OT:question re: "NASA EARTHLIGHTS" mystery triangle

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancree, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    Tags:

  2. Nancree wrote:

    > On the NASA Earthlights site, which has been discussed here before:
    >
    > http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg
    >
    > there is a strange lighted triangle, very geometric, unlike the rest of
    the
    > map, at the entrance to the Arabian Gulf. Does anyone have any idea what
    it
    > could be?

    Oil wells.

    --
    Best Greg

  3. John Gaquin

    John Gaquin Guest

    "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > there is a strange lighted triangle, very geometric, unlike the rest of
    the
    > map, at the entrance to the Arabian Gulf.

    Just to clarify, are you talking about the triangular land area that points north, just at the point
    where the waterway (Straight of Hormuz) makes the sharp bend leading into the Persian Gulf?

    JG

  4. Royal

    Royal Guest

    On 07 Feb 2004 22:31:20 GMT, [email protected] (Nancree) wrote:

    >On the NASA Earthlights site, which has been discussed here before:
    >
    >http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg
    >
    >there is a strange lighted triangle, very geometric, unlike the rest of the map, at the entrance to
    >the Arabian Gulf. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

    I didn't realize it was that pronounced, but it is the most populated part of United Arab Emirates.
    The triangle is bounded on the north by Dubayy and its suburbs, on the southwest by Abu Dhabi, and
    on the southeast by Al Buraymi. North of Dubayy is fairly populated also, all the way to Khasab at
    the Strait of Hormuz. The populated area stops on the east at Al Buraymi because east of Al Buraymi
    is the Al Hajar mountains, and east of Al Buraymi you are in Oman, not United Arab Emirates. South
    of the line from Abu Dhabi to Al Buraymi is desert and salt flats.

  5. Bud Holly

    Bud Holly Guest

  6. John Droge

    John Droge Guest

    "Bud Holly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On the NASA Earthlights site, which has been discussed here before:
    > >
    > > http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg
    > >
    > > there is a strange lighted triangle, very geometric, unlike the rest of
    > the
    > > map, at the entrance to the Arabian Gulf. Does anyone have any idea
    what
    > it
    > > could be?
    > >
    > It's a highway. My brother said it's the Gates of Hell.
    Curious so I took a look at an Atlas and there are indeed 3 highways there making a triangle