OT Spinning bike recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by To Father Time, May 19, 2003.

  1. Hello All,

    I'm looking for comparisons and recommendations on theses spinning bike:

    Johnny G Spinners

    or

    Star Trac V-bikes

    or

    Schwinn Spinner Pros

    ---
    Thank you very much,

    Father Time

    Tags:

  2. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for comparisons and recommendations on theses spinning bike:
    >
    > Johnny G Spinners
    >
    > or
    >
    > Star Trac V-bikes
    >
    > or
    >
    > Schwinn Spinner Pros
    >
    > ---
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Father Time

    I think you might find a better answer elsewhere. I don't think any of those are recumbent
    "spinners" and this NG is mostly populated by people who ride their bikes OUTDOORS.

    <Chas

  3. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Is this for home use? Do any of these bikes have instrumentation? I think the lack of
    instrumentation is a serious shortcoming of spinning bikes I have seen in the club. I know they
    have a philosophy about that, but I don't agree with it, especially if you are working out at home
    by yourself.

    I think cardio workouts need to be measureable and repeatable. Seems useful to compare perceived
    effort with actual performance, day to day.

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

    "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for comparisons and recommendations on theses spinning bike:
    >
    > Johnny G Spinners
    >
    > or
    >
    > Star Trac V-bikes
    >
    > or
    >
    > Schwinn Spinner Pros
    >
    > ---
    > Thank you very much,
    >
    > Father Time

  4. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for comparisons and recommendations on theses spinning bike:
    > >
    > > Johnny G Spinners
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > Star Trac V-bikes
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > Schwinn Spinner Pros
    > >
    > > ---
    > > Thank you very much,
    > >
    > > Father Time
    > >
    > I think you might find a better answer elsewhere. I don't think any of those are recumbent
    > "spinners" and this NG is mostly populated by people who ride their bikes OUTDOORS.
    >
    > <Chas>

    I have been regularly spinning in the local YMCA for over 2 years now. I have been a spinning
    instructor for the last 6 months. I spin 3 times a week in the winter, when weather conditions will
    not allow me to ride, and I continue to try and spin 1-2 times a week during the rest of the year,
    in addition to my riding. IMO, spinning is one of the best aerobic activities in which you can
    participate. There are no recumbent spinning bikes because it would not be possible to get the same
    workout with one. I can certainly spin faster on the spinning bike than I can when riding my Baron.
    Also, the high resistance work on a spinning bike can't be duplicated on a recumbent. When riding my
    Baron on the road, there is no way I can sustain the heart rate levels that I do on a spinner. I see
    no reason why aerobic crosstraining, such as spinning, can't, or shouldn't, be practiced in addition
    to riding, instead of in place of riding OUTDOORS, as you imply.

    The spinning bikes mentioned are all fine models and I believe any would work well. As a recumbent
    rider, who also spins, I am not particularly partial to the high amount of rider adjustment in the
    bikes mentioned. The spinners at my YMCA are old, Keiser models with only seat height adjustment and
    the leather tensioning band around the flywheel for resistance. They are outdated and lack the
    adjustability for rider position that newer models have, but there is a lot to be said for their
    simplicity and it is certaily possible to get an excellent workout on them. You will have to decide
    what features are most important to you.

    By the way, I believe it would be difficult to obtain the same level of a workout, on a spinning
    bike at home, as it would in the gym. The instructor, music and other riders are all important for
    motivation, when spinning. The atmosphere in the spinning room, full of other participants, really
    can't be duplicated at home. I am not suggesting that home spinning would not have benefits but that
    the structured sessions will give maxixmum results.

    Harry Jiles

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "to Father Time"
    > > > I'm looking for comparisons and recommendations on theses spinning bike:

    > > I think you might find a better answer elsewhere. I don't think any of those are recumbent
    > > "spinners" and this NG is mostly populated by people who ride their bikes OUTDOORS.

    > ...I see no reason why aerobic crosstraining, such as spinning, can't, or shouldn't, be practiced
    > in addition to riding, instead of in place of riding OUTDOORS, as you imply.

    INDOOR spinning bikes are not an On Topic discussion for this NG. (God only knows what would be On
    Topic for this NG) And I think <Chas> answer was appropriate. You sound as though you might be a
    little too sensitive to the issue.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Cletus,

    Who died and made you king??

    With the shit that flies here regularily about politics and cabbages and kings, this topic is closer
    to OT than most.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  7. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is this for home use? Do any of these bikes have instrumentation? I think the lack of
    > instrumentation is a serious shortcoming of spinning bikes I have seen in the club. I know they
    > have a philosophy about that, but I don't agree with it, especially if you are working out at home
    > by yourself.
    >
    > I think cardio workouts need to be measureable and repeatable. Seems useful to compare perceived
    > effort with actual performance, day to day.
    >
    > johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

    Using a HRM makes any aerobic workout measurable and repeatable, including spinning. I can tell you
    from experience, that even without a HRM, most people can certainly tell when they are pushing their
    aerobic, and anaerobic, limits.

    I agree that spinning workouts are most productive when done in an organized setting and not home
    alone. Most individuals will not push themselves as much, when alone, as in a session with an
    instructor and other participants, as I stated in an earlier post. The philosopy is sound, if you
    open yourself to it. If you would give me an honest effort for three, one hour spinning sessions a
    week, for four weeks, I guarantee you would see a marked improvement in your aerobic fitness. If you
    are not now engaged in intense aerobic exercise, you would see a dramatic improvement.

