[OT] Snow

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ground Control©, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Charlotte is now buried (and therefore crippled) with up to 8 inches of snow. I know that doesn't
    sound like alot, but consider that Southern cities are not equipped to clear snow like this and this
    is the most we've had at one time since 1986.

    Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.

    Now tonight, we have to deal with DAMNED COLD! and wind blowing this powdery stuff into drifts!

    Peace On Dirt
    --
    Nelson Binch <-----switching the to flat pedals on his bike to go out and play
    http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Ground Control© <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Charlotte is now buried (and therefore crippled) with up to 8 inches of snow. I know that doesn't
    > sound like alot, but consider that Southern cities are not equipped to clear snow like this and
    > this is the most we've had at one time since 1986.

    An inch of snow and England is in a mess. I love it when it happens. I love it when the country
    grinds to a halt. Heheheheh......

    > Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    > speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car
    was
    > having a better time of it.

    Stupid sods.

    > Now tonight, we have to deal with DAMNED COLD! and wind blowing this
    powdery
    > stuff into drifts!

    Cool! Snow drifts are fantastic. I remember as a kid walking to the edge of a 30-40 foot deep, slope
    sided dirt gully in deep snow, and disapearing under a drift that had built up on the banking. It
    had formed about 4 or 5 feet out, and set fairly hard over night. I slid right down under it and
    burst out at the bottom. I went back for another go, then another and another. I was there for an
    hour before the 'chute' collapsed ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - Nature kicks more 'ass' than even Canadian girls.

  3. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    "Ground Control©" wrote:

    > Charlotte is now buried (and therefore crippled) with up to 8 inches of snow. I know that doesn't
    > sound like alot, but consider that Southern cities are not equipped to clear snow like this and
    > this is the most we've had at one time since 1986.
    >
    > Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    > speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.
    >
    > Now tonight, we have to deal with DAMNED COLD! and wind blowing this powdery stuff into drifts!

    > Peace On Dirt
    > --
    > Nelson Binch <-----switching the to flat pedals on his bike to go out and play
    > http://intergalax.com/mybikes.htm

    Good luck with the weather... I work in a company that deals with businesses in NC... As I was
    reading your post the phone began to ring off the hook... Apparently everyone is shutting down... It
    is the same here in NY... any sign of snow and the idiots in SUVs seem to come out of the woodwork
    and everyone starts the panic ride home.... Enjoy the snow! ;-P Bitter cold here but no snow.

    Jimbo(san)

  4. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    >speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.

    If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.

  5. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | >Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    | >speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.
    |
    | If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.

    I am willing to bet that fewer than 1 in 10 of the SUVs around here have 4wd.

  6. [email protected] wrote:
    >>Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    >>speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.
    >

    > If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.

    This is why the good systems have full-time, adaptive 4 wheel drive. Even still, 95% of driving in
    the snow is, well, knowing how to drive in the snow, and not be stupid about it. well, for front and
    4 wheel drive vehicles, at least - rear wheel drive is brutal!

    I love when there's like 6" of new snow, kidna packy, but mostly untracked... perfect for doing
    (controlled) 4 wheel slides around every corner, while still being 100% in control of the car. Ahh,
    I miss driving!

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  7. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > This is why the good systems have full-time, adaptive 4 wheel drive. Even still, 95% of driving in
    > the snow is, well, knowing how to drive in the snow, and not be stupid about it. well, for front
    > and 4 wheel drive vehicles, at least - rear wheel drive is brutal!
    >
    > I love when there's like 6" of new snow, kidna packy, but mostly untracked... perfect for doing
    > (controlled) 4 wheel slides around every corner, while still being 100% in control of the car.
    > Ahh, I miss
    driving!

    Another quite fun thing is "jeep skiing"; 4wd, water ski tow rope and snow skis...

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > This is why the good systems have full-time, adaptive 4 wheel drive. Even still, 95% of driving
    > > in the snow is, well, knowing how to drive in the snow, and not be stupid about it. well, for
    > > front and 4 wheel drive vehicles, at least - rear wheel drive is brutal!
    > >
    > > I love when there's like 6" of new snow, kidna packy, but mostly untracked... perfect for doing
    > > (controlled) 4 wheel slides around every corner, while still being 100% in control of the car.
    > > Ahh, I miss
    > driving!
    > >

    > Another quite fun thing is "jeep skiing"; 4wd, water ski tow rope and snow skis...

    Here, hold my beer and watch this...;^)

  9. Spider

    Spider Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    > >speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.
    >
    > If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.

    It's not majik, Dimwittedski. There's still a bunch of mass, crappy tires and lack of
    driving skills.

    4WD doesn't cure any of those things, and in fact can make folks do stuff they wouldn't if the
    vehicle were 2WD. And then they get into trouble.

    Once again, you show the (lack of) depth of knowledge on a subject.

    Spider

  10. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Spider wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote in message
    >> If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.
    >
    > It's not majik, Dimwittedski. There's still a bunch of mass, crappy tires and lack of
    > driving skills.
    >
    > 4WD doesn't cure any of those things, and in fact can make folks do stuff they wouldn't if the
    > vehicle were 2WD. And then they get into trouble.
    >
    > Once again, you show the (lack of) depth of knowledge on a subject.
    >
    > Spider

    http://poseur.4x4.org/

  11. "Ground Control©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Charlotte is now buried (and therefore crippled) with up to 8 inches of snow. I know that doesn't
    > sound like alot, but consider that Southern cities are not equipped to clear snow like this and
    > this is the most we've had at one time since 1986.
    >
    > Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    > speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car
    was
    > having a better time of it.
    >
    > Now tonight, we have to deal with DAMNED COLD! and wind blowing this
    powdery
    > stuff into drifts!

