OT: Sp**d C*m*r*s

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote: ( If it wasn't complaints about cameras it
would be complaints ) about unsporting members of the constabulary hiding in bushes or not ( wearing
flashing lights on their helmets.

Wasn't it once one of the duties of the AA Patrolman to stand upstream of police speed traps, and
warn members?

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote: ( If it wasn't complaints about cameras it
> would be complaints ) about unsporting members of the constabulary hiding in bushes or not (
> wearing flashing lights on their helmets.
>
> Wasn't it once one of the duties of the AA Patrolman to stand upstream of police speed traps, and
> warn members?

Now, of course, its sort of re-instated by painting the back of them yellow.

Jim Price

> "albert fish" <albert-fish@[thisbit]ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > well, as I see it the protest is against the camera=fixed penalty rather
> than the
> > more sporting policeman=fixed penalty style of capture and the resulting
> action
> > was against the camera and not directed at the speed limits.
>
> Yes, I have heard a similar argument before. Presumably it's OK to be fined if you've had the fun
> of a chase first, or if the police have at least had to divert some resources from catching
> ramraiders and joyriders in order to catch you.

I've no idea, it's not my way of going about things so it's not my fight.

> I don't buy into that, of course - law enforcement is not a game, it's a part of civil society.

no no no, law enforcement is a lottery, a game of risk. only, the technical relationship between the
accused and the evidence is the booby prize.

> Obviously this particular piece of sedition is not acceptable to members of the Church of the
> Mobile Death Greenhouse, though :)

'Church of the Mobile Death Greenhouse' ... I like it :)

Albert

"albert fish" <albert-fish@[thisbit]ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 'Church of the Mobile Death Greenhouse' ... I like it :)

And Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith is the High Priest :)

--
Guy
===

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:56:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> civil disobedience on the grounds of conscience has a long tradition in
>this country.
>
>But most of them had the decency to stay around and take the consequences of their actions.

Some of them popularised transvestism in South Wales instead - the Rebecca riots

Colin Blackburn wrote:

>I know it is well OT but I was amused by a short piece in the Metro today about a motorist
>convicted of destroying a speed camera. He was clocked at 13mph over the limit (not sure what the
>limit was) and rather than face the fine, the points, and the sack from work, he took an angle
>grinder to the camera. Now, as well as the above, he has to pay 4000 pounds compensation and do 120
>hours of community service. Will he learn, I doubt it. I hope they confiscated his angle grinder.

I'm currently trolling those in uk.rec.driving under the guise "roadrunner" suggesting a blanket
reduction of speed limits by 15 mph.
--
remove remove to reply

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:46:34 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

>Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>>I know it is well OT but I was amused by a short piece in the Metro today about a motorist
>>convicted of destroying a speed camera. He was clocked at 13mph over the limit (not sure what the
>>limit was) and rather than face the fine, the points, and the sack from work, he took an angle
>>grinder to the camera. Now, as well as the above, he has to pay 4000 pounds compensation and do
>>120 hours of community service. Will he learn, I doubt it. I hope they confiscated his angle
>>grinder.

>I'm currently trolling those in uk.rec.driving under the guise "roadrunner" suggesting a blanket
>reduction of speed limits by 15 mph.

That's your cover blown then. Haven't you got anything better to do that make a prat of yourself?
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

I heard that the vandal was being done for loss of earnings from the camera.

Surely if a camera is doing its job, there should be little in the way of earnings. Everyone
stays below the limit. OK thats idealistic, but its a goal, and you want to get as close to it as
is possible.

Seems like some forces use them as a tax (dont like the orange) and others (Staffordshire) use them
to preserve life and limb, swamping the roads with so many boxes, so that even the daftest boy racer
slows down and stays slowed down.

Collecting a fine is a faliure. A fined speeder kills you just as dead as one that is not caught.

Richard Webb

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That's your cover blown then. Haven't you got anything better to do that make a prat of yourself?

You still fishing in urc?

Have you done more than 7 miles on a bike in the last 20 years?

How embarrasing that you should be hanging about to make pronouncements on cycling.

That'd be like making out you were an expert on motorway driving when you live 170 miles from the
nearest motorway.

albert fish wrote:

> it's just another form of direct action by people that feel that they are not being listened to by
> tptb. true, it's a pointless and costly but it's a valid form of protest however much you or I
> disagree with the methods involved.

No, no no.

A direct action protest against speed laws would be to inform the police that you were going to
break the speed limit, arrange publicity, break the speed limit and get yourself arrested.

If you object to speed cameras, get the local paper to photograph you blacking it out, or cutting
the wires.

Blowing up or torching the cameras anonymously is a pathetic little tantrum.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:46:34 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Colin Blackburn wrote:
> >
> >>I know it is well OT but I was amused by a short piece in the Metro today about a motorist
> >>convicted of destroying a speed camera. He was clocked at 13mph over the limit (not sure what
> >>the limit was) and rather than face the fine, the points, and the sack from work, he took an
> >>angle grinder to the camera. Now, as well as the above, he has to pay 4000 pounds compensation
> >>and do 120 hours of community service. Will he learn, I doubt it. I hope they confiscated his
> >>angle grinder.
>
> >I'm currently trolling those in uk.rec.driving under the guise "roadrunner" suggesting a blanket
> >reduction of speed limits by 15 mph.
>
> That's your cover blown then. Haven't you got anything better to do that make a prat of yourself?
> --
> Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
> cameras cost lives

is this the same one as the canabis world poster below? the one that is the mounatineer as mentioned
in his earlier posts? I guess he has been smoking too much of the ****!

