OT: Strida folding bike didn't work

Alan Weiss

Guest
Hi, folks, I know this is off topic, but I recently needed a folding bike to do some "intermodal"
travel (train & bike). I thought that a recumbent folder such as a SatRDay would not fold small
enough, and I didn't really want to buy such an expensive bike for short trips. So I ordered a
Strida http://www.strida.com This isn't such a cheap bike, but it costs less than a recumbent
folder. It's pretty, and can be rolled while folded (saving my ever-weakening back). So I thought
I'd give it a try.

Well, they are no longer sold by a US distributor, you order through a UK web site, and it's mailed
out from a guy in the US. But he doesn't help if there are problems. Which there were. My Strida
came without assembly instructions (but I could figure it out), without the fenders I paid for, and
with a bent piece of metal as part of the hub which looked in their pictures as if it should be
straight. But all of that was nothing compared to the real problem: every time I tried riding
uphill, the belt fell off! (The Strida uses a belt instead of a chain.) I simply could not get any
satisfaction by sending emails. No fenders, no instructions, no clue as to how to make the bike work
for me. After a few frustrating weeks I sent it back. Fortunately, they did refund all the charges
except shipping both ways.

As far as riding the bike on the level, it wasn't so good. The bike handles poorly. I felt very
unsafe going downhill at anything above 12 mph or so. Also, it did not make a compact package when
folded. On the plus side, it is indeed a very clean machine, and folds and unfolds quickly.

I am much happier with my new Dahon Piccolo. http://www.dahon.com/piccolo-us.htm The Piccolo handles
well, folds reasonably compactly and quickly, and has a backpack for use on trips where you don't
want the bike exposed. I've used it quite a bit this past week, and it only gets better as I get
used to it. But it sure isn't as comfortable as any recumbent!

Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

The Strida has no Fork Flop. It has enough trail, but the front wheel isn't loaded enough to make
the bike feel like a bike. I have one in my garage that handles pretty well.

Strida didn't pay the consulting fee.
--
Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

The Strida looks like a design concept that maybe shouldn't have gone any further than concept. IMHO
_Real_ folding bikes include the Brompton, Birdy and Dahon.

John Riley

Used to have a Strida (before it got stolen); quick fold,light weight, but not much good otherwise.
Not really suitable for anybody over
1.70m, belt drive, and worst of all : the freewheel's in the bottom bracket! Had a few spectacular
(if harmless) crashes with it: my pant legs would get caught in the belt,promptly blocking the
rear wheel, and the whole bike would just fall apart! It's easy enough to reassemble the lot, and
the bike is slow enough that a fall won't hurt you, but it still did put me off a bit... I'm
happily Bromptonized now, and for really short hops I've got a folding kickscooter. BTW: there's
one German fellow who keeps a kickscooter in the tailbox of his 'bent; makes sense considering the
state of German innercity cycle paths....

Mark van Gorkom.

Go retro. As a change from my two recumbents, I ride a 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder. It's
great fun. paul