OT: Repairing bag ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by elyob, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. elyob

    elyob Guest

    I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
    nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
    want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
    gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
    from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
    dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
    with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
    this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
    keep it easily rollable etc.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. brigodon

    brigodon Guest

  3. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
    >nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
    >want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
    >gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
    >from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
    >dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
    >with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
    >this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
    >keep it easily rollable etc.

    I've recently repaired the Brompton bag by sowing some strong woven
    nylon tape on the inside.
    It's like the sort of band that you'd find on rucksacks, comes in a lot of
    widths and thicknesses, don't know where you could buy it because it's the
    sort of things you just have somewhere in a drawer... I have used bits of
    an old strap (for tying things on the roofrack of a car) in the past, but
    that may be a bit too inflexible for what you're looking for.

    Roos

  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
    > nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
    > want to sure up before they tear.

    If it's the sort of nylon I think it is, it's unlikely to tear easily -
    however best to fix it. If you get either some wide webbing like Roos
    suggested, or alternatively some more nylon in the form of a cheap
    similar bag, then you need access to, or someone with, an industrial
    sewing machine and you can sew a giant patch over it, or individual
    patches. For industrial sewing machines, try a) your local clothing
    repair place (who may not have one, but may know someone who does), b)
    tent/marquee people, c) re-enactment groups (who make their own tents).

    If it's nothing so dramatic, then supergluing the frayed bits round the
    holes should help prevent further tearing.

    R.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > I've got a bag that I need to repair, I think it's made of some sort of
    > nylon. Basically, it's seems to have a few tiny cuts in the base which I
    > want to sure up before they tear. I'm guessing some sort of super strong
    > gaffer tape on the outside, but thought others might have other solutions
    > from repairing panniers etc. The only difference is that this bag gets
    > dumped on the floor a lot. I would even consider covering the whole bottom
    > with some sort of stronger base. However, this is a soft bag, similar to
    > this http://europe.eastpak.com/products/_auth/terminal.jpg and I'd like to
    > keep it easily rollable etc.

    Try a camping shop for groundsheet repair patches e.g.
    http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/15197.html

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. "brigodon" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Araldite

    The goddess of industrial adhesives?

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  7. Bob Downie

    Bob Downie Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Chris Eilbeck
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"brigodon" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Araldite

    >The goddess of industrial adhesives?