OT: STOLEN...THE BICYCLE I'VE BEEN RIDING FOR 70 YEARS

Eric Vey

Guest
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-been-riding-for-70-years

KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
years ago when she was just 14.

But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the Raleigh
bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

Still trying to come to terms with the shock, she said: “I’ve had the
bike for so long and it has been everywhere with me.”

She added: “It’s only suitable for an old lady.”

The thief swooped when Olive left the cherished sports bike unlocked
outside a friend’s home last Friday afternoon.

It was the first time she has ever forgotten to lock it up since
receiving it as a gift on her 14th birthday in 1937.

Her older brother Derek paid the princely sum of four pounds 19
shillings and sixpence.

“That was a lot of money in those days, and I was delighted with it,”
said Olive.

She used the bike as a girl growing up in Suffolk, then took it with her
when she served as a Wren in Plymouth and Falmouth during the Second
World War.

After the war she moved to Gloucester in 1949 and used it to get to her
job in the Bon Marche department store, now called Debenhams.

She also fitted it with a small wicker basket and did her shopping by
bike after marrying Stan Gidazewski in 1950.

In recent times – almost 24 years since becoming eligible for a bus pass
– she kept herself fit and preserved her independence by still cycling
to her local sports centre for a swim, visiting family and friends or
attending church on Sundays.

Yesterday Olive, who has four grandchildren, said she was still shocked
by the theft in Seymour Road, Gloucester, between 3.30 and 4.30pm.

Almost in the hope that the bike might be returned to her, she added:
“It has white lettering around the back wheel.” In fact, friends have
given her another bike – but she is struggling to get used to the gears.

Yesterday her daughter Barbara Fenton, 53, said: “The bike will be
worthless to anyone else – and it will probably just be dumped.

“My mum has had it since she was 14 and it is of great sentimental value
to her. It is completely irreplaceable.

“She used it every day and it was vital to her independence.

“She was very upset when it was stolen because she has taken care of it
all these years.”

On Feb 28, 7:10 am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...
>
> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
> years ago when she was just 14.
>
> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the Raleigh
> bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
material for ads.

Oh yeah, and a pox on the scaly beast who stole her bike!
ABS

Dans le message de
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Feb 28, 7:10 am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...
>>
>> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
>> years ago when she was just 14.
>>
>> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the
>> Raleigh bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

> What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
> any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
> brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
> spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
> material for ads.

Why do I get the impression that, had Raleigh done exactly as you describe,
you would have been on the barricades assaulting their crass commercial
intrusion into a human landscape. I don't know why - it's just the
impression...

Eric Vey said:
[...]

I certainly sympathize. To lose anything you have used every day for so many years must be like losing an old friend.
It is heartening to see people in their 80s out riding their bikes though. I get lots of older folks in my shop because of the type of bikes I sell. I have sold several to people in their 70s and 80s, and I know they are out using them.
40 years ago, when I was in High school, one of my teachers, who retired the same year I graduated was a well recognized health nut. He was always out on his bike, and didn't give it up until he was 93. He is 101 now, and still around.
If I should be blessed to live so long, I hope to stay on my bike as long as I can balance it.
Dan

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/bikedetails.aspx?ID=5212

On Feb 28, 7:10*am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...
>
> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
> years ago when she was just 14.
>
> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the Raleigh
> bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
material for ads.

Oh yeah, and a pox on the scaly beast who stole her bike!
ABS
Well, give em a chance. The story only broke today. I would not be surprized to see it happen.

On Feb 28, 9:10 am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...
>
> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
> years ago when she was just 14.
>
> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the Raleigh
> bike she even used during the war as a Wren.
>
> Still trying to come to terms with the shock, she said: "I've had the
> bike for so long and it has been everywhere with me."
>
> She added: "It's only suitable for an old lady."
>
> The thief swooped when Olive left the cherished sports bike unlocked
> outside a friend's home last Friday afternoon.
>
> It was the first time she has ever forgotten to lock it up since
> receiving it as a gift on her 14th birthday in 1937.
>
> Her older brother Derek paid the princely sum of four pounds 19
> shillings and sixpence.
>
> "That was a lot of money in those days, and I was delighted with it,"
> said Olive.
>
> She used the bike as a girl growing up in Suffolk, then took it with her
> when she served as a Wren in Plymouth and Falmouth during the Second
> World War.
>
> After the war she moved to Gloucester in 1949 and used it to get to her
> job in the Bon Marche department store, now called Debenhams.
>
> She also fitted it with a small wicker basket and did her shopping by
> bike after marrying Stan Gidazewski in 1950.
>
> In recent times - almost 24 years since becoming eligible for a bus pass
> - she kept herself fit and preserved her independence by still cycling
> to her local sports centre for a swim, visiting family and friends or
> attending church on Sundays.
>
> Yesterday Olive, who has four grandchildren, said she was still shocked
> by the theft in Seymour Road, Gloucester, between 3.30 and 4.30pm.
>
> Almost in the hope that the bike might be returned to her, she added:
> "It has white lettering around the back wheel." In fact, friends have
> given her another bike - but she is struggling to get used to the gears.
>
> Yesterday her daughter Barbara Fenton, 53, said: "The bike will be
> worthless to anyone else - and it will probably just be dumped.
>
> "My mum has had it since she was 14 and it is of great sentimental value
> to her. It is completely irreplaceable.
>
> "She used it every day and it was vital to her independence.
>
> "She was very upset when it was stolen because she has taken care of it
> all these years."