    > Peace On Dirt
    > --
    > Nelson Binch <-----switching the to flat pedals on his bike to go out and play
    > http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

    Light powder is great for riding - get it before it melts. That's MTB riding, not SUV's!
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  12. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I remember living in Fayetteville NC and waking up to un announced snow. People not knowing how to
    drive in the white stuff. And when night fell it looked like not a soul was out. The clubs were dead
    except for the band. Then there was the fool in snow riding a Honda CB 750 motorcycle. I rode my
    motorcycle all winter long as long as there was no snow or ice.

    Fire up MTB 03

  13. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | >Once again, you show the (lack of) depth of knowledge on a subject.
    |
    | >Spider
    |
    | All this from someone who lives in California.....

    I have no idea where Spider lives but here's a newsflash for you:

    There's a bunch of snow in California.

    Go figure (or spank, or paddle, or whatever).

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  14. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | >There's a bunch of snow in California.
    |
    | >Go figure (or spank, or paddle, or whatever).
    |
    | >--
    | >Pete Fagerlin
    |
    | A "bunch" huh?

    Yes, a whole bunch.

    | I'll bet that "bunch" of snow has accumulated at an elevation and location that isn't so heavily
    | populated, right?

    What does that have to do with your clueless suggestion that folks from California wouldn't know
    about driving in the snow?

    | :(""" There's my tear running down my face for the poor Californians
    | socked in with a bunch of snow.

    It's been a while since the last big dump so you can wipe away your tear.

    While you're at it, you might want to educate yourself about the transient population in
    California's snowy areas.

    You might look like less of a dolt next time around boy. Maybe.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  15. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >> Once again, you show the (lack of) depth of knowledge on a subject.
    >
    >> Spider
    >
    > All this from someone who lives in California.....

    since when is Idaho in California?

    penny

  16. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >> There's a bunch of snow in California.
    >
    >> Go figure (or spank, or paddle, or whatever).
    >
    >> --
    > >Pete Fagerlin
    >
    > A "bunch" huh? I'll bet that "bunch" of snow has accumulated at an elevation and location that
    > isn't so heavily populated, right?
    >
    > :(""" There's my tear running down my face for the poor Californians
    > socked in with a bunch of snow.

    heavily populated as compared to what - LA or Ruby Ridge?

    penny

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >>Taking my wife to work, it was funny watching the numbskulls with SUVs trying to drive at normal
    > >>speeds. My little tiny front wheel drive car was having a better time of it.
    > >

    > > If they would only reach over and hit that little button or shift that lever that says 4WD.
    > >

    > This is why the good systems have full-time, adaptive 4 wheel drive. Even still, 95% of driving in
    > the snow is, well, knowing how to drive in the snow, and not be stupid about it. well, for front
    > and 4 wheel drive vehicles, at least - rear wheel drive is brutal!
    >
    > I love when there's like 6" of new snow, kidna packy, but mostly untracked... perfect for doing
    > (controlled) 4 wheel slides around every corner, while still being 100% in control of the car.
    > Ahh, I miss
    driving!

    I had my 3rd(about) ever driving lesson in snow, about 4 or 5 inches deep. The car was one of those
    little Suzuki 850's. Excellent fun, and I didn't even crash once. Did some nice slides though.
    They'd cancel the lesson these days.

    Shaun aRe - My first lesson was in extremely thick fog.

  18. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I remember living in Fayetteville NC and waking up to un announced snow. People
    > not knowing how to drive in the white stuff. And when night fell it looked like
    > not a soul was out. The clubs were dead except for the band. Then there was the
    > fool in snow riding a Honda CB 750 motorcycle. I rode my motorcycle all winter
    > long as long as there was no snow or ice.

    I rode my (off road/stripped bare) DT 250 in deep snow. The snow was so deep, all the roads near my
    house were trafficless. I just pulled the bike out the garage, fire it up, and tore around the
    streets for hours. Feckin' top fun, power sliding all the corners, sending a stream of snow about 20
    foot into the air and covering the kids with it, by dumping the clutch at 9,000 rpm and aiming.
    That'll teach 'em to snowball me when I'm pushing 40 MPH thunk I.

    I picked my mate up, and we went to Tower Road through the park, and I took the bike up to 75 mph
    with him on the back. He nearly died of fright when I locked the back wheel up and it took us 2
    minutes to stop. He walked home.

    Motorbikes are great in the snow, you just need the right bike. Oh, and a set of huge MX race
    Metzeler tyres helps.

    Shaun aRe

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > They'd cancel the lesson these
    > > days.
    >
    > Your reputation precedes you...

    As ever. I'm amazed sometimes. I often meet people, and they look dumb-struck until they here my
    name, then they just say: "Ahh, right..", and a knowing look crosses their faces. Suppose
    introducing myself as 'Twatty-botty cunty-chops" doesn't help.....

    Shaun aRe - "You're shit is all fucked up - fix your shit".