[OT] ROSPA says thinking of driving a car is madness!

Richard

Guest
Actually, they don't. But they did say this:

'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents,
said at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling
through ice over open water.

"With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of
ice with your toes," he said.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm

So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)

R.

Richard wrote:
> Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
>
> 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents,
> said at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling
> through ice over open water.
>
> "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of
> ice with your toes," he said.'
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
>
> So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
> decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)
>
> R.

He's right. It is madness to test the thickness of the ice with your
toes. One should always use an axe or at least a small hatchet. You
wouldn't catch me using my toes.

On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
well-frozen lake.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John_Kane wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
>>
>> 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of
>> Accidents, said at least 20 people had died over the last
>> decade after falling through ice over open water.
>>
>> "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the
>> thickness of ice with your toes," he said.'
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
>>
>> So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over
>> the last decade after driving a car, one can only
>> conclude.... ;-)
>>
>> R.

> He's right. It is madness to test the thickness of the ice
> with your toes. One should always use an axe or at least a
> small hatchet. You wouldn't catch me using my toes.
>
> On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
> well-frozen lake.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Yup, it's great fun but it's been a few years since Bonaly [1]
reservoir has been thick enough to cycle on.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

"Richard" <[email protected]>
> Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
>
> 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said
> at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling through ice
> over open water.
>
> "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of ice
> with your toes," he said.'
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
>
> So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
> decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)

That non-drivers would enjoy immortality and a sense of logic rivalling
Pauls Smith's?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:29:04 +0000 (UTC), "the.Mark"
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>> On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
>> well-frozen lake.

>Yup, it's great fun but it's been a few years since Bonaly [1]
>reservoir has been thick enough to cycle on.

Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
> boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
> onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
> have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...

Would those be x, y or z axes?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

ROSPA
Should say getting out of bed is madness, Extreme nannying or what.

As always cars dont count - an acceptable level of violence.

Richard Webb

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>> Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
>> boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
>> onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
>> have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...
>>

> Would those be x, y or z axes?

It depends on their origin....

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:34:36 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>
>> Would those be x, y or z axes?

> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!
>
> Guy

G-raph with you!

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:06:34 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:34:36 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
>> said in <[email protected]>:
>>
>>> Would those be x, y or z axes?

>> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

> Who co-ordinates the plot?

Descartes?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:20:50 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>>> Would those be x, y or z axes?

>> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

>G-raph with you!

I think you are the origin of the problem, but the lack of a charter
bars me from complaining.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

>> G-raph with you!

> I think you are the origin of the problem, but the lack of a charter
> bars me from complaining.

A grid. Spline to see it's a trend. Best fit it in the plot too.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> >
> > Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
> > boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
> > onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
> > have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...
> >

> Would those be x, y or z axes?

Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..

We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>

>> Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..
>>

> We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

I like the scatter approach to this punfest.

R.

"Richard" <[email protected]>
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> David Martin wrote:
>>

>>> Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..
>>>

>> We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

> I like the scatter approach to this punfest.
>
> R.

It's all a bit much to me, I'm going to retire to the bar, have a drink & a
pie.

Cheers, helen s