OT: Re: news.cis.dfn.de

Flyingcoyote

Guest
For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
have split their services.

Same username and password should work.

--

FlyingCoyote

--

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
> have split their services.
>
> Same username and password should work.
>
> --
>
> FlyingCoyote

Thanks. I was wondering what was happening. I use it as a backupserver in case my regular server is
down, which happens on occasion.
--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> FlyingCoyote wrote:
>> For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
>> have split their services.
>>
>> Same username and password should work.
>>
>> --
>>
>> FlyingCoyote
>
> Thanks. I was wondering what was happening. I use it as a backupserver in case my regular server
> is down, which happens on occasion.

Yes Siree. It worked like a clockwork orange or whatever that is.
--
Perre

Posting from his backupserver.

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
> have split their services.
>
> Same username and password should work.
>
> --
>
> FlyingCoyote
>
> --

Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise my account today. Just
assumed they were down for maintenance.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ MBrundage@ease ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"M Brundage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as
> > they have split their services.
> >
> > Same username and password should work.
> >
> > --
> >
> > FlyingCoyote
> >
> > --
>

> Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise
my
> account today. Just assumed they were down for maintenance.
>
> --
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ MBrundage@ease ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're right. Same account and password. Easy as pie and faster than a Flying Coyote :)

(how fast is a flying coyote anyway?)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:09:11 -0800, FlyingCoyote wrote:

> For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
> have split their services.
>
> Same username and password should work.

Thanks for the heads-up but anyone using that (and had the old settings) wouldnt be able to read
your post until they had fixed it.

Unless they use google at work or something.

Hell, Im bored, and just nit-picking :)

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:53:43 GMT, M Brundage wrote:

> Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise my account today. Just
> assumed they were down for maintenance.

Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?

I just did a quick Google search to find out what was going on.

BB wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:53:43 GMT, M Brundage wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise my account today. Just
>> assumed they were down for maintenance.
>
> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?
>
> I just did a quick Google search to find out what was going on.

If you read my previous posts you will see that I use this individual.net thing as a backup
Newsserver. That means I was viewing Usenet through my other Newsserver that my ISP supplies me
with. If both would be down Google is an alternative.
--
Perre

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:53:43 GMT, M Brundage wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise
my
> > account today. Just assumed they were down for maintenance.
>
> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?
>
> I just did a quick Google search to find out what was going on.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

I use news.cis.dfn.de because my RoadRunner news server is out of service so much and has less
retention than I do. But it still makes a good backup.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ MBrundage@ease ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In news:p[email protected],
Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> scribbled:
>> Thanks for the heads-up but anyone using that (and had the old settings) wouldnt be able to read
>> your post until they had fixed it.
>>
>> Unless they use google at work or something.
>>
>> Hell, Im bored, and just nit-picking :)
>>
>> --
>> Matt
>>
>> Fear of a flat planet

I was assuming people would either have, or find, alternate means of getting here and then see my
post. :) Especially since most people here using the server in question know about it because of
other people here who have shared the information.

I use the news.cis.dfn.de (now news.individual.net) as a primary, and pacbell as a secondary.
--

FlyingCoyote

--

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:48:01 +0000, BB wrote:

> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?

My newsreader gave me a very helpful message, saying 'yo dude, change your goddam news server to
news.individual.net, or ill force feed you a can of my home-made whoopass!'

Thats how.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:49:59 +0000, Matthew Paterson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:48:01 +0000, BB wrote:
>
>> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?
>
> My newsreader gave me a very helpful message, saying 'yo dude, change your goddam news server to
> news.individual.net, or ill force feed you a can of my home-made whoopass!'
>
> Thats how.

Aha, another Pan user!

Cheers Anton

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For anyone using news.cis.dfn.de you may need to switch the server to News.Individual.NET as they
> have split their services.
>
> Same username and password should work.

Yup! Part way through yesterday, my posts stopped going through. Luckily, it told me what I needed
to know in the error message. Just right click on the
n/g's folder 'news.cis.dfn.de', properties, then change anywhere it says 'news.cis.dfn.de' to
'news.individual.net' and click apply.

Shaun aRe

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:53:43 GMT, M Brundage wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise
my
> > account today. Just assumed they were down for maintenance.
>
> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?

Because the error message I got when I tried to send a post said 'try news.individual.net, or
news.individual.de' is how!

Without that, I'da been a bit stumped, heheheheh...

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:53:43 GMT, M Brundage wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Coyote ! I wondered what was going on when it wouldn't recognise my account today. Just
>>> assumed they were down for maintenance.
>>
>> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?
>
> Because the error message I got when I tried to send a post said 'try news.individual.net, or
> news.individual.de' is how!
>
> Without that, I'da been a bit stumped, heheheheh...
>

> Shaun aRe

I didn't get that much. I just kept getting the pop-up window asking for my password. I had to send
an email to verify I was using the same password. My request was quickly answered with three
different emails explaining what had happend.

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> berlin.de...

>>> Just curious...how did you guys use Usenet to figure out why your Usenet account wasn't working?
>>
>> Because the error message I got when I tried to send a post said 'try news.individual.net, or
>> news.individual.de' is how!
>>
>> Without that, I'da been a bit stumped, heheheheh...
>>

>> Shaun aRe
>
> I didn't get that much. I just kept getting the pop-up window asking for my password. I had to
> send an email to verify I was using the same password. My request was quickly answered with three
> different emails explaining what had happend.
>
> Gary

That's all I got too. So I went to the cis.dfn.de website to see if there were any outages posted
and saw they had split out the server names. Not too hard, really.

Matt

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:52:22 -0700, MattB wrote:

> That's all I got too. So I went to the cis.dfn.de website to see if there were any outages posted
> and saw they had split out the server names. Not too hard, really.

slrn just sort of crapped out and said it couldn't log in. I did a quick Google search and basically
got where you went. As you say, not too hard.

I thought about posting an alert, but didn't see much point in telling people on Usenet that their
Usenet account would be dead. I never considered the possibility that anyone would care enough about
Usenet to want a backup server!

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:52:22 -0700, MattB wrote:

> I never considered the possibility that anyone would care enough about Usenet to want a
> backup server!

Boredom relief calls for drastic measures! ;)

--

FlyingCoyote