Groups search result 2 for Colin Blackburn

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose . Seeds and plants for sale. Organic. Free Salvia extract with order. .
bouncingb.com Sponsored Links

No One Beats Our Prices . Salvia divinorum, incense, plants, seeds, extracts - always on sale! .
www.iamshaman.com Banisteriopsis caapi . Cielo vines from Peru and young vines from Hawaii. In
stock now! . www.herbalexplorations.com

Search Result 2 From: Colin Blackburn ([email protected]) Subject: Re:
uk.rec.cannabis View: Complete Thread (152 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: rec.drugs.cannabis
Date: 2002-03-26 22:35:45 PST

> In MsgID<[email protected]> inside of uk.net.news.config, 'billa' remarked:
> >You make some good points
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'm not continuing it here, I just couldn't resist replying to the fool who called himself a
> doctor.

The title Dr may imply doctor but it doesn't imply medical doctor nor any medical background. He may
well be a fool who has a doctorate in byzantine art for all Dr tells us.

Colin
--
Colin Blackburn 2002 UN International Year of Mountains http://www.mountains2002.org/

--
Colin Blackburn - Unregistered User
View this thread: http://209.5.187.132/forums/showthread.php?threadid=367

Google Home - Advertise with Us - Business Solutions - Services & Tools - Jobs, Press, & Help

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 21:35:37 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:46:34 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I'm currently trolling those in uk.rec.driving under the guise

>> That's your cover blown then. Haven't you got anything better to do that make a prat of yourself?

>You still fishing in urc?

Actually one of the regulars there sent me an email.

I have friends in all sorts of places.
--

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:07:29 +0100, "Robin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:46:34 +0100, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >I'm currently trolling those in uk.rec.driving under the guise "roadrunner" suggesting a blanket
>> >reduction of speed limits by 15 mph.

>> That's your cover blown then. Haven't you got anything better to do that make a prat of yourself?

>Groups search result 2 for Colin Blackburn

Actually it's "Gonzalez" who admits to trolling as "Road Runner".
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

> > I have friends in all sorts of places. ... speed cameras cost lives
>
> Predictably, I can't decide which of these is the more unlikely claim.

Why do you need to choose between the two?

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:09:24 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
Jones) wrote:

>In the space of just one posting Paul "Oh, bugger off!" Smith <[email protected]> of
>Scotland, UK wrote:

>> I have friends in all sorts of places.

>> speed cameras cost lives

>Predictably, I can't decide which of these is the more unlikely claim.

Perhaps you'll find these interesting:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/brunstrom.html

and

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trl.html
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wasn't it once one of the duties of the AA Patrolman to stand upstream of police speed traps, and
> warn members?

Yes, I think "Patrols" were obliged to salute passing motorists, the absence of a salute implied a
policeman was close. According to folklore anyway.

Another device still in use is for motorists to flash their lights as a warning to others, a
practice I might once have shared but these days I have no sympathy for anyone getting booked, apart
from anything else it demonstrates poor observational skills. If they can't spot a police car or
camera what chance me on my bike?

Pete

> >> I have friends in all sorts of places.
>
> >> speed cameras cost lives
>
> >Predictably, I can't decide which of these is the more unlikely claim.
>
> Perhaps you'll find these interesting:
>
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/brunstrom.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trl.html
> --
Interesting - not really, I think the people concerned have every right in answering in the manner
they did, you asked questions that as far as I care, have been answered satisfactorily in the public
domain, why should you get special treatment.

As for verifying your two statements, they don't help at all convince me the speed cameras cost
lives. and they do convince me that you have enemies in all sorts of places.

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:03:44 +0100, "David Gillbe" <david.NO^&[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Predictably, I can't decide which of these is the more unlikely claim.

>> Perhaps you'll find these interesting:

>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/brunstrom.html

>> and

>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trl.html

>Interesting - not really, I think the people concerned have every right in answering in the manner
>they did, you asked questions that as far as I care, have been answered satisfactorily in the
>public domain, why should you get special treatment.

Well, in that case you'll obviously be able to provide references.

Otherwise I'll just know you're another buffoon blowing hot air.

>As for verifying your two statements, they don't help at all convince me the speed cameras cost
>lives. and they do convince me that you have enemies in all sorts of places.

I certainly do have enemies. Mostly they are liars playing god with public safety.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

> >Interesting - not really, I think the people concerned have every right
in
> >answering in the manner they did, you asked questions that as far as I
care,
> >have been answered satisfactorily in the public domain, why should you
get
> >special treatment.
>
> Well, in that case you'll obviously be able to provide references.

You provide them yourself, on your own website. And personal experience does a lot as well, having
been hit twice on my bike by drivers who were driving over the speed limit at the time.

> I certainly do have enemies. Mostly they are liars playing god with public safety.

I see far more evidence that speeding does cost lives than that it doesn't. Your argument that it is
not the speeding itself but the dangerous driving that comes with it that costs lives is pathetic.
Speeding in itself is dangerous. Cars over the speed limit are often out of control - because they
are driving to fast. It is fairly simple science that a car going faster is less likely to be able
to stop or manoeuvre in order to avoid an accident. That is why speed limits exist (except on the
M25, where they serve as a form of traffic control - a completely different topic). If every single
car had some kind of limiter ensuring that it never went over the local speed limit, I have
absolutely no doubt that less accidents would occur, and that less accidents would be fatal. Perhaps
you are the liar playing God with the public safety, or perhaps, each time you get in your car, you
are merely lying to yourself by pretending that driving over the speed limit is safe.