PC. perhaps i'll use it as a webcam or something. at least
    > untill i can get windows to realize that the drivers it wants are gone and not coming back, so i
    > can install the correct drivers.

If you do decide to try again, go into task manager and try to kill *every task* (it won't allow you
    to kill the ones you really shouldn't) then try
    it.

If that makes any difference, you'll know it was one of them - and then the hunt can begin.

4. Technician

Technician Guest

> >
    > > i have since moved the card to my Linux PC. perhaps i'll use it as a webcam or something. at
    > > least untill i can get windows to realize that the drivers it wants are gone and not coming
    > > back, so i can install the correct drivers.
    >
    >
    > If you do decide to try again, go into task manager and try to kill *every task* (it won't allow
    > you to kill the ones you really shouldn't) then try
    > it.
    >
    > If that makes any difference, you'll know it was one of them - and then the hunt can begin.
    >
    >
    >
    >

i assume by task manager you mean to kill the services as well?

I'll give it a try.

~Travis
    --

5. > >
    > > i have since moved the card to my Linux PC. perhaps i'll use it as a webcam or something. at
    > > least untill i can get windows to realize that the drivers it wants are gone and not coming
    > > back, so i can install the correct drivers.
    >

Try uninstalling in safe mode. (nothing of any use works mode)
    --

6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > >
    > > > i have since moved the card to my Linux PC. perhaps i'll use it as a webcam or something. at
    > > > least untill i can get windows to realize that the drivers it wants are gone and not coming
    > > > back, so i can install the correct drivers.
    > >
    >
    > Try uninstalling in safe mode. (nothing of any use works mode)
    >

And by uninstall I mean delete from the device manager.
    --

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.