[OT] ROSPA says thinking of driving a car is madness!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Actually, they don't. But they did say this:

    'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents,
    said at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling
    through ice over open water.

    "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of
    ice with your toes," he said.'

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm

    So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
    decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)

    R.

    Tags:

  2. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
    >
    > 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents,
    > said at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling
    > through ice over open water.
    >
    > "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of
    > ice with your toes," he said.'
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
    >
    > So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
    > decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)
    >
    > R.

    He's right. It is madness to test the thickness of the ice with your
    toes. One should always use an axe or at least a small hatchet. You
    wouldn't catch me using my toes.

    On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
    well-frozen lake.

    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  3. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    John_Kane wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
    >>
    >> 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of
    >> Accidents, said at least 20 people had died over the last
    >> decade after falling through ice over open water.
    >>
    >> "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the
    >> thickness of ice with your toes," he said.'
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
    >>
    >> So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over
    >> the last decade after driving a car, one can only
    >> conclude.... ;-)
    >>
    >> R.

    > He's right. It is madness to test the thickness of the ice
    > with your toes. One should always use an axe or at least a
    > small hatchet. You wouldn't catch me using my toes.
    >
    > On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
    > well-frozen lake.
    >
    > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

    Yup, it's great fun but it's been a few years since Bonaly [1]
    reservoir has been thick enough to cycle on.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  4. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Actually, they don't. But they did say this:
    >
    > 'Roger Vincent, of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said
    > at least 20 people had died over the last decade after falling through ice
    > over open water.
    >
    > "With that figure in mind, it's madness to even test the thickness of ice
    > with your toes," he said.'
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568494.stm
    >
    > So, extrapolating to the number of people who had died over the last
    > decade after driving a car, one can only conclude.... ;-)

    That non-drivers would enjoy immortality and a sense of logic rivalling
    Pauls Smith's?

  5. On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:29:04 +0000 (UTC), "the.Mark"
    <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >> On the other hand it is lovely to go riding on a nice smooth
    >> well-frozen lake.

    >Yup, it's great fun but it's been a few years since Bonaly [1]
    >reservoir has been thick enough to cycle on.

    Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
    boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
    onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
    have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
    > boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
    > onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
    > have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...

    Would those be x, y or z axes?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  7. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    ROSPA
    Should say getting out of bed is madness, Extreme nannying or what.

    As always cars dont count - an acceptable level of violence.

    Richard Webb

  8. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >>
    >> Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
    >> boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
    >> onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
    >> have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...
    >>

    > Would those be x, y or z axes?

    It depends on their origin....

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:34:36 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    > said in <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> Would those be x, y or z axes?

    > It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!
    >
    > Guy

    G-raph with you!

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  10. On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:06:34 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:34:36 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    >said in <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Would those be x, y or z axes?

    >It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

    Who co-ordinates the plot?

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bertie Wiggins wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:06:34 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:34:36 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    >> said in <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >>> Would those be x, y or z axes?

    >> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

    > Who co-ordinates the plot?

    Descartes?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:20:50 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    said in <[email protected]>:

    >>> Would those be x, y or z axes?

    >> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

    >G-raph with you!

    I think you are the origin of the problem, but the lack of a charter
    bars me from complaining.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    >>> It's all a sinister plot, I tell you!

    >> G-raph with you!

    > I think you are the origin of the problem, but the lack of a charter
    > bars me from complaining.

    A grid. Spline to see it's a trend. Best fit it in the plot too.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > >
    > > Time was when the Ver would freeze over allowing the mass escape of
    > > boys from St Albans School into Verulamium park, and occasionally out
    > > onto the lake as well. I don't recall anyone falling through, but I
    > > have little doubt that no axes were harmed in the process...
    > >

    > Would those be x, y or z axes?

    Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..

    ...d

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..

    We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    >

    >> Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..
    >>

    > We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

    I like the scatter approach to this punfest.

    R.

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> David Martin wrote:
    >>

    >>> Silly boy.. given the frozen water, they would be polar axes..
    >>>

    >> We melt the frozen water by turning on R theta.

    > I like the scatter approach to this punfest.
    >
    > R.

    It's all a bit much to me, I'm going to retire to the bar, have a drink & a
    pie.

    Cheers, helen s