OT: Royal Mail tracking

elyob

Guest
What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should have
arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
reference....

"Recorded Signed ForT items are only tracked after the item has been
delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class,
this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.

Information on your item is not yet available online. "

So, I can track it once it's arrived. Great stuff.

elyob wrote:

>What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should have
>arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
>reference....
>
>"Recorded Signed ForT items are only tracked after the item has been
>delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class,
>this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.
>
>Information on your item is not yet available online. "
>
>So, I can track it once it's arrived. Great stuff.

You get what you pay for.

Recorded Signed For is just ordinary post with a signature on
delivery. It's really designed for legal documents to prove that you
got them. IMO (as a postie) it is a pain in the proverbial as folk use
it when they should use Special Delivery (the new name for registered)
which is tracked at each change of hands through the chain from
collection to delivery. I've even been in a Post Office and overheard
counter staff suggesting Recorded for valuable items which *is not*
recommended.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:13:12 +0100, elyob wrote:

> What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should have
> arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
> reference....
>
> "Recorded Signed ForT items are only tracked after the item has been
> delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class,
> this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.
>
> Information on your item is not yet available online. "
>
> So, I can track it once it's arrived. Great stuff.

Royal Mail handles Recorded Signed For items like regular mail. It's not a
secure service, it records the fact that Royal Mail received it and the
recipient received it. I believe they scan the item when they accept it
from the sender but then it goes in the same bag as most other mail and
can't be 'seen' by their system as it progresses through the sorting
centres and delivery offices. They only capture it again when they attempt
to deliver.

If you wanted tracking and higher security you should have asked for the
item to be sent Special Delivery. In effect, Special Delivery is processed
using a separate network and the item is captured at more points in the
system. In principle this should allow you to track the item's progress
through the network although IME this doesn't work as well of you'd hope.
--
Michael MacClancy

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should

have
> arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
> reference....
>
> "Recorded Signed ForT items are only tracked after the item has been
> delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class,
> this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.
>
> Information on your item is not yet available online. "
>
> So, I can track it once it's arrived. Great stuff.

If an item is shown as not having been signed-for on the
Royal Mail website, then that provides independent evidence
that the item has gone astray.

The vendor doesn't just have to accept your word for it.

In addition the vendor can claim minimal compensation, although
Recorded Delivery isn't intended for that purpose. Only as a
form of proof of delivery - as in the case of legal documents and
the like. (Excepting in cases of completion of contract which
requires only a proof of posting. )

However despite the above, sometimes things are delivered and
signed for which still don't show up on the Royal Mail site.

michael adams

michael adams

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>
>>What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should
>>have
>>arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
>>reference....
>>
>>"Recorded Signed ForT items are only tracked after the item has been
>>delivered. Depending on whether the item was sent first or second class,
>>this may be a few days after posting. Please try again later.
>>
>>Information on your item is not yet available online. "
>>
>>So, I can track it once it's arrived. Great stuff.

> You get what you pay for.
>
> Recorded Signed For is just ordinary post with a signature on
> delivery. It's really designed for legal documents to prove that you
> got them. IMO (as a postie) it is a pain in the proverbial as folk use
> it when they should use Special Delivery (the new name for registered)
> which is tracked at each change of hands through the chain from
> collection to delivery. I've even been in a Post Office and overheard
> counter staff suggesting Recorded for valuable items which *is not*
> recommended.

Well, that's the thing. It's sent with the one that comes with up to £500
worth of insurance. Basically it's my bottle battery and costs nearly £6
postage. It's the silver stickers one.... It's just their website that says
"recorded delivery".

elyob wrote:

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> elyob wrote:
>>
>>>What use is their tracking facility? I'm waiting for a package (Should
>>>have
>>>arrived Tuesday AM), so I phoned up the company who sent it for a tracking
>>>reference....

>> Recorded Signed For is just ordinary post with a signature on
>> delivery. It's really designed for legal documents to prove that you
>> got them. IMO (as a postie) it is a pain in the proverbial as folk use
>> it when they should use Special Delivery...