    Harry Jiles

  8. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "to Father Time"
    >
    > > > I think you might find a better answer elsewhere. I don't think any of those are recumbent
    > > > "spinners" and this NG is mostly populated by people who ride their bikes OUTDOORS.
    >
    > > ...I see no reason why aerobic crosstraining, such as spinning, can't, or shouldn't, be
    > > practiced in addition to riding, instead of in place of riding OUTDOORS, as you imply.
    >
    > INDOOR spinning bikes are not an On Topic discussion for this NG. (God only knows what would be On
    > Topic for this NG) And I think <Chas> answer was appropriate. You sound as though you might be a
    > little too sensitive to the issue.

    I'm not sensitive at all, although I find that those who usually dis spinning are not ambitious
    enough to try it themselves. This is a shame because, as I stated, I feel spinning is one of the
    best aerobic workouts one can do and as such, can certainly benefit one's riding as well as their
    overall health. As a method of crosstraining, I think it certainly is On Topic for recumbent
    riding. It has been discussed in the past, as have other types of crosstraining(rollerblading, XC
    skiing, etc.)

    Harry Jiles

  9. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    > I have been regularly spinning in the local YMCA for over 2 years now. I have been a spinning
    > instructor for the last 6 months. I spin 3 times a week in the winter, when weather conditions
    > will not allow me to ride, and I continue to try and spin 1-2 times a week during the rest of the
    > year, in addition to my riding. IMO, spinning is one of the best aerobic activities in which you
    > can participate. There are no recumbent spinning bikes because it would not be possible to get the
    > same workout with one. I can certainly spin faster on the spinning bike than I can when riding my
    > Baron. Also, the high resistance work on a spinning bike can't be duplicated on a recumbent. When
    > riding my Baron on the road, there is no way I can sustain the heart rate levels that I do on a
    > spinner. I see no reason why aerobic crosstraining, such as spinning, can't, or shouldn't, be
    > practiced in addition to riding, instead of in place of riding OUTDOORS, as you imply.
    >
    > The spinning bikes mentioned are all fine models and I believe any would work well. As a recumbent
    > rider, who also spins, I am not particularly partial to the high amount of rider adjustment in the
    > bikes mentioned. The spinners at my YMCA are old, Keiser models with only seat height adjustment
    > and the leather tensioning band around the flywheel for resistance. They are outdated and lack the
    > adjustability for rider position that newer models have, but there is a lot to be said for their
    > simplicity and it is certaily possible to get an excellent workout on them. You will have to
    > decide what features are most important to you.
    >
    > By the way, I believe it would be difficult to obtain the same level of a workout, on a spinning
    > bike at home, as it would in the gym. The instructor, music and other riders are all important for
    > motivation, when spinning. The atmosphere in the spinning room, full of other participants, really
    > can't be duplicated at home. I am not suggesting that home spinning would not have benefits but
    > that the structured sessions will give maxixmum results.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

    Hey Harry cool out, I wasn't 'dis'ing anything, least of all "spinning" I was merely suggesting that
    the poster might find a better answer in another newsgroup.

    I wear a HRM while both working out in the gym and on my 'bent, and I have little difficulty
    achieving similar HR/time workouts. The only difference I see in the workout quality _I_ get is that
    riding anything indoors is BORING. _I_ find it much easier to keep my HR high climbing a hill for 5
    miles than it is to keep it at the same rate on the bike in the gym. YMMV.

    <Chas

  10. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Hey Harry cool out, I wasn't 'dis'ing anything, least of all "spinning" I was merely suggesting
    > that the poster might find a better answer in another newsgroup.
    >
    > I wear a HRM while both working out in the gym and on my 'bent, and I have little difficulty
    > achieving similar HR/time workouts. The only difference I see in the workout quality _I_ get is
    > that riding anything indoors is BORING. _I_ find it much easier to keep my HR high climbing a hill
    > for 5 miles than it is to keep it at the same rate on the bike in the gym. YMMV.
    >
    > <Chas>

    Cool out about what? I added my thoughts to the discussion, as you yourself had already done.
    Perhaps, you should read my reply to your post again? No where, in i,t did I say you were 'dis'ing
    spinning. That remark was in my reply to Cletus and was a general statement relating my opinion. You
    are certain free to agree or disagree with it just as I may agree or disagree with your opinions or
    those of any others who post. This is a public discussion forum, is it not?

    Yes, spinning is usually indoors. However, there are many days during the winter and early spring,
    here where I live and in other areas, when the weather and roads are not suitable for any riding.
    Many people workout indoors during these times. Even during good riding weather, I can schedule
    spinning sessions in the evening, after dark, which I do. I do not replace actual riding with
    spinning, I suppliment my riding with spinning, as do most cyclists that I know , who regularly
    spin. You might also be interested to know that most triathletes here regularly spin as part of
    their training, as well as their cycling, running and swimming training.

    Have you ever participated in a spinning session? It is certainly not boring when done correctly.
    They are only 1 hour long. The lights, music and instructor's routine make them very fast paced of a
    very high energy level. I regularly ask my participant's opinions on my sessions and have never
    heard anyone suggest they were even slightly boring.

    As I said, I regularly spin and I also ride. I ride a lot and I usually ride at a high energy level.
    I also wear a HRM. Because of the complete and constant control of the resistance that you have on
    the spinning bike and because of the motivational atmosphere of the spinning room, I find it almost
    impossible to reproduce the same intensity on the road, while riding. I can push my heart rate
    higher and longer in the spinning room than on the road.

    I have never said spinning should replace riding but simply said it can complement and improve it
    and base my opinion on my personal experience. You may disagree but I would be interested in knowing
    whether your opinion is based on experience(organized spinning, not an exercise bike) or just
    conjecture.

    Harry Jiles

  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    the one thing that is usually different at indoor spinning classes to outdoor recumbent riders
    overall , is the bellies of recumbent riders are larger than indoor spinners. spinning is a very
    good cross training for your overall athletic condition, and individual stationary cycling with a
    HRM doesn't come close to a well run spinning class.