OT: Shepton Mallet

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few days.
    Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few miles the
    "other" (West) side of SM.

    Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Clogicrogerc

    Clogicrogerc Guest

    Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.>

    Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb, without going all the way
    round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the Mendips from another direction out of Wells?

    On the subject of SM, I used to live just outside town on the Old Wells Road. They used to call it
    Shepton Magnet cos there was no escape :(

    Anyhow I did escape.

    Wells. Nice place. Shepton. Nooooooooooooooooo!

    RC

  3. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Mark deftly scribbled:

    > Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few
    > days. Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few
    > miles the "other" (West) side of SM.
    >
    > Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.
    >
    > Mark

    SM is where a certain rather poor driver lives ...

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1401 wu in 10052 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb,
    without
    > going all the way round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the
    Mendips
    > from another direction out of Wells?

    I only know the SM (East) side & there's no easy way to Bristol from there - *lots* of hills.

    Will be attempting to cycle to work a few times in the Summer from my SO's house just outside Bath.
    It'll be hard work.

    Mark

  5. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    Mark wrote:
    >>Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb,
    >
    > without
    >
    >>going all the way round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the
    >
    > Mendips
    >
    >>from another direction out of Wells?
    >

    > I only know the SM (East) side & there's no easy way to Bristol from there - *lots* of hills.
    >
    > Will be attempting to cycle to work a few times in the Summer from my SO's house just outside
    > Bath. It'll be hard work.
    >
    > Mark

    I often cycle to Wells and Glastonbury from the south of Bath, by that I miss the climb out of Bath!

    I usually take the A367 for a mile or so before turning off onto the B3115 that goes to Timsbury.
    Before Timsbury I head for for Radford and then Paulton. Then, here comes the sneaky bit, there is
    a lane called Tennis Court Road (why?) which leads to the A362 near the slag heap (yes, we have
    slag heaps down here!). Then it is a left turn for a couple of hundred yards on the main road
    before turning onto a minor road that goes to the outskirts of Chilcompton. It is a right turn onto
    the main road then a dog leg at the junction by the Old Down Inn. Then it is a 6 mile roll down
    into Wells.

    And, honest, the climb out of Wells is not that bad (especially with a southerly gale behind you!)

    David

  6. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few
    > days. Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few
    > miles the "other" (West) side of SM.

    Agreed. Not one of the more attractive places I occasionally visited on sunday rides with the Bath
    CTC, nor somewhere I chose to go through later when cycling regularly Bath-Yeovil.

    > Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.

    No shortage of hills in the area. I always found the stretch between Radstock and Bath the worst:
    heavy switchback on a mercilessly main road.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!