OT - still biking though - Road Finds.

Andy Chequer

Guest
SB's frightening new look reminded me of the eagle mascot he keeps on his helmet. One of the things
I like about cycle commuting is the interesting objects that end up on the side of the road. In the
past month I have recovered

- an 8mm spanner.

- a Cateye LED rear light (still flashing!!!)

- a pair of pliers

- one of those rubber boots for V brake cables

- a pair of jockey wheels.

What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> SB's frightening new look reminded me of the eagle mascot he keeps on his helmet. One of the
> things I like about cycle commuting is the interesting objects that end up on the side of the
> road. In the past month I have recovered
>
> - an 8mm spanner.
>
> - a Cateye LED rear light (still flashing!!!)
>
> - a pair of pliers
>
> - one of those rubber boots for V brake cables
>
> - a pair of jockey wheels.
>
> What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
> trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......
>
> Andy Chequer

Brand new, latest model Samsung full colour, polyphonic, intynet-full-of-bells-and-whistles picture
phone, week before last.

Cheers! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Looked in 'phone book', found 'home', dialled it, gave it 'em back..........

P.s. - Any luck at that s/h bike place dear Andy Geezer old chap wot-oh? ',;~}~

In article <[email protected]>, "Andy Chequer"
<andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> says...
> SB's frightening new look reminded me of the eagle mascot he keeps on his helmet. One of the
> things I like about cycle commuting is the interesting objects that end up on the side of the
> road. In the past month I have recovered
>
> - an 8mm spanner.
>
> - a Cateye LED rear light (still flashing!!!)
>
> - a pair of pliers
>
> - one of those rubber boots for V brake cables
>
> - a pair of jockey wheels.
>
> What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
> trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......
>
> Andy Chequer

That's where i got my Leatherman multi-tool. has one thing broken off (not sure what it was), and
the point of the knife is broken.

Though it was a few years ago, back when i used to ride a snowmobile.

Happened to stop to do a little snow coloring, when i spied a shiny object about 3" in
front of a ski.
--
~Travis

Andy Chequer wrote:
> SB's frightening new look reminded me of the eagle mascot he keeps on his helmet. One of the
> things I like about cycle commuting is the interesting objects that end up on the side of the
> road. In the past month I have recovered
>
> - an 8mm spanner.
>
> - a Cateye LED rear light (still flashing!!!)
>
> - a pair of pliers
>
> - one of those rubber boots for V brake cables
>
> - a pair of jockey wheels.
>
> What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
> trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......
>
> Andy Chequer

Stalled going up a hill on a local trail, looked down and found a clay tablet with strange symbols
all over it. Never really knew what to make of it till a couple years later and I saw the same
tablet on the front page of our local paper!

Turns out some guy made a whole bunch of these fake cuneiform tablets a while back and sprinkled
them in parks all around town. The local university archaeologist calls him the cuneiform fairy.

I framed the article and keep it next to the tablet. Makes a nice conversation piece.

> Happened to stop to do a little snow coloring, when i spied a shiny object about 3" in front
> of a ski.

Interesting coincidence. I found a brass zippo when writing my name in the snow once.

;-)

Andy Chequer

> Shaun aRe - Looked in 'phone book', found 'home', dialled it, gave it 'em back..........

Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.

> P.s. - Any luck at that s/h bike place dear Andy Geezer old chap wot-oh? ',;~}~

Check your mail.

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Shaun aRe - Looked in 'phone book', found 'home', dialled it, gave it
'em
> > back..........
>
> Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.

Yeah, was a bit of a moral Dial Emma. Things that swung it were:

Belonged to a young newly wed girl (their wedding photos were up in a slideshow/screensaver) -
looked to be a prezzie from hubby.

If I lost my phone, I'd want someone to give it back to me.

The funky chargers for them thing ain't cheap to buy separately.

Oh, and Kath woulda kicked my **** senseless.

If it wasn't for those things, I'd have been straight down the pub and flogged it to some dodgy kids
- honest guv, I'm a right ******* me.

',;~}~

> > P.s. - Any luck at that s/h bike place dear Andy Geezer old chap wot-oh? ',;~}~
>
> Check your mail.

Cheers Andy - gonna take a look now.

Shaun aRe - Oh, 'he' gave me a fiver for beers when I gave him her phone back, so, that kept me
wetted for 2 minutes......

Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Happened to stop to do a little snow coloring, when i spied a shiny object about 3" in front of
> > a ski.
>
> Interesting coincidence. I found a brass zippo when writing my name in the snow once.
>
> ;-)

Ouch?

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.
>

> Yeah, was a bit of a moral Dial Emma. Things that swung it were:
>
> Belonged to a young newly wed girl (their wedding photos were up in a slideshow/screensaver) -
> looked to be a prezzie from hubby.
>
> If I lost my phone, I'd want someone to give it back to me.
>
> The funky chargers for them thing ain't cheap to buy separately.
>
> Oh, and Kath woulda kicked my **** senseless.
>
> If it wasn't for those things, I'd have been straight down the pub and flogged it to some dodgy
> kids - honest guv, I'm a right ******* me.

