OT: SARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshua Goldberg

I just noticed in the news that the CDC in the USA has put out a SARS alert (finally). This isn't
the Black Death quite yet, but it has the potential of making surgical masks and latex gloves a
standard fashion accessory this summer across North America. In Toronto there are a few thousand
people wearing these masks now and quarantined Hospitals are becoming normal. Problem with SARS
(Corona Virus) is that there is no known cure or vaccine and it can spread easily and fast. Might be
a wise move this summer to add a filter mask while bent riding...also cool for filtering all those
other nasty auto and environmentally related pollutants. A company in the U.K. called Respo makes
filter masks in a variety of colors and shapes just for cyclists and I have seen quite a few in use
in Toronto last summer, now we can add SARS to the list of things out there affecting our riding
enjoyment.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Might be a wise move this summer to add a filter mask while bent riding...also cool for filtering
> all those other nasty auto and environmentally related pollutants.
>
The problem that I have discovered with these masks is that they also filter out sufficient oxygen
when traveling at recumbent speeds.
--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Have U tried a Respro Bandana. I tried one last summer (very hot & humid July) and when I
washed it, the water went brown/black. I had no trouble breathing with it for the 1st 5 days, then
it did seem to reduce air intake. After washing it...it worked fine again. I reasoned the reduced
air intake was cause it was clogged with carbon particles from car/bus exhaust.

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > Might be a wise move this summer to add a filter mask while bent riding...also cool for
> > filtering all those other nasty auto and environmentally related pollutants.
> >
> The problem that I have discovered with these masks is that they also
filter out sufficient
> oxygen when traveling at recumbent speeds.
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Status
Not open for further replies.