OT - Sports reporting from the Guardian

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Stephen Baker, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from ther cricket reporter at the
    India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

    It's really simple: India are already through, New Zealand have to win.

    Meanwhile, have you ever thought WHAT SORT OF LIFE IS THIS AND WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING BOARDING A
    TRAIN FOR MOORGATE AT 6.30 IN THE MORNING AND THEN STANDING AROUND FOR AGES WAITING FOR A TUBE WHILE
    STARING AT A SIGN TELLING YOU THAT IF YOU WAIT FOR FOUR MINUTES YOU CAN BOARD A TRAIN TO UXBRIDGE
    I'D RATHER WAIT FOUR HOURS FOR A JOURNEY WITH THE GRIM REAPER QUITE FRANKLY AND THEN YOU GET TO WORK
    AND THEN THERE'S THIS AND I KNOW THE CRICKET'S GOOD AND ALL THAT BUT I'VE GOT OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE
    OF BED THIS MORNING AND IN ANY CASE IT'S NOT AS IF I'LL WRITE A CRACKING MATCH REPORT AND THEN GET
    REWARDED BY BEING SENT ON A WONDERFUL ASSIGNMENT AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE I'LL BE VERY SURPRISED IF
    ANY OF MY BOSSES WILL READ ANY OF THIS LET'S BE HONEST THEY WON'T ALTHOUGH ON THE OTHER HAND THAT'S
    PROBABLY JUST AS WELL HEY I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH TYPING THINGS LIKE THIS
    KIqL!UYS^%$DFLI ZSDSAFC SFE4O92 )(^(*^o"$ bBLKU E875O3 96*&^%o*"$ogb LOOK I'M SORRY THIS ISN'T
    EXACTLY THE SORT OF QUALITY EDITORIAL COPY YOU EXPECT FROM THE GUARDIAN BUT LOOK AT THE FACTS I'M
    ADRIFT IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE WORST CITIES IN THE WORLD SITTING IN FRONT OF THE SAME COMPUTER
    SCREEN I FACE DAY AFTER INTERMINABLE DAY HELL I COULD BE WAKING UP IN SAY THE MALDIVES OR SYDNEY OR
    COPENHAGEN OR A CROFTER'S COTTAGE IN SKYE AND GOING FOR A WALK IN THE CRISP MORNING AIR?

    No? Only me then. Good.

    Rimmer, you turned your hand to cricket? ;-)

    Steve Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/private/scbweb/home.htm

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from ther cricket reporter at the
    > India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

    <snip>

    That's only the start of the report. You can find the rest at:
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricketworldcup2003/overbyover/story/0,12864,914033,00.html

    There's some debate behind it at the moment. Current thinking is that it's publicity stunt, and it's
    worked - it's already been round the 'net several times in the last few days.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had to throw this in. It's from (see subject line) The Guardian, from
    ther
    > cricket reporter at the India v. New Zealand game. I think I know how he feels.....

    > It's really simple: India are already through, New Zealand have to win.
    >
    > Meanwhile, have you ever thought WHAT SORT OF LIFE IS THIS AND WHAT THE
    HELL AM
    > I DOING BOARDING A TRAIN FOR MOORGATE AT 6.30 IN THE MORNING AND THEN
    STANDING
    > AROUND FOR AGES WAITING FOR A TUBE WHILE STARING AT A SIGN TELLING YOU
    THAT IF
    > YOU WAIT FOR FOUR MINUTES YOU CAN BOARD A TRAIN TO UXBRIDGE I'D RATHER
    WAIT
    > FOUR HOURS FOR A JOURNEY WITH THE GRIM REAPER QUITE FRANKLY AND THEN YOU
    GET TO
    > WORK AND THEN THERE'S THIS AND I KNOW THE CRICKET'S GOOD AND ALL THAT BUT
    I'VE
    > GOT OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE OF BED THIS MORNING AND IN ANY CASE IT'S NOT AS
    IF
    > I'LL WRITE A CRACKING MATCH REPORT AND THEN GET REWARDED BY BEING SENT ON
    > WONDERFUL ASSIGNMENT AROUND THE WORLD BECAUSE I'LL BE VERY SURPRISED IF
    ANY OF
    > MY BOSSES WILL READ ANY OF THIS LET'S BE HONEST THEY WON'T ALTHOUGH ON THE OTHER HAND THAT'S
    > PROBABLY JUST AS WELL HEY I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY
    WITH
    > TYPING THINGS LIKE THIS KIqL!UYS^%$DFLI ZSDSAFC SFE4O92 )(^(*^o"$ bBLKU
    E875O3
    > 96*&^%o*"$ogb LOOK I'M SORRY THIS ISN'T EXACTLY THE SORT OF QUALITY
    EDITORIAL
    > COPY YOU EXPECT FROM THE GUARDIAN BUT LOOK AT THE FACTS I'M ADRIFT IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE OF THE
    > WORST CITIES IN THE WORLD SITTING IN FRONT OF THE
    SAME
    > COMPUTER SCREEN I FACE DAY AFTER INTERMINABLE DAY HELL I COULD BE WAKING
    UP IN
    > SAY THE MALDIVES OR SYDNEY OR COPENHAGEN OR A CROFTER'S COTTAGE IN SKYE
    AND
    > GOING FOR A WALK IN THE CRISP MORNING AIR?
    >
    > No? Only me then. Good.
    >
    > Rimmer, you turned your hand to cricket? ;-)

    Heh, you kidding? I could rant _much_ better than that, but I'm too damned happy to at the
    moment.....

    Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the silly
    sod, she only went and said

    Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}

  4. >Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    >silly sod, she only went and said

    >Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}

    Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
    myself ;-))

    My condolences to the poor girl.........

    Steve

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    >>Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    >>silly sod, she only went and said

    >>Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    >

    > Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
    > myself ;-))
    >
    > My condolences to the poor girl.........

    I think you need to offer more than condolences. 'Treatment' might be more appropriate...

    So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the pub
    (I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?

    Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group... 8^D

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > silly sod, she only went and said

    > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}

    I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)

    Mike

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > >silly sod, she only went and said

    > >Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    >
    > Well, congratulations, you fool!

    Heheheh - cheers y'owd bugger!

    > I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it myself
    ;-))

    Bubbly...hhmmmm........hic!

    > My condolences to the poor girl.........

    I know - I feel really sorry for her, but hey, for some strange reason she loves me and is happy
    with the fact....I think I found me a mad woman........heheheheh.......

    Well, I popped the question while we were sat outside a cave full of partying nut-cases, on some
    rocks overlooking the valley in the moonlight. I'd been wanting to for ages, and the ol' moment was
    good. She nearly fell over the hillside.

    We went back to the party grinning like mad. We asked Dai, the mad and hairy old Cumbrian Welshman,
    if he'd put on a frilly dress should we ask him to. He said 'no bother', and 'why? (boyo)', then
    called me a stupid t*at when I told him we were gonna jump over the broom (we are gonna do that,
    heheheheh) and wanted him as a bridesmaid, before handing me a rather large drink, joint and asking
    'will there be any people with cameras there?'.

    It's a crazy world - good job it's got me in it to temper it with a bit of sanity.

    Shaun aRe

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > > silly sod, she only went and said

    > > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    >
    > Congratulations mate! Beers are on me, next time we meet up.

    It's a deal - cheers pal!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - Never thought I'd see the day........

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > > silly sod, she only went and said

    > > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    > >

    > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)

    Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
    much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}

    Shaun aRe

  11. On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:01:42 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > silly sod, she only went and said

    > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}

    Congratulations Mr Rimmer, you old romantic sod, you.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Stephen Baker wrote:
    > >>Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > >>silly sod, she only went and said

    > >>Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    > >

    > > Well, congratulations, you fool! I'll open a bottle of bubbly for you, but I'll have to drink it
    > > myself
    ;-))

    > > My condolences to the poor girl.........
    >
    > I think you need to offer more than condolences. 'Treatment' might be more appropriate...

    She must already be beyond that, afterall, she did say 'yes'......

    > So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the pub
    > (I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?

    Heheheh - just said in my reply to Steve - underneath the moon and stars, sat on a grassy knoll
    overlooking the valley, at night, with bottle of wine and spliff handy, about 50 or so yards away
    from a cave full of drunken looneys. We made mad passionate love afterwards, which highly
    entertained the rest of the party......

    Shaun aRe - is this where I start paying?...... ',:~}

    > Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group... 8^D
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:01:42 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > > silly sod, she only went and said

    > > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    >
    > Congratulations Mr Rimmer, you old romantic sod, you.

    Cheers Huw! I swore I'd never get married, but for some reason, eeerrrmm, it seemd like a good idea
    suddenly......musta been brain mashed from all the wood smoke or summink.........

    Shaun aRe

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > > > silly sod, she only went and said

    > > > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}
    > > >

    > > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
    >
    > Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
    > much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Three months salary is the rule of ..erm..'thumb'.

  15. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > So come on Shaun, details. Underneath the stars with a bottle of champagne, or langered in the
    > > pub (I know someone who's done this)? Have you planned a date?
    >
    > Heheheh - just said in my reply to Steve - underneath the moon and stars, sat on a grassy knoll
    > overlooking the valley, at night, with bottle of
    wine
    > and spliff handy, about 50 or so yards away from a cave full of drunken looneys. We made mad
    > passionate love afterwards, which highly entertained the rest of the party......
    >
    > Shaun aRe - is this where I start paying?...... ',:~}

    Not to mention PRAYING! Congrats, Shaun (but better you than me ;-)

    > > Anyone remember Chris Glidden and James Messick? This could be a good thing for the group...

    What, a hetero marriage for a change!?!?

    Bill "shouldn't paint Glidden that way (arr-arr)" S.

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    >>Cheers Mike! My head is still struggling to come to terms with this, heheheheh.....hell fire, how
    >>much are rings these days?!?!? ',:~}
    >
    > Three months salary is the rule of ..erm..'thumb'.

  17. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    > Shaun aRe Proposed this w/e. Yup, thass right, 'me', Shaun, popped the question (!?!), and the
    > silly sod, she only went and said

    > Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeehaheheheheh! Oh shit.........',;~}

    So, where's this place Dosworthy. Can we ride it? Sounds like somewhere to stay away from. Mike

  18. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    Aye, and from this Mike an all. Silly bugger. Mike

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > > good job it's got me in it to temper it with a bit of sanity.
    >
    > You're allowed to dream.........

    I'm living it mate.

    ',;~}

    > ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    Later Steve!

    Shaun aRe

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Taywood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > I'd say! Well since you're obviously beyond hope now I'll just say congratulations! ;^)
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Aye, and from this Mike an all. Silly bugger. Mike

    Cheers Mike!

    'Silly bugger'? You had any doubt? Heheheheh ',;~}

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe