OT: Rode my bike this morning, in 17 degree weather!

Bob Mauri

Guest
It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The good
news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like the
Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those clothes. It takes
me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same distance using my mountain bike
(and the 4 layers of clothes) as opposed to my racing bike!

Bring on the snow!

--
Bob in CT

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:47:20 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Bob Mauri wrote:
> :: It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The
> :: good news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like
> :: the Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those clothes.
> :: It takes me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same distance using my
> :: mountain bike (and the 4 layers of clothes) as opposed to my racing
> :: bike!
>
> I don't like riding in the cold. Less than 40 degs starts to beg the
> question.

It is quite a bit different. But, here in CT, I'd rather ride in the cold
than workout inside. I plan on only riding twice a week and going to the
gym twice a week. I think I'd go crazy if I had to workout inside four
days a week. Plus, exercising outside is always harder than exercising on
a machine, and I can practice things (like standing, pedaling -- or is it
pedalling? -- smoothly, etc.) that I'll use next year. Riding in the cold
also takes so much longer to get dressed.

--
Bob in CT

Bob Mauri wrote:
:: On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:47:20 -0500, Roger Zoul
:: <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Bob Mauri wrote:
::::: It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The
::::: good news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like
::::: the Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those
::::: clothes. It takes me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same
::::: distance using my mountain bike (and the 4 layers of clothes) as
::::: opposed to my racing bike!
:::
::: I don't like riding in the cold. Less than 40 degs starts to beg the
::: question.

::
:: It is quite a bit different. But, here in CT, I'd rather ride in
:: the cold than workout inside. I plan on only riding twice a week
:: and going to the gym twice a week. I think I'd go crazy if I had to
:: workout inside four days a week. Plus, exercising outside is always
:: harder than exercising on a machine, and I can practice things (like
:: standing, pedaling -- or is it pedalling? -- smoothly, etc.) that
:: I'll use next year. Riding in the cold also takes so much longer to
:: get dressed.

I find the length of time it takes to dress only one of the problems I have
with cold-weather riding. The other, bigger problem in my mind is just
figuring out how many layers to wear for a particular set of riding
conditions. What to wear at 40 deg, 30 degs, 20, degs, and then what about
wind conditions. You've got hands, chest, neck, face, hands and feet to
worry about. The complications AND expenses (that's a big component too)
seem endless and given all of that, I'd rather workout inside. So, I'll
ride on the warmer days (we're in a cold spell at the moment, but some
warmer ones will come) and cross train as much as possible. I've been doing
stationary biking (at the gym and at home), dreadmilling, and even some
walking outside (easier than riding, imo), in addition to lifting 3X per
week.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:31:55 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Bob Mauri wrote:
> :: On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:47:20 -0500, Roger Zoul
> :: <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::
> ::: Bob Mauri wrote:
> ::::: It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The
> ::::: good news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like
> ::::: the Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those
> ::::: clothes. It takes me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same
> ::::: distance using my mountain bike (and the 4 layers of clothes) as
> ::::: opposed to my racing bike!
> :::
> ::: I don't like riding in the cold. Less than 40 degs starts to beg the
> ::: question.
>
> ::
> :: It is quite a bit different. But, here in CT, I'd rather ride in
> :: the cold than workout inside. I plan on only riding twice a week
> :: and going to the gym twice a week. I think I'd go crazy if I had to
> :: workout inside four days a week. Plus, exercising outside is always
> :: harder than exercising on a machine, and I can practice things (like
> :: standing, pedaling -- or is it pedalling? -- smoothly, etc.) that
> :: I'll use next year. Riding in the cold also takes so much longer to
> :: get dressed.
>
> I find the length of time it takes to dress only one of the problems I
> have
> with cold-weather riding. The other, bigger problem in my mind is just
> figuring out how many layers to wear for a particular set of riding
> conditions. What to wear at 40 deg, 30 degs, 20, degs, and then what
> about
> wind conditions. You've got hands, chest, neck, face, hands and feet to
> worry about. The complications AND expenses (that's a big component too)
> seem endless and given all of that, I'd rather workout inside. So, I'll
> ride on the warmer days (we're in a cold spell at the moment, but some
> warmer ones will come) and cross train as much as possible. I've been
> doing
> stationary biking (at the gym and at home), dreadmilling, and even some
> walking outside (easier than riding, imo), in addition to lifting 3X per
> week.

That is true -- biking in the cold can be expensive.

--
Bob in CT

Bob Mauri wrote:
> It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The good
> news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like the
> Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those clothes. It
> takes me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same distance using my
> mountain bike (and the 4 layers of clothes) as opposed to my racing bike!
>
> Bring on the snow!

And you didn't even crash! ;>)

Bob Mauri wrote:

> It took me about 30 minutes just to put on all of my layers! The good
> news is that I wasn't cold. The bad news is that I look like the
> Pillsbury Dough Boy and can barely move with all those clothes. It
> takes me an extra 20 minutes to ride the same distance using my
> mountain bike (and the 4 layers of clothes) as opposed to my racing bike!
>
> Bring on the snow!

Why on earth do you need so many layers?

What are they?

Since subscribing to the "ICEBIKE" list server, where people who live in
Canada and Alaske and the Northern US States who ride regularly in the
winter.....

I have stopped putting on so darned many clothes because I am over
dressed and if not careful will get cold from the excess sweat.

Yesterday, I rode in 17 F weather in Iowa. I had on just three layers
on top.... a thin CoolMAX long sleeved underwear, a midweight polyester
fleece shirt and a Columbia Titanium waterproof breathable shell (no
lining zipped in) with the pit zips fully OPEN.

I used just one bottom layer, a windproof fleece pant that I got from
Target last year on clearance for about $12 (list price about $35.00).
The zips at the bottom of the legs were OPEN for ventilation. They were
almost too warm.

I was quite warm and at times took off my fleece cap to avoid overheating.

After reading the ICEBIKE archives about what to wear for what
temperatures, I realized that for the last few years, I have been
overdressing for winter rides. And that has been the cause of much of my
discomfort.

Rarely have I ever zipped up my windbreaker on the top, because I overheat.

I don't ride nuts at top speed like many proud posters here do. I go
shopping for food and clothers and stuff and consider 15 miles in a day
quite an accomplishment.

I would recommend that you try several places for more guidlines on
dressing for winter bike riding.....

This is a nice graphic on what torwear for winter bike riding in
Colorado, put out by the state of Colorado, Department of Transportation.

http://www.dot.state.co.us/BikePed/Maps/Weather Gear.pdf

There is an ICEBIKE web page. Go there too. Tons of information. And
links to the archives of the ICEBIKE list server.

http://www.icebike.com/

Today it got up to almost 38F, and today I did NOT use the windproof
fleece pants, as they would have been too warm. I used some very light
tights (just athletic cheap ones, not bike tights) under windpants
because the winds were up to 15 mph. I wore the same top components and
mostly had to unbutton the fleece shirt and unzip the windproof shell.
Instead of a warm fleece hat (which I had in a pocket) I used a cotton
baseball cap and a fleece band over the ears when they got cold. Quite a
bit of the time, I took off the gloves (I should have carried the summer
gloves as spares, but forgot).

I was quite warm coming home.

Last year, I would have had more layers and may have sweated more.

So, for heaven's sake, don't get too bundled up.

I know, I used to make that mistake. But, of course, carry something to
throw on to keep warm if you blow a tire and have to change it or repair
it and aren't moving and pedaling to keep toasty warm.

If you are too hot, slow down ( and take off your hat, unzip,.. and
finally remove an extra layer).

If you are too cold, pedal faster to burn up more energy.

If the wind penetrates your clothes, you were dumb enogh not to have
used windproof layers in the system.

But, get out there and keep on experimentsing and you will find that it
is almost certain that you overdressed.

Keep notes for a while on what the temperature and wind conditions were,
what you wore and how your felt.

That is such good and vital advice, I may actually do it myself.

I wish I had done it years ago..... I would have figured out how badly I
was overdressed.

I wouldn't have believed the overdressing except for what the guys and
gals in Alaska and Canada wear..... and enjoy riding on snow and ice.

Jim

Riding Through The Winter in IOWA, and enjoying it. (Studded Snow Tires
for the ice and snow)

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

jbuch wrote:
:: Bob Mauri wrote:
::
[...]

Dude -- everyone is not the same. What works for you won't necessarily work
for someone else. The info on the sites are just guidelines...people have to
tweak to find what works for them. I know quickly if I'm over dressed on a
ride and I peal layers as a result. That is a good reason to do layers in
teh first place, so you can peal as needed (more important on a longer ride
when conditions and temps can change a good bit) Also, 15 miles doesn't
quite do it for me. I don't even want to ride if I can just get in 15
miles. I need at least 30 miles to feel as if I've done something.

Roger Zoul wrote:

> [...]
> :: I wouldn't have believed the overdressing except for what the guys
> :: and gals in Alaska and Canada wear..... and enjoy riding on snow and
> :: ice.
> ::
> :: Jim
> ::
>
> Dude -- everyone is not the same. What works for you won't necessarily work
> for someone else. The info on the sites are just guidelines...people have to
> tweak to find what works for them. I know quickly if I'm over dressed on a
> ride and I peal layers as a result. That is a good reason to do layers in
> teh first place, so you can peal as needed (more important on a longer ride
> when conditions and temps can change a good bit) Also, 15 miles doesn't
> quite do it for me. I don't even want to ride if I can just get in 15
> miles. I need at least 30 miles to feel as if I've done something.

Roger, when you replied to the original poster, you left little room for
the opinion that what works for you may not work for anyone else......

Now, you ARE of the opinion that what works for me (and all those people
on the ICEBIKE list from Alaska, Canada and the Northern USA) may not be
good advice.

Think about it.

You are normally one of those few voices of reason and common sense here.

I enjoy reading your.

Jim

jbuch wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| Dude -- everyone is not the same. What works for you won't
||| necessarily work for someone else. The info on the sites are just
||| guidelines...people have to tweak to find what works for them. I
||| know quickly if I'm over dressed on a ride and I peal layers as a
||| result. That is a good reason to do layers in teh first place, so
||| you can peal as needed (more important on a longer ride when
||| conditions and temps can change a good bit) Also, 15 miles doesn't
||| quite do it for me. I don't even want to ride if I can just get in
||| 15 miles. I need at least 30 miles to feel as if I've done
||| something.
|| Roger, when you replied to the original poster, you left little room
|| for
|| the opinion that what works for you may not work for anyone
|| else......
|| Now, you ARE of the opinion that what works for me (and all those
|| people
|| on the ICEBIKE list from Alaska, Canada and the Northern USA) may
|| not be
|| good advice.
|| Think about it.

Jim....???? in my reply referred to me as in "I". That says *nothing*
about anyone else. Obviously, there are other things that work for other
people, like you and those in Alaska and Canada and Norhern USA who are (app
arently) very used to cold. But the bottom line is that one has to learn
what works for him/her when riding in the cold. People just have different
sensibilities about it, so you can't assume that all those layers that Bob
spoke of are too much....because it just depends. On a long ride with temps
creeping up as the day progresses, I do think he might have been pealing due
to overheating, depending on how high the temps got, but if the entire ride
were at 17 degrees -- that's just cold (IMO and apparently for the OP),
especially if you're moving at a good clip and there is some wind about.

Certainly, I do agree with the general advice about not overdressing. In
fact, I think any cyclist would. All you have to do is experience what it's
like to start overheating out on a ride and you're there. If you can't peal
you're going be really uncomfortable. The only real issue is what does
overdressing mean. For someone not too used to cold weather, or for someone
who doesn't like to feel cold (I know I don't like it), how to dress is
something that has to be learned through trail and error, mostly. Sure, one
can use guidelines, but that's all they are. Also, I do believe that Bob
would know if he had overdressed on this ride. Don't you agree?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:12:58 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
wrote:

