OT - Sports reporting from the Guardian

Status

Stephen Baker

Guest
Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from ther cricket reporter at the
India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

It's really simple: India are already through, New Zealand have to win.

Meanwhile, have you ever thought WHAT SORT OF LIFE IS THIS AND WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING BOARDING A
TRAIN FOR MOORGATE AT 6.30 IN THE MORNING AND THEN STANDING AROUND FOR AGES WAITING FOR A TUBE WHILE
STARING AT A SIGN TELLING YOU THAT IF YOU WAIT FOR FOUR MINUTES YOU CAN BOARD A TRAIN TO UXBRIDGE
I'D RATHER WAIT FOUR HOURS FOR A JOURNEY WITH THE GRIM REAPER QUITE FRANKLY AND THEN YOU GET TO WORK
AND THEN THERE'S THIS AND I KNOW THE CRICKET'S GOOD AND ALL THAT BUT I'VE GOT OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE
OF BED THIS MORNING AND IN ANY CASE IT'S NOT AS IF I'LL WRITE A CRACKING MATCH REPORT AND THEN GET
REWARDED BY BEING SENT ON A WONDERFUL ASSIGNMENT AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE I'LL BE VERY SURPRISED IF
ANY OF MY BOSSES WILL READ ANY OF THIS LET'S BE HONEST THEY WON'T ALTHOUGH ON THE OTHER HAND THAT'S
PROBABLY JUST AS WELL HEY I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH TYPING THINGS LIKE THIS
KIqL!UYS^%$DFLI ZSDSAFC SFE4O92 )(^(*^o"$ bBLKU E875O3 96*&^%o*"$ogb LOOK I'M SORRY THIS ISN'T
EXACTLY THE SORT OF QUALITY EDITORIAL COPY YOU EXPECT FROM THE GUARDIAN BUT LOOK AT THE FACTS I'M
ADRIFT IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE WORST CITIES IN THE WORLD SITTING IN FRONT OF THE SAME COMPUTER
SCREEN I FACE DAY AFTER INTERMINABLE DAY HELL I COULD BE WAKING UP IN SAY THE MALDIVES OR SYDNEY OR
COPENHAGEN OR A CROFTER'S COTTAGE IN SKYE AND GOING FOR A WALK IN THE CRISP MORNING AIR?

No? Only me then. Good.

Rimmer, you turned your hand to cricket? ;-)

Steve Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/private/scbweb/home.htm

Bomba

Guest
Stephen Baker wrote:
> Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from ther cricket reporter at the
> India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

<snip>

That's only the start of the report. You can find the rest at:
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricketworldcup2003/overbyover/story/0,12864,914033,00.html

There's some debate behind it at the moment. Current thinking is that it's publicity stunt, and it's
worked - it's already been round the 'net several times in the last few days.

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from
ther
> cricket reporter at the India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

> It's really simple: India are already through, New Zealand have to win.
>
> Meanwhile, have you ever thought WHAT SORT OF LIFE IS THIS AND WHAT THE
HELL AM
> I DOING BOARDING A TRAIN FOR MOORGATE AT 6.30 IN THE MORNING AND THEN
STANDING
> AROUND FOR AGES WAITING FOR A TUBE WHILE STARING AT A SIGN TELLING YOU
THAT IF
> YOU WAIT FOR FOUR MINUTES YOU CAN BOARD A TRAIN TO UXBRIDGE I'D RATHER
WAIT
> FOUR HOURS FOR A JOURNEY WITH THE GRIM REAPER QUITE FRANKLY AND THEN YOU
GET TO
> WORK AND THEN THERE'S THIS AND I KNOW THE CRICKET'S GOOD AND ALL THAT BUT
I'VE
> GOT OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE OF BED THIS MORNING AND IN ANY CASE IT'S NOT AS
IF
> I'LL WRITE A CRACKING MATCH REPORT AND THEN GET REWARDED BY BEING SENT ON
> WONDERFUL ASSIGNMENT AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE I'LL BE VERY SURPRISED IF
ANY OF
> MY BOSSES WILL READ ANY OF THIS LET'S BE HONEST THEY WON'T ALTHOUGH ON THE OTHER HAND THAT'S
> PROBABLY JUST AS WELL HEY I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY
WITH
> TYPING THINGS LIKE THIS KIqL!UYS^%$DFLI ZSDSAFC SFE4O92 )(^(*^o"$ bBLKU
E875O3
> 96*&^%o*"$ogb LOOK I'M SORRY THIS ISN'T EXACTLY THE SORT OF QUALITY
EDITORIAL
> COPY YOU EXPECT FROM THE GUARDIAN BUT LOOK AT THE FACTS I'M ADRIFT IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE
> WORST CITIES IN THE WORLD SITTING IN FRONT OF THE
SAME
> COMPUTER SCREEN I FACE DAY AFTER INTERMINABLE DAY HELL I COULD BE WAKING
UP IN
> SAY THE MALDIVES OR SYDNEY OR COPENHAGEN OR A CROFTER'S COTTAGE IN SKYE
AND
> GOING FOR A WALK IN THE CRISP MORNING AIR?
>
> No? Only me then. Good.
>
> Rimmer, you turned your hand to cricket? ;-)

Heh, you kidding? I could rant _much_ better than that, but I'm too damned happy to at the
moment.....

Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the silly
sod, she only went and said

Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}

Stephen Baker

Guest
>Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
>silly sod, she only went and said

>Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}

Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
myself ;-))

My condolences to the poor girl.........

Steve

Bomba

Guest
Stephen Baker wrote:
>>Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
>>silly sod, she only went and said

>>Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
>

> Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
> myself ;-))
>
> My condolences to the poor girl.........

I think you need to offer more than condolences. 'Treatment' might be more appropriate...

So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the pub
(I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?

Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group... 8^D

Michael Dart

Guest

> Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> silly sod, she only went and said

> Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}

I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)

Mike

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> >silly sod, she only went and said

> >Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
>
> Well, congratulations, you fool!

Heheheh - cheers y'owd bugger!

> I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it myself
;-))

Bubbly...hhmmmm........hic!

> My condolences to the poor girl.........

I know - I feel really sorry for her, but hey, for some strange reason she loves me and is happy
with the fact....I think I found me a mad woman........heheheheh.......

Well, I popped the question while we were sat outside a cave full of partying nut-cases, on some
rocks overlooking the valley in the moonlight. I'd been wanting to for ages, and the ol' moment was
good. She nearly fell over the hillside.

We went back to the party grinning like mad. We asked Dai, the mad and hairy old Cumbrian Welshman,
if he'd put on a frilly dress should we ask him to. He said 'no bother', and 'why? (boyo)', then
called me a stupid t*at when I told him we were gonna jump over the broom (we are gonna do that,
heheheheh) and wanted him as a bridesmaid, before handing me a rather large drink, joint and asking
'will there be any people with cameras there?'.

It's a crazy world - good job it's got me in it to temper it with a bit of sanity.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> > silly sod, she only went and said

> > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
>
> Congratulations mate! Beers are on me, next time we meet up.

It's a deal - cheers pal!

',;~}

Shaun aRe - Never thought I'd see the day........

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> > silly sod, she only went and said

> > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
> >

> I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)

Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}

Shaun aRe

Huw Pritchard

Guest
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:01:42 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

> Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> silly sod, she only went and said

> Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}

Congratulations Mr Rimmer, you old romantic sod, you.

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
> Stephen Baker wrote:
> >>Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> >>silly sod, she only went and said

> >>Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
> >

> > Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
> > myself
;-))

> > My condolences to the poor girl.........
>
> I think you need to offer more than condolences. 'Treatment' might be more appropriate...

She must already be beyond that, afterall, she did say 'yes'......

> So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the pub
> (I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?

Heheheh - just said in my reply to Steve - underneath the moon and stars, sat on a grassy knoll
overlooking the valley, at night, with bottle of wine and spliff handy, about 50 or so yards away
from a cave full of drunken looneys. We made mad passionate love afterwards, which highly
entertained the rest of the party......

Shaun aRe - is this where I start paying?...... ',:~}

> Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group... 8^D
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:01:42 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
>
> > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> > silly sod, she only went and said

> > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
>
> Congratulations Mr Rimmer, you old romantic sod, you.

Cheers Huw! I swore I'd never get married, but for some reason, eeerrrmm, it seemd like a good idea
suddenly......musta been brain mashed from all the wood smoke or summink.........

Shaun aRe

Michael Dart

Guest

> Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> > > silly sod, she only went and said

> > > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}
> > >

> > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
>
> Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
> much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}
>
> Shaun aRe

Three months salary is the rule of ..erm..'thumb'.

Sorni

Guest

> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the
> > pub (I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?
>
> Heheheh - just said in my reply to Steve - underneath the moon and stars, sat on a grassy knoll
> overlooking the valley, at night, with bottle of
wine
> and spliff handy, about 50 or so yards away from a cave full of drunken looneys. We made mad
> passionate love afterwards, which highly entertained the rest of the party......
>
> Shaun aRe - is this where I start paying?...... ',:~}

Not to mention PRAYING! Congrats, Shaun (but better you than me ;-)

> > Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group...

What, a hetero marriage for a change!?!?

Bill "shouldn't paint Glidden that way (arr-arr)" S.

Bomba

Guest
Michael Dart wrote:

>>Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
>>much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}
>
> Three months salary is the rule of ..erm..'thumb'.

Taywood

Guest
> Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
> silly sod, she only went and said

> Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh ****.........',;~}

So, where's this place Dosworthy. Can we ride it? Sounds like somewhere to stay away from. Mike

Taywood

Guest
> I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
>
> Mike

Aye, and from this Mike an all. Silly bugger. Mike

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>
> > good job it's got me in it to temper it with a bit of sanity.
>
> You're allowed to dream.........

I'm living it mate.

',;~}

> ;-)
>
> Steve

Later Steve!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Taywood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
> >
> > Mike
>
> Aye, and from this Mike an all. Silly bugger. Mike

Cheers Mike!

'Silly bugger'? You had any doubt? Heheheheh ',;~}

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Status
Not open for further replies.