OT: Sewing question.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Brad And Julie, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. OK, I know several of you folks sew, and since I value your opinions based on past responses, I
    figured I would ask here. Julie and I are thinking about getting a sewing machine. She did it in
    Home Ec a million years ago whereas I have always wondered how it finished the little knots while
    only sewing one side.(Who knew there was a little spool underneath that added thread from that
    direction?!?) Anyway, with the new house, Julie wants to make curtains, throws and dog beds. I am
    thinking of playing around with tech fabric for biking/jogging clothes. So now the questions, can
    one sewing machine do both the heavy material used in curtains, tablecloths and such as well as the
    more delicate tech fabrics - microfleece and the like? We went to Walmart and saw ~$100 - ~$250
    machines. Will these do it? Is the $250 setup that much better than the $100? Finally, Singer or
    Brother? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Brad and Julie Vaughn

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    The short answer alt.sewing or rec.crafts.textiles.sewing and search google for "what machine should
    I buy" Long answer below.

    Brad and Julie Vaughn wrote:
    > OK, I know several of you folks sew, and since I value your opinions based on past responses, I
    > figured I would ask here. Julie and I are thinking about getting a sewing machine. She did it in
    > Home Ec a million years ago whereas I have always wondered how it finished the little knots while
    > only sewing one side.(Who knew there was a little spool underneath that added thread from that
    > direction?!?) Anyway, with the new house, Julie wants to make curtains, throws and dog beds. I am
    > thinking of playing around with tech fabric for biking/jogging clothes. So now the questions, can
    > one sewing machine do both the heavy material used in curtains, tablecloths and such as well as
    > the more delicate tech fabrics - microfleece and the like? We went to Walmart and saw ~$100 -
    > ~$250 machines. Will these do it? Is the $250 setup that much better than the $100? Finally,
    > Singer or Brother? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > Brad and Julie Vaughn

    my gear sewing page has a section on this. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm

    No dealer support or free classes at wally world/Costco. Plus you can't test them. Most of those
    machines are crap anyway. You are better off getting a nice older European machine that's come in on
    trade at a sewing machine place.n Singers used be good about 20 years ago. The sewing ng's are
    really good place to hang, and they tend to treat repetitive newbie questions about sewing machines
    with a bit more patience than we do around here.

    feel free to email me, drives some of the folks here nuts when I start talking sewing, even if it's
    bike stuff.

    Penny