Losing your phone is a PITA. Well, mine was actually stolen whilst I was in Geneva, and to make
things worse the ***** that did it sliced up the lining of my Hugo Boss leather jacket to get to it.

Bitter? Not in the slightest...

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.
> >

> > Yeah, was a bit of a moral Dial Emma. Things that swung it were:
> >
> > Belonged to a young newly wed girl (their wedding photos were up in a slideshow/screensaver) -
> > looked to be a prezzie from hubby.
> >
> > If I lost my phone, I'd want someone to give it back to me.
> >
> > The funky chargers for them thing ain't cheap to buy separately.
> >
> > Oh, and Kath woulda kicked my **** senseless.
> >
> > If it wasn't for those things, I'd have been straight down the pub and flogged it to some dodgy
> > kids - honest guv, I'm a right ******* me.
>
> Losing your phone is a PITA.

I keep meaning to put all my numbers in one of those cardboard and paper thingies in case I lose my
phone, but somehow, it never happens...........

> Well, mine was actually stolen whilst I was in Geneva, and to make things worse the ***** that did
> it sliced up the lining of my Hugo Boss leather jacket to get to it.

While I feel for you there Bomba, really, it serves you right for wearing such a twatty jacket.

> Bitter? Not in the slightest...

I'll bet ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

> Stalled going up a hill on a local trail, looked down and found a clay tablet with strange symbols
> all over it. Never really knew what to make of it till a couple years later and I saw the same
> tablet on the front page of our local paper!
>
> Turns out some guy made a whole bunch of these fake cuneiform tablets a while back and sprinkled
> them in parks all around town. The local university archaeologist calls him the cuneiform fairy.
>
> I framed the article and keep it next to the tablet. Makes a nice conversation piece.

That's a great one. I like that. A lot.

Keep 'em coming......

Andy Chequer

> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Shaun aRe - Looked in 'phone book', found 'home', dialled it, gave it
> 'em
> > > back..........
> >
> > Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.
>
> Yeah, was a bit of a moral Dial Emma. Things that swung it were:
>
> Belonged to a young newly wed girl (their wedding photos were up in a slideshow/screensaver) -
> looked to be a prezzie from hubby.

That would be a real conscience pricker.

> If I lost my phone, I'd want someone to give it back to me.

Also a good one. Do as you would have done to you.......

> The funky chargers for them thing ain't cheap to buy separately.

More practical. Not as rosy LOL!

> Oh, and Kath woulda kicked my **** senseless.

Again practical. If you tell her what happened, you'd get your **** kicked, if you lied, you'd get
"how come you can afford this posh phone when you can't afford to take me out to dinner" and then
the lie would bite you on the **** one day and you'd get your **** kicked then.

Let's face it, a kicked or kicked and bitten **** is just no price to pay for a wanky
techno trinket.

Sleep well.

Andy Chequer

> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Happened to stop to do a little snow coloring, when i spied a shiny object about 3" in front
> > > of a ski.
> >
> > Interesting coincidence. I found a brass zippo when writing my name in
the
> > snow once.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> Ouch?

It wasn't lit. Or anywhere near my nob, either.

Zippo lighters are the fourth most overrated thing in the world, after

VW Beetle (aircooled) - don't go, don't stop, steer at their discretion rather than yours, sound
farty and ****, no space to put anything big, but has headroom for a 7 foot circus freak. Nice to
see VW have worked the practicality problems skillfuly into the very useful, tasteful and nice Golf
IV to sell to impressionable trendy people as the new Beetle.

WD-40 - Doesn't clean contacts as well as proper Switch Cleaner, Doesn't smell as nice as GT85,
doesn't penetrate siezed threads as well as deb Duck Oil.

Marzocchi Bombers. Their legendary reliability doesn't seem to stop them expiring a lot. Pffffffff,
new seals please......

As for the Zippo, once you've fitted a nice new bit of wick, filled it up with lighter fuel and
changed the flint, striking it will elict a fireball that engulfs your hand and removes all traces
of hair. The following day you will find that it has lost all its fuel because there's no proper
sealing and you've got to refuel it and do it again. Hail the humble Clipper, an unpretentious
solution to lighting up.

Andy Chequer fancied a rant.

P.S. while I'm ranting, people who do Hollywoodesque tricks with Zippos think they're cool, but
they're actually sad wankers.