The best she can do is to get another bike and
ride it for 70 years. That woman must be made
from steel. I must email that story to my father
who is 82 and recently decided to buy a bicycle.

landotter kirjoitti:
> On Feb 28, 9:32 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 7:10 am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...
>>> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
>>> years ago when she was just 14.
>>> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the Raleigh
>>> bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

>> What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
>> any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
>> brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
>> spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
>> material for ads.
>>

> http://www.raleigh.co.uk/bikedetails.aspx?ID=5212

Little has Raleigh learned. Contrary to most bikes like this, it looks
like it hasn´t a lock installed as a regular acessory. All the other
bells and whistles it has, though.

--
Heikki

"Heikki Kastemaa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> landotter kirjoitti:

>>> What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
>>> any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
>>> brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
>>> spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
>>> material for ads.
>>>

>> http://www.raleigh.co.uk/bikedetails.aspx?ID=5212

> Little has Raleigh learned. Contrary to most bikes like this, it looks
> like it hasn´t a lock installed as a regular acessory. All the other bells
> and whistles it has, though.
>
> --
> Heikki

Didn't Raleigh Superbes come with built-in steering lock on the fork crown?

On Feb 28, 1:15 pm, Heikki Kastemaa <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter kirjoitti:

> >> What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
> >> any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
> >> brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
> >> spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
> >> material for ads.

> >http://www.raleigh.co.uk/bikedetails.aspx?ID=5212

> Little has Raleigh learned. Contrary to most bikes like this, it looks
> like it hasn´t a lock installed as a regular acessory. All the other
> bells and whistles it has, though.

As somebody who had a wonderful Kroon stolen from the train station in
Gothenburg when using one of those locks, I say, "GOOD!". I hate
toting u-locks around, but I really like keeping my bike. Wheel lock
might be good for a village in Finland or something.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
> Didn't Raleigh Superbes come with built-in steering lock on the fork crown?

Yep, that's right, quite a nice bike overall with matching rear carrier
and Dynohub, especially in the Calypso Coffee color. You'll pay quite
bit to a locksmith to have a key made, once you find the right locksmith.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> [...]
> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ® wrote:
>> Didn't Raleigh Superbes come with built-in steering lock on the fork
>> crown?

> Yep, that's right, quite a nice bike overall with matching rear carrier
> and Dynohub, especially in the Calypso Coffee color. You'll pay quite
> bit to a locksmith to have a key made, once you find the right locksmith.

Can Bill do it?
<http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bill%27s+key+shop,+madison,+wi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.544155,59.765625&ie=UTF8&latlng=43073180,-89394670,14650595863121927215&ei=31zHR7PxBIaijgHYv-3SDg&cd=2>

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Can Bill do it?
> <http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bill%27s+key+shop,+madison,+wi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.544155,59.765625&ie=UTF8&latlng=43073180,-89394670,14650595863121927215&ei=31zHR7PxBIaijgHYv-3SDg&cd=2>

His name is Duke and, albeit aged with failing eyesight, yes still.
--

On Feb 28, 8:17 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:ce2456f1-8fee-4d94-9114-59b8e342c470@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com,
> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
> déclaré :> On Feb 28, 7:10 am, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/36359/Stolen-the-bicycle-I-ve-bee...

> >> KEEP-fit fan Olive Pollard loved to ride the bicycle she was given 70
> >> years ago when she was just 14.

> >> But last night the widow was heartbroken after a thief stole the
> >> Raleigh bike she even used during the war as a Wren.

> > What do marketing people go to college for?  If anyone at Raleigh had
> > any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
> > brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson.  I'll bet
> > spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
> > material for ads.

