OT: Shepton Mallet

Mark

Guest
Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few days.
Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few miles the
"other" (West) side of SM.

Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.

Mark

Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.>

Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb, without going all the way
round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the Mendips from another direction out of Wells?

On the subject of SM, I used to live just outside town on the Old Wells Road. They used to call it
Shepton Magnet cos there was no escape :(

Anyhow I did escape.

Wells. Nice place. Shepton. Nooooooooooooooooo!

RC

Mark deftly scribbled:

> Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few
> days. Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few
> miles the "other" (West) side of SM.
>
> Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.
>
> Mark

SM is where a certain rather poor driver lives ...

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1401 wu in 10052 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

> Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb,
without
> going all the way round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the
Mendips
> from another direction out of Wells?

I only know the SM (East) side & there's no easy way to Bristol from there - *lots* of hills.

Will be attempting to cycle to work a few times in the Summer from my SO's house just outside Bath.
It'll be hard work.

Mark

Mark wrote:
>>Aye. Is there an easier way to Bristol from Wells without that climb,
>
> without
>
>>going all the way round. Ie. is there a gentler gradient up on to the
>
> Mendips
>
>>from another direction out of Wells?
>

> I only know the SM (East) side & there's no easy way to Bristol from there - *lots* of hills.
>
> Will be attempting to cycle to work a few times in the Summer from my SO's house just outside
> Bath. It'll be hard work.
>
> Mark

I often cycle to Wells and Glastonbury from the south of Bath, by that I miss the climb out of Bath!

I usually take the A367 for a mile or so before turning off onto the B3115 that goes to Timsbury.
Before Timsbury I head for for Radford and then Paulton. Then, here comes the sneaky bit, there is
a lane called Tennis Court Road (why?) which leads to the A362 near the **** heap (yes, we have
**** heaps down here!). Then it is a left turn for a couple of hundred yards on the main road
before turning onto a minor road that goes to the outskirts of Chilcompton. It is a right turn onto
the main road then a dog leg at the junction by the Old Down Inn. Then it is a 6 mile roll down
into Wells.

And, honest, the climb out of Wells is not that bad (especially with a southerly gale behind you!)

David

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hmmm... bit worried about this: SM's been mentioned in at least 2 threads within the past few
> days. Why? I work here & it's horrid. Only worth travelling to in order to go to Wells, a few
> miles the "other" (West) side of SM.

Agreed. Not one of the more attractive places I occasionally visited on sunday rides with the Bath
CTC, nor somewhere I chose to go through later when cycling regularly Bath-Yeovil.

> Now *there's* a hill - the A39 out of Wells up onto the top of the Mendips.

No shortage of hills in the area. I always found the stretch between Radstock and Bath the worst:
heavy switchback on a mercilessly main road.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!