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>Swish as. I'd love to say I'd have done the same.
> >

> > Yeah, was a bit of a moral Dial Emma. Things that swung it were:
> >
> > Belonged to a young newly wed girl (their wedding photos were up in a slideshow/screensaver) -
> > looked to be a prezzie from hubby.
> >
> > If I lost my phone, I'd want someone to give it back to me.
> >
> > The funky chargers for them thing ain't cheap to buy separately.
> >
> > Oh, and Kath woulda kicked my **** senseless.
> >
> > If it wasn't for those things, I'd have been straight down the pub and flogged it to some dodgy
> > kids - honest guv, I'm a right ******* me.
>
> Losing your phone is a PITA. Well, mine was actually stolen whilst I was in Geneva, and to
> make things worse the ***** that did it sliced up the lining of my Hugo Boss leather jacket to
> get to it.
>
> Bitter? Not in the slightest...
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

I'm going to Geneva next month, is crime a big problem there? Might have to be extra careful...

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> Losing your phone is a PITA.
>
> I keep meaning to put all my numbers in one of those cardboard and paper thingies in case I lose
> my phone, but somehow, it never happens...........

I put retrun address stickers on stuff. Either than or use a paint pen.

Penny

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Losing your phone is a PITA.
>

> I keep meaning to put all my numbers in one of those cardboard and paper thingies in case I lose
> my phone, but somehow, it never happens...........

You ought to. I did, and I'm glad of it.

>>Well, mine was actually stolen whilst I was in Geneva, and to make things worse the ***** that did
>>it sliced up the lining of my Hugo Boss leather jacket to get to it.
>

> While I feel for you there Bomba, really, it serves you right for wearing such a twatty jacket.

Yeah, I just knew I'd get sympathy off you. I don't care what you say, I love that jacket and it
ranks up there as one of my best ever purchases.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 16:31:01 +0100, "Andy Chequer"
<andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote:

>"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Interesting coincidence. I found a brass zippo when writing my name in
>the
>> > snow once.
>> >
>> > ;-)
>>
>> Ouch?
>
>It wasn't lit. Or anywhere near my nob, either.
>
>Zippo lighters are the fourth most overrated thing in the world, after
>
>VW Beetle (aircooled) - don't go, don't stop, steer at their discretion rather than yours, sound
>farty and ****, no space to put anything big, but has headroom for a 7 foot circus freak. Nice to
>see VW have worked the practicality problems skillfuly into the very useful, tasteful and nice Golf
>IV to sell to impressionable trendy people as the new Beetle.

Agreed

>WD-40 - Doesn't clean contacts as well as proper Switch Cleaner, Doesn't smell as nice as GT85,
>doesn't penetrate siezed threads as well as deb Duck Oil.

Also agreed!

>Marzocchi Bombers. Their legendary reliability doesn't seem to stop them expiring a lot. Pffffffff,
>new seals please......

After 2 1/2 seasons on one I strongly disagree!

>As for the Zippo, once you've fitted a nice new bit of wick, filled it up with lighter fuel and
>changed the flint, striking it will elict a fireball that engulfs your hand and removes all
>traces of hair.

Uh, that would be called "OVER" filling Dr. C. As a owner of several Zippo lighters, I can safely
say that would be classified as OPERATOR ERROR.

The following day you
>will find that it has lost all its fuel because there's no proper sealing and you've got to refuel
>it and do it again.

BAH!! I fill mine up once and it lasts all week. And this from someone who uses lighters QUITE
frequently. You must be trying a knock off...if you even tried one at all....

>P.S. while I'm ranting, people who do Hollywoodesque tricks with Zippos think they're cool, but
> they're actually sad wankers.

I can do some, I might be a sad ******. But I ain't the one letting a lighter kick my ass am I?

Dave (Zippo's rule, the Good Doctors opinion not withstanding!)

Mark (UK) wrote:

> I'm going to Geneva next month, is crime a big problem there? Might have to be extra careful...

I think it's a bigger problem than you'd expect from such an affluent city. I'm basing my opinion on
the fact that I was robbed, and that most of the bars have warnings about pick pockets. Geneva has
quite a bad heroin problem, I believe.

I'd be extra careful about keeping your belongings close, whoever nicked my phone did so whilst I
was in the loo and my friend was sat right next to my jacket.

Just as an extra piece of advice, make sure you take plenty of cash with you - Geneva is not a cheap
place to go out in :)

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> SB's frightening new look reminded me of the eagle mascot he keeps on his helmet. One of the
> things I like about cycle commuting is the interesting objects that end up on the side of the
> road. In the past month I have recovered
>
> - an 8mm spanner.
>
> - a Cateye LED rear light (still flashing!!!)
>
> - a pair of pliers
>
> - one of those rubber boots for V brake cables
>
> - a pair of jockey wheels.
>
> What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
> trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......
>
> Andy Chequer

$5

A Cool Tool.

Some good pot.

Actually only the first item was next to the road. The other two were on the trail.

I lost my cell phone and later discovered someone in the same group found it (he was a little
disappointed to hear it was mine - my employer's actually).

Matt

>> What's the most interesting/useful thing that you've found lurking on the road (or indeed
>> trail)side? If your that kind of person, of course.......

walk any race course after the riders go home. Water bottles, pumps and multi tools. I haven't
bought a pack size pump or a water bottle in years.

( and gu wrappers and other trash...)

penny