OT: Sewing question.

Brad And Julie

Guest
OK, I know several of you folks sew, and since I value your opinions based on past responses, I
figured I would ask here. Julie and I are thinking about getting a sewing machine. She did it in
Home Ec a million years ago whereas I have always wondered how it finished the little knots while
only sewing one side.(Who knew there was a little spool underneath that added thread from that
direction?!?) Anyway, with the new house, Julie wants to make curtains, throws and dog beds. I am
thinking of playing around with tech fabric for biking/jogging clothes. So now the questions, can
one sewing machine do both the heavy material used in curtains, tablecloths and such as well as the
more delicate tech fabrics - microfleece and the like? We went to Walmart and saw ~$100 - ~$250
machines. Will these do it? Is the $250 setup that much better than the $100? Finally, Singer or
Brother? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brad and Julie Vaughn

The short answer alt.sewing or rec.crafts.textiles.sewing and search google for "what machine should
I buy" Long answer below.

Brad and Julie Vaughn wrote:
> OK, I know several of you folks sew, and since I value your opinions based on past responses, I
> figured I would ask here. Julie and I are thinking about getting a sewing machine. She did it in
> Home Ec a million years ago whereas I have always wondered how it finished the little knots while
> only sewing one side.(Who knew there was a little spool underneath that added thread from that
> direction?!?) Anyway, with the new house, Julie wants to make curtains, throws and dog beds. I am
> thinking of playing around with tech fabric for biking/jogging clothes. So now the questions, can
> one sewing machine do both the heavy material used in curtains, tablecloths and such as well as
> the more delicate tech fabrics - microfleece and the like? We went to Walmart and saw ~$100 -
> ~$250 machines. Will these do it? Is the $250 setup that much better than the $100? Finally,
> Singer or Brother? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Brad and Julie Vaughn

my gear sewing page has a section on this. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm

No dealer support or free classes at wally world/Costco. Plus you can't test them. Most of those
machines are **** anyway. You are better off getting a nice older European machine that's come in on
trade at a sewing machine place.n Singers used be good about 20 years ago. The sewing ng's are
really good place to hang, and they tend to treat repetitive newbie questions about sewing machines
with a bit more patience than we do around here.

feel free to email me, drives some of the folks here nuts when I start talking sewing, even if it's
bike stuff.

Penny