> jbuch wrote:
> || Roger, when you replied to the original poster, you left little room
> || for
> || the opinion that what works for you may not work for anyone
> || else......
> || Now, you ARE of the opinion that what works for me (and all those
> || people
> || on the ICEBIKE list from Alaska, Canada and the Northern USA) may
> || not be
> || good advice.
> || Think about it.
>
> Jim....???? in my reply referred to me as in "I". That says *nothing*
> about anyone else. Obviously, there are other things that work for other
> people, like you and those in Alaska and Canada and Norhern USA who are
> (app
> arently) very used to cold. But the bottom line is that one has to learn
> what works for him/her when riding in the cold. People just have
> different
> sensibilities about it, so you can't assume that all those layers that
> Bob
> spoke of are too much....because it just depends. On a long ride with
> temps
> creeping up as the day progresses, I do think he might have been pealing
> due
> to overheating, depending on how high the temps got, but if the entire
> ride
> were at 17 degrees -- that's just cold (IMO and apparently for the OP),
> especially if you're moving at a good clip and there is some wind about.
>
> Certainly, I do agree with the general advice about not overdressing. In
> fact, I think any cyclist would. All you have to do is experience what
> it's
> like to start overheating out on a ride and you're there. If you can't
> peal
> you're going be really uncomfortable. The only real issue is what does
> overdressing mean. For someone not too used to cold weather, or for
> someone
> who doesn't like to feel cold (I know I don't like it), how to dress is
> something that has to be learned through trail and error, mostly. Sure,
> one
> can use guidelines, but that's all they are. Also, I do believe that Bob
> would know if he had overdressed on this ride. Don't you agree?

I personally think Jim is absolutely insane. There's no way I'm wearing
three thin layers, with open arm pits, when it's below freezing (and I
ride when it's below zero). I wasn't hot this morning when it was 17
degrees out. I was comfortable. There's no way in hell I'm wearing fewer
clothes than I'm currently wearing. And, I found the ice biking website
years ago.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

>Yesterday, I rode in 17 F weather in Iowa. I had on just three layers
>on top.... a thin CoolMAX long sleeved underwear, a midweight polyester
>fleece shirt and a Columbia Titanium waterproof breathable shell (no
>lining zipped in) with the pit zips fully OPEN.

that's the same with me the feet need the most work. I found a thick poly turtle
neck shirt in the thrift store that with just my rain shell on and it is fine
down to about 20 that thing is so warm it would kill me to wear it inside. for
down to about 35 a think coolmax shirt and a cotton long sleeve shirt is usually
fine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Bob M wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:12:58 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>> Jim....???? in my reply referred to me as in "I". That says *nothing*
>> about anyone else. Obviously, there are other things that work for other
>> people, like you and those in Alaska and Canada and Norhern USA who
>> are (app
>> arently) very used to cold. But the bottom line is that one has to learn
>> what works for him/her when riding in the cold. People just have
>> different
>> sensibilities about it, so you can't assume that all those layers
>> that Bob
>> spoke of are too much....because it just depends. On a long ride
>> with temps
>> creeping up as the day progresses, I do think he might have been
>> pealing due
>> to overheating, depending on how high the temps got, but if the
>> entire ride
>> were at 17 degrees -- that's just cold (IMO and apparently for the OP),
>> especially if you're moving at a good clip and there is some wind about.
>>
>> Certainly, I do agree with the general advice about not overdressing. In
>> fact, I think any cyclist would. All you have to do is experience
>> what it's
>> like to start overheating out on a ride and you're there. If you
>> can't peal
>> you're going be really uncomfortable. The only real issue is what does
>> overdressing mean. For someone not too used to cold weather, or for
>> someone
>> who doesn't like to feel cold (I know I don't like it), how to dress is
>> something that has to be learned through trail and error, mostly.
>> Sure, one
>> can use guidelines, but that's all they are. Also, I do believe that Bob
>> would know if he had overdressed on this ride. Don't you agree?
>>

> I personally think Jim is absolutely insane. There's no way I'm
> wearing three thin layers, with open arm pits, when it's below freezing
> (and I ride when it's below zero). I wasn't hot this morning when it
> was 17 degrees out. I was comfortable. There's no way in hell I'm
> wearing fewer clothes than I'm currently wearing. And, I found the ice
> biking website years ago.

