OT: Republican Family "Values"...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gregory Morrow, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. For this year's "Foot In Mouth" award I hereby nominate:

    "Barbara Bush Sees Silver Lining in Disaster

    Relocation Working for Refugees Who Are 'Underprivileged Anyway'

    By PAM EASTON, AP

    HOUSTON (Sept. 6) - Former Presidents Bush and Clinton got smiles, hugs
    and requests for autographs when they met with refugees from Hurricane
    Katrina - but it was Bush's wife who got attention for some of her
    comments.

    Barbara Bush, who accompanied the former presidents on a tour of the
    Astrodome complex Monday, said the relocation to Houston is "working
    very well" for some of the poor people forced out of New Orleans.

    "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in
    Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said during
    a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace."
    "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were
    underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

    Her comments came as the two former presidents visited with hundreds of
    the 23,600 hurricane refugees and announced the creation of the
    Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund.

    "We're most anxious to roll up our sleeves and get to work," George
    H.W. Bush said. "It will take all of us working together to accomplish
    our goal. This job is too big for any one group."

    Clinton said he thinks the federal government's response to the tragedy
    should be examined. But for now, he said, the focus should be on
    helping the refugees restart their lives.

    "There is still a lot of anger. There is still a lot of confusion, but
    I don't think we should be surprised," Clinton said. "These people lost
    everything and the experience they had in the Superdome or the
    convention center was horrible."

    The elder Bush said he doesn't like the criticism leveled at his son,
    President Bush, but added, "As a president it goes with territory."

    As the Bushes entered a shelter set up at the Reliant Center with Texas
    Gov. Rick Perry, Perry and Barbara Bush immediately gravitated toward
    two children, while former president Bush shook hands with a group of
    men.

    After a brief exchange with one girl, Barbara Bush grabbed her hand and
    took her to meet her husband. Barbara Bush placed her arm around the
    girl's back and the child smiled widely as she talked with the former
    president.

    Clinton toured the shelter with his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New
    York, and Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.

    Obama, picked up a little girl who brought him a small heart she had
    made in a makeshift daycare center at the shelter.

    "What's your name, sweetie? You look so pretty," Obama said to the
    girl. "You made this heart and you decided to give it to Bill Clinton,
    didn't you?"

    The little girl, named Kearra, shook her head affirmatively.

    "Well, I give you my heart," Clinton said, giving the tiny toddler a
    hug. "You're beautiful. Thank you for the heart."

    09-06-05

    Tags:

  2. FDR

    FDR Guest

    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

> [...]
    > took her to meet her husband. Barbara Bush placed her arm around the
    > girl's back and the child smiled widely as she talked with the former
    > president.
    >

    > Clinton toured the shelter with his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New
    > York, and Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.
    >

    > Obama, picked up a little girl who brought him a small heart she had
    > made in a makeshift daycare center at the shelter.
    >

    > "What's your name, sweetie? You look so pretty," Obama said to the
    > girl. "You made this heart and you decided to give it to Bill Clinton,
    > didn't you?"
    >

    > The little girl, named Kearra, shook her head affirmatively.
    >

    > "Well, I give you my heart," Clinton said, giving the tiny toddler a
    > hug. "You're beautiful. Thank you for the heart."
    >

    > 09-06-05

    "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in

    Why is she scared? Is it because all those undesirable poor people scare
    her?

  3. Reg

    Reg Guest

    FDR wrote:

    > "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in
    > Texas."
    >
    > Why is she scared? Is it because all those undesirable poor people scare
    > her?

    Your point falls somewhat short. She lives in Maine, not Texas.

    But you're probably right anyway :)

  4. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:29:18 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For this year's "Foot In Mouth" award I hereby nominate:
    >
    >"Barbara Bush Sees Silver Lining in Disaster
    >
    >Relocation Working for Refugees Who Are 'Underprivileged Anyway'
    >
    >By PAM EASTON, AP
    >

    >HOUSTON (Sept. 6) - Former Presidents Bush and Clinton got smiles, hugs
    >and requests for autographs when they met with refugees from Hurricane
    >Katrina - but it was Bush's wife who got attention for some of her
    >comments.
    >

    >Barbara Bush, who accompanied the former presidents on a tour of the
    >Astrodome complex Monday, said the relocation to Houston is "working
    >very well" for some of the poor people forced out of New Orleans.
    >

    >"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in
    >Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said during
    >a radio interview with the American Public Media program "Marketplace."
    >"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were
    >underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

    Those lucky duckies!

    >Her comments came as the two former presidents visited with hundreds of
    >the 23,600 hurricane refugees and announced the creation of the
    >Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund.
    >

    >"We're most anxious to roll up our sleeves and get to work," George
    >H.W. Bush said. "It will take all of us working together to accomplish
    >our goal. This job is too big for any one group."

    Heigh ho, heigh ho. After it's done, the whole family can sit on
    Trent Lott's porch.

    Sue(tm)