> Why do I get the impression that, had Raleigh done exactly as you describe,
> you would have been on the barricades assaulting their crass commercial
> intrusion into a human landscape.  I don't know why - it's just the
> impression...

Comrade Sandy,
Far from it! Actually, more of a romantic, witness:
A bike is just a bunch of metal and stuff until a person bonds with
it. Then it becomes much, much more. You know that. I know that.
Olive knows that.
What I'm decrying is marketing-types who DON'T know that. The
neighborhood bike store might be better at this, but are they making
money hand-over-fist?
More likely Raleigh could afford it, and they could coordinate with
the LBS.

*Sigh*, I am SO misunderstood.
Comrade ABS

Dans le message de
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Feb 28, 8:17 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dans le message
>> denews:ce2456f1-8fee-4d94-9114-59b8e342c470@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com,
>> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis

>>> What do marketing people go to college for? If anyone at Raleigh had
>>> any sense they'd see in an instant that they should offer Olive a
>>> brand new Raleigh bike and make Olive their spokesperson. I'll bet
>>> spending a few days with her with video they could get plenty of
>>> material for ads.

>> Why do I get the impression that, had Raleigh done exactly as you
>> describe,
>> you would have been on the barricades assaulting their crass
>> commercial
>> intrusion into a human landscape. I don't know why - it's just the
>> impression...

> Comrade Sandy,
> Far from it! Actually, more of a romantic, witness:
> A bike is just a bunch of metal and stuff until a person bonds with
> it. Then it becomes much, much more. You know that. I know that.
> Olive knows that.
> What I'm decrying is marketing-types who DON'T know that. The
> neighborhood bike store might be better at this, but are they making
> money hand-over-fist?
> More likely Raleigh could afford it, and they could coordinate with
> the LBS.
>
> *Sigh*, I am SO misunderstood.
> Comrade ABS

I suspect it wasn't very clear: I doubt your authenticity.

On Feb 29, 2:26 pm, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:b1f45dbd-1d14-45a9-aaf0-f99a00838212@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
> déclaré :
>

> > On Feb 28, 8:17 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Dans le message
> >> denews:ce2456f1-8fee-4d94-9114-59b8e342c470@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com,
> >> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis

> >> Why do I get the impression that, had Raleigh done exactly as you
> >> describe,
> >> you would have been on the barricades assaulting their crass
> >> commercial
> >> intrusion into a human landscape. I don't know why - it's just the
> >> impression...

> > Comrade Sandy,
> > Far from it!  Actually, more of a romantic, witness:
> > A bike is just a bunch of metal and stuff until a person bonds with
> > it.  Then it becomes much, much more. You know that. I know that.
> > Olive knows that.
> > What I'm decrying is marketing-types who DON'T know that.  The
> > neighborhood bike store might be better at this, but are they making
> > money hand-over-fist?
> > More likely Raleigh could afford it, and they could coordinate with
> > the LBS.

> > *Sigh*, I am SO misunderstood.
> > Comrade ABS

> I suspect it wasn't very clear: I doubt your authenticity.- Hide quoted text -

Oh for Gods sake, I'm not being clear?
I'm saying it's an obvious Win-Win.
Charming old lady, bike stolen, big company could make a big splash
giving her a new bike while telling the world how great their bikes
are.
One hand washes the other, you scratch mine I scratch yours etc etc.
Everybody wins.

OK? In the future I'll try not to confuse anyone by having too much
fun.
ABS

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:17:32 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
wrote:

>Oh for Gods sake, I'm not being clear?
>I'm saying it's an obvious Win-Win.
>Charming old lady, bike stolen, big company could make a big splash
>giving her a new bike while telling the world how great their bikes
>are.

Maybe someone will come around. Recently there was a story in the auto
world about a guy who drove his Saab 1,000,000 documented miles. He
contacted Saab and suggested that they should give him a new car. His
request was turned down - but a few weeks later, after some adverse
'net discussion, Saab (GM) management reversed themselves and gave him
a car. They also announced that anyone who drove a Saab 1M documented
miles would get a similar deal.

>One hand washes the other, you scratch mine I scratch yours etc etc.
>Everybody wins.
>
>OK? In the future I'll try not to confuse anyone by having too much
>fun.

Gotta be careful. Watch your step around here.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:54:39 GMT, still just me
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe someone will come around. Recently there was a story in the auto
>world about a guy who drove his Saab 1,000,000 documented miles.

Was that one of the early Saabs with two-stroke engines?