OT: sudden heavy rain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In a matter of just 15 minutes, my yard (with really good drainage) started to flood from road
    run-off. http://tinyurl.com/fgmt

    Note the interesting effect of the frozen in time rain drops.

    Lost power for a few minutes, but nothing real bad, unless you count the number of time the fire
    trucks have gone out in just the past hour (1K' from fire station).
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > In a matter of just 15 minutes, my yard (with really good drainage) started to flood from road
    > run-off. http://tinyurl.com/fgmt

    Kewl photo....

    > Note the interesting effect of the frozen in time rain drops.

    Can't help feeling that they shouldn't be round...droplet shaped or somesuch thing....uh-oh, must be
    UFO's!! You've heard of rods, these are rounds!!

    > Lost power for a few minutes, but nothing real bad, unless you count the number of time the fire
    > trucks have gone out in just the past hour (1K' from fire station).
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    Dave.

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Note the interesting effect of the frozen in time rain drops.
    > >
    > Can't help feeling that they shouldn't be round...droplet shaped or somesuch thing....uh-oh, must
    > be UFO's!! You've heard of rods, these are rounds!!

    Surface tension holds them into a sphere.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Dave <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > Note the interesting effect of the frozen in time rain drops.
    > > >
    > > Can't help feeling that they shouldn't be round...droplet shaped or
    somesuch
    > > thing....uh-oh, must be UFO's!! You've heard of rods, these are rounds!!
    >
    > Surface tension holds them into a sphere.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    I thought whilst dropping they were droplet shaped, gravity and all that...?...never really
    checked 'em out frozen time before though, so there y'go, learn something new every day. Thanks
    Travis ;-) Dave.

  5. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Dave <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > > Can't help feeling that they shouldn't be round...droplet shaped or
    > somesuch
    > > > thing....uh-oh, must be UFO's!! You've heard of rods, these are rounds!!
    > >
    > > Surface tension holds them into a sphere.
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > I thought whilst dropping they were droplet shaped, gravity and all that...?...never really
    > checked 'em out frozen time before though, so
    there
    > y'go, learn something new every day. Thanks Travis ;-) Dave.

    Dave, Maine is closer to the North Pole where the excess gravity causes the rain to fall sideways in
    oval shapes. It's kind of like that toilet swirl thing between the hemispheres.

    If I read it on the internet is it true?

    --

    Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Dave <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > somesuch
    > > >
    > > > Surface tension holds them into a sphere.
    > > > --
    > > > ~Travis
    > > >
    > > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > > I thought whilst dropping they were droplet shaped, gravity and all that...?...never really
    > > checked 'em out frozen time before though, so
    > there
    > > y'go, learn something new every day. Thanks Travis ;-) Dave.
    > >

    > Dave, Maine is closer to the North Pole

    than ??...-somewhere further away??

    > where the excess gravity causes the rain to fall sideways in oval shapes.
    Oh, right.....

    > It's kind of like that toilet swirl thing between the hemispheres.
    You mean there's something between the hemispheres ??...what's that called then ?

    > If I read it on the internet is it true?
    Of course it is...just like anything else you read, anywhere.... ;-)

    > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    Dave

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Dave says:
    > >
    > > >I thought whilst dropping they were droplet shaped, gravity and all that...?..
    > >
    > > They are - what you are seeingin that piccie is the shape of the aperture
    > in
    > > Travis's camera, courtesy of relection of the flash from the raindrop.
    > You see
    > > the shape of the aperture, not the shape of the raindrop. ;-)
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Ha! I knew it!!, thanks Steve ;-) Dave.

    but Steve is wrong, see my reply to him, and note the website reference.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  8. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > Dave says:
    > >
    > > >I thought whilst dropping they were droplet shaped, gravity and all that...?..
    > >
    > > They are - what you are seeingin that piccie is the shape of the
    aperture in
    > > Travis's camera, courtesy of relection of the flash from the raindrop.
    You see
    > > the shape of the aperture, not the shape of the raindrop. ;-)
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Ahh, but you are wrong Mr. Baker. i refer you to
    > http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/history/lenard.htm 7th paragraph down.
    >
    > <quote> By suspending drops of known size, he determined that small drops up to about 2 mm (0.08
    > inches) in diameter "fell" as spheres. Larger drops, however, deformed while falling acquiring a
    > shape with a flat bottom and rounded top similar to that of a hamburger bun. </quote>
    > --
    > ~Travis

    I disagree. Mr. Baker is correct, IMHO. Most digital camera manuals refer to 'white marks' of some
    kind in the flash photography section. I've even read about white squares in some forums. I've also
    included a link to one of my pictures that had the same problem. While not as pronounced as in your
    photo, the same effect is obvious. However, there was no rain. Just a dripping wet, mossy bank.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/18381316
    --
    Westie ;-)