>Well, that's the thing. It's sent with the one that comes with up to £500
>worth of insurance. Basically it's my bottle battery and costs nearly £6
>postage. It's the silver stickers one.... It's just their website that says
>"recorded delivery".

Does the tracking number you have start with an R? If so they have
sent it with the orange stickered Recorded Signed For.

What they are charging you for postage and what they actually spend on
it are two different things.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>

>>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Recorded Signed For is just ordinary post with a signature on
>>> delivery. It's really designed for legal documents to prove that you
>>> got them. IMO (as a postie) it is a pain in the proverbial as folk use
>>> it when they should use Special Delivery...

>>Well, that's the thing. It's sent with the one that comes with up to £500
>>worth of insurance. Basically it's my bottle battery and costs nearly £6
>>postage. It's the silver stickers one.... It's just their website that
>>says
>>"recorded delivery".

> Does the tracking number you have start with an R? If so they have
> sent it with the orange stickered Recorded Signed For.
>
> What they are charging you for postage and what they actually spend on
> it are two different things.

It starts with dp.... They use the same as I used, this is the second
delivery in a week. Sent Monday, not turned up by today. Strange, as
normally the postman doesn't knock on the door of my flat and posts the
card. I suspect this is due to the previous tenant having a doorbell on
outside, but no bell inside! I got busy with a screwdriver last night, and
excpected a rap on the door at 7.30am :(

elyob wrote:

>> Does the tracking number you have start with an R? If so they have
>> sent it with the orange stickered Recorded Signed For.
>>
>> What they are charging you for postage and what they actually spend on
>> it are two different things.

>It starts with dp....

Memory has gone blank now. I can't remember how the various numbers
might start. Grrr.... I have a feeling that DP could be recorded. A
special ought to start with an S

>They use the same as I used, this is the second
>delivery in a week. Sent Monday, not turned up by today. Strange, as
>normally the postman doesn't knock on the door of my flat and posts the
>card. I suspect this is due to the previous tenant having a doorbell on
>outside, but no bell inside! I got busy with a screwdriver last night, and
>excpected a rap on the door at 7.30am :(

You're lucky. Most days I don't start putting stuff through letter
boxes before 10.30.

Phil Cook twisted the electrons to say:
> >It starts with dp....

> Memory has gone blank now. I can't remember how the various numbers
> might start. Grrr.... I have a feeling that DP could be recorded.

Mine's not working too well either at the moment - should've had a nap
this afternoon! BUt I'm pretty sure DP is Recorded Delivery (which would
match with what "track & trace" is saying).

> A special ought to start with an S

Aye ... sounds about right ...

Alistair Gunn wrote:

>Phil Cook twisted the electrons to say:
>> >It starts with dp....

>> Memory has gone blank now. I can't remember how the various numbers
>> might start. Grrr.... I have a feeling that DP could be recorded.

>Mine's not working too well either at the moment - should've had a nap
>this afternoon! BUt I'm pretty sure DP is Recorded Delivery (which would
>match with what "track & trace" is saying).

DP is deffo a plain Recorded so "they" who posted it have told you
porkies if they said it went Special.

>> A special ought to start with an S

>Aye ... sounds about right ...

Or a Z.

FWIW I have said for ages that the Royal Mail should get rid of
Recorded, it's not worth what you pay for it and gives a false
impression of security.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alistair Gunn wrote:
>
>>Phil Cook twisted the electrons to say:
>>> Memory has gone blank now. I can't remember how the various numbers
>>> might start. Grrr.... I have a feeling that DP could be recorded.

>>Mine's not working too well either at the moment - should've had a nap
>>this afternoon! BUt I'm pretty sure DP is Recorded Delivery (which would
>>match with what "track & trace" is saying).

> DP is deffo a plain Recorded so "they" who posted it have told you
> porkies if they said it went Special.
>>
>>> A special ought to start with an S

>>Aye ... sounds about right ...

> Or a Z.
>
> FWIW I have said for ages that the Royal Mail should get rid of
> Recorded, it's not worth what you pay for it and gives a false
> impression of security.

Yup. Was recorded. This was out of their pocket, so maybe they decided to
take the risk. They sent to my old address however, so it had to be
redirected hence the delay.

Thanks all.