Here is infor from the REI website on cold weather riding.

Bob, you are repeating the same mistakes I made when I started riding
through the winter.

Too darned many layers of clothes.

Over and over, the cold weather bikcyling sites cite the problem of
overdressing.

Except in subzero conditions, the major problem is getting rid of the
moisture from perspiration. NOT insulation.

I hope that you persist in excessive clothing, and feel the cold of
excessive insultaion and perspiration.

My mother taught me not to wear a heavy coat inside the house, because
when you finally went outside, it would no longer be anywhere near as warm.

> NOTE: Over-dressing can be as uncomfortable as under-dressing. Too many clothing layers will cause you to sweat (even in cold conditions), which will then expose you to chills when you stop riding and start to cool down.

------------ R E I ------------ cold weather bike clothing -----

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Lea...oryId=Cycling&url=rei/learn/cycle/cyclthf.jsp

Cold Weather Touring
When winter hits and the snows start falling, most cyclists hang up
their bikes and wait until spring. But the dead of winter is not the
only time that cyclists can encounter cold weather! To protect yourself
from long mountain descents, cold winds, early morning jaunts or
surprise storms, you may need some or all of the following layers:

NOTE: Over-dressing can be as uncomfortable as under-dressing. Too many
clothing layers will cause you to sweat (even in cold conditions), which
will then expose you to chills when you stop riding and start to cool down.

* Inner layers
The insulating, wicking underwear that cyclists often use in
moderate conditions is also extremely popular in colder climates.

* Middle layers
When riding, you can't afford to get bogged down in lots of heavy
clothing. So you'll have to find efficient insulation layers -- ones
that provide lots of warmth without a lot of bulk or weight. Lightweight
synthetic fleece layers tend to be very efficient, as do some wool
layers, though wool tends to be somewhat heavier and less comfortable
than fleece. To keep your legs warm, consider thicker, warmer cycling
tights. Or you may wish combine lightweight tights with rain/wind pants
to cut down on heat loss.

Typically, the warmest insulation layers you carry will not be
needed when you're riding hard, since pedaling generates so much body
heat. But you should still keep them close at hand for rest stops, long
downhills and other breaks when it's easy to get chilled.

* Outer layers
The same rain/wind shell layers you use in moderate conditions
should be fine for biking in cold conditions. The key again is to find
outer layers that stop the wind from stealing warmth, while still
providing enough ventilation to keep from overheating while pedaling
hard. Make sure the outer layers you use for cold weather riding are
roomy enough to be comfortable with lots of other layers on.

Steve Knight wrote:

>>Yesterday, I rode in 17 F weather in Iowa. I had on just three layers
>>on top.... a thin CoolMAX long sleeved underwear, a midweight polyester
>>fleece shirt and a Columbia Titanium waterproof breathable shell (no
>>lining zipped in) with the pit zips fully OPEN.

> that's the same with me the feet need the most work. I found a thick poly turtle
> neck shirt in the thrift store that with just my rain shell on and it is fine
> down to about 20 that thing is so warm it would kill me to wear it inside. for
> down to about 35 a think coolmax shirt and a cotton long sleeve shirt is usually
> fine.

Sounds like somebody who actually knows by doing.

So pleasant to hear from somebody like that.

I wish I had known people like you three years ago when I began
"inventing" how to ride in the cold.

I was foolishly overdressing for about three years. And I was still
having some problems sometimes.

I was always having to open all the zippers and unbutton layer after
layer of clothing.

I was so convinced that I needed all those layers, I couldn't bring
myself to get rid of them.

Until this year.... I read what the real experts say, at ICEBIKE.

I experimented.... and found that those guys who do it actually know
something.

The local bike shop just recently told me that I was a habitual
overdresser and no wonder I was sometimes uncomfortable.

When it gets cold, get rid of those darned metal bike shoe clips. They
literally suck the heat out of thje soles of your feet.

Good to hear from somebody who actually does bike in the cold.

Beats the advice of the guys who don't. No sweat.

Jim