OT Radio 4 Listen Again

Mark Thompson

Guest
Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
bike.

Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
too?

thx

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?
>
> thx

I use Alive wma Mp3 recorder. Does exactly what you want and isnt too
expensive at $29.95

http://www.alivemedia.net/mp3recorder.htm

Stan Cox

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?

I use Goldwave which is freeware. Works well and you can save in a
range of formats. I use it to cut CDs for the car or put on the iPod.
The biggest problem is being forced by realaudio to record in real time.

Tony

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 02:31 +0000, Mark Thompson wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?

Google for 'podcasting'
This page seems to have a lot of good links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?

I use NetTranport (freeware) :

http://lycos26486.l97.lycos.com.cn/default.htm

The last time I used it was to grab the new H2G2 episodes from
the Radio 4 website, and it works well. You will will need to
find the link to the audio stream so you can copy and paste into
NetTransport. I'd be happy to help if you run into problems.

I don't think it will convert a RealAudio stream into MP3 on
the fly, but it's probably more efficient to let another program
do the transcoding after the download, as you can line up a
batch of jobs.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:42:57 GMT, Jeremy Collins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Thompson wrote:
>> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
>> bike.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
>> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
>> too?

>I use NetTranport (freeware) :
>
>http://lycos26486.l97.lycos.com.cn/default.htm

I can't see a freeware version ...

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:18:55 +0000, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:42:57 GMT, Jeremy Collins
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mark Thompson wrote:
>>> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
>>> bike.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
>>> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
>>> too?

>>I use NetTranport (freeware) :
>>
>>http://lycos26486.l97.lycos.com.cn/default.htm

>I can't see a freeware version ...

... oh, yes I can, sort of ...
--

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?

svrecorder (StepVoice Recorder) is freeware and works really well.

http://www.stepvoice.com

All the best
Dan Gregory

Tony Raven recommended:
> I use Goldwave which is freeware. Works well and you can save in a
> range of formats. I use it to cut CDs for the car or put on the iPod.
> The biggest problem is being forced by realaudio to record in real time.

Unfortunately Goldwave stops working if you don't register after
something like 10,000 commands. I used it for about a year (always
meaning to register, honest), then decided to register when I started
getting warnings every time I tried to save a file. I went to register,
saw just how expensive it was and decided to see what else I could find.

I now use Fleximusic. It's not as pretty as Goldwave, but it does
everything that I ever used Goldwave for and I was able to register it
for under a tenner:
<URL:http://www.fleximusic.com/>

On 15 Dec 2004 02:31:10 GMT,
Mark Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, not that OT as I want to record 'em and play them back when on the
> bike.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, free program to record the streaming
> realaudio and convert it to MP3 without also recording the computers noises
> too?
>
> thx

Can't tell what OS you are on from your headers but if you are on Linux
then there is vsound. You can use this with realplayer.

Tim.

and there was light.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Tony Raven recommended:
>> I use Goldwave which is freeware. Works well and you can
>> save in a range of formats. I use it to cut CDs for the car
>> or put on the iPod. The biggest problem is being forced by
>> realaudio to record in real time.

> Unfortunately Goldwave stops working if you don't register
> after something like 10,000 commands. I used it for about a
> year (always meaning to register, honest), then decided to
> register when I started getting warnings every time I tried to
> save a file. I went to register, saw just how expensive it
> was and decided to see what else I could find.
> I now use Fleximusic. It's not as pretty as Goldwave, but it
> does everything that I ever used Goldwave for and I was able
> to register it for under a tenner:
> <URL:http://www.fleximusic.com/>

I use ALL2WAV. It's free but only records to wav format - fine for CDs. I'm
sure there is something out there that could convert from wav to other
formats though.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

the.Mark wrote:
> I use ALL2WAV. It's free but only records to wav format - fine
> for CDs. I'm sure there is something out there that could
> convert from wav to other formats though.

I forgot to add I used it to record some stuff from R4 recently and the
quality was excellent and didn't record other computer noises.
--

Richard Bates wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:18:55 +0000, Richard Bates
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:42:57 GMT, Jeremy Collins
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I use NetTranport (freeware) :
>>>
>>>http://lycos26486.l97.lycos.com.cn/default.htm

>>I can't see a freeware version ...

> ... oh, yes I can, sort of ...

Yes, I forgot it was nagware - still, it works well.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email