OT: Sudoku Question (newbie)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by BabyJane Hudson, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    Thanks,
    Jane Hudson

    Tags:

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jane Hudson

    Was that fish or chicken Sudoku?

  3. "BabyJane Hudson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    Probably the best place to ask about this is in a group called rec.puzzles.
    I would guess whoever your internet prover is carries that group. If not,
    google groups carries that newsgroup.
    > Thanks,
    > Jane Hudson

  4. Default User

    Default User Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    Start with a basic scan using doubles to try to give a few quick ones
    off the start. Then work where you have the most stuff filled in.

    For those who like to play, there's a fairly good website:

    http://sudoku.com.au/

    It has a pretty good app for playing online, they have daily puzzles of
    various levels, plus an archive. I can do the "hard" always, usually
    the "tough" ones as well. There's a message forum for each puzzle where
    people share tips and solutions.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  5. BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    >Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    >in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    >solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    >have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    >Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    >right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jane Hudson

    Oh my dear, if only it were that simple! You have to jump all over the
    place like a drunken grasshopper. It's a form of meditation - just sit
    back and let your mind do the work on automatic pilot, like with the
    cryptic crossword.

    Are you really sure you want to do this? If so, have a look at this, and
    then reconsider before it's too late!

    http://www.sudoku.org.uk/

    Christine

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:59:47 -0500, BabyJane Hudson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    >in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    >solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    >have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    >Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    >right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    Use an Ouija board. Works every time for me. Must be my Ora.

    -sw

  7. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "BabyJane Hudson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    My husband is a Sudoku junkie and has mastered the basic levels of the game.
    He has some great tips, which he's passed on to other family members. I
    should have him post them here.

    I've never tried the game, as I know I'd be hopelessly hooked if I did. I am
    addicted to Bejeweled 2 (on http://www.shockwave.com), though...

    Mary

  8. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    <[email protected]> connected the dots and wrote:

    ~Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle
    and
    ~in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    ~solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    ~have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    ~Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    ~right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?
    ~
    ~Thanks,
    ~Jane Hudson

    Look around for the easy ones (two digits and the third cube in the
    row has only one open box in the empty row), then keep looking for
    those. When they're gone, find boxes that could only be 2 possbile
    digits, then keep solving.

    Sometimes I'll guess, but that's not logic.

    maxine in ri

  9. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:12:26 GMT, "MareCat"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"BabyJane Hudson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    >> in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    >> solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    >> have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    >> Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    >> right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    >My husband is a Sudoku junkie and has mastered the basic levels of the game.
    >He has some great tips, which he's passed on to other family members. I
    >should have him post them here.
    >

    >Mary

    Mary,
    Please have him post his tips here so that others can benefit from
    his knowledge. It will be appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Babyjane Hudson

  10. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > Mary,
    > Please have him post his tips here so that others can benefit from
    > his knowledge. It will be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Babyjane Hudson

    Wouldn't a GAME message board be more appropriate? Why clog up a food
    board with this shit?

  11. Default User

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:12:26 GMT, "MareCat"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > My husband is a Sudoku junkie and has mastered the basic levels of
    > > the game. He has some great tips, which he's passed on to other
    > > family members. I should have him post them here.
    > >

    > > Mary

    > Mary,
    > Please have him post his tips here so that others can benefit from
    > his knowledge. It will be appreciated!

    The biggest tip, besides the preliminary hunting for easy ones, is the
    power of pairs. If you have written down the possibles (most people
    write them tiny in pencil in the square) and you have a pair in a
    block, row, or column, then you use that pair to eliminate those
    numbers from the containing entity.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  12. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    BabyJane Hudson wrote:

    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    You can do them online at this LA Times site:

    http://games.latimes.com/

  13. Default User

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    >
    > > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle

    > You can do them online at this LA Times site:
    >
    > http://games.latimes.com/

    I like this one:

    http://sudoku.com.au

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  14. On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:27:22 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >BabyJane Hudson wrote:
    >
    >> Mary,
    >> Please have him post his tips here so that others can benefit from
    >> his knowledge. It will be appreciated!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Babyjane Hudson

    >Wouldn't a GAME message board be more appropriate? Why clog up a food
    >board with this shit?

    If you weren't interested, why would you read a post that was clearly
    marked OT?

    Your idiotic comment helping in "clogging" this NG, and to me, is, how
    do you say, SHIT.

    Babjane Hudson

  15. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    BabyJane Hudson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tomorrow, our city paper will begin carrying a daily Sudoku puzzle and
    > in today's paper had an article about it with a sample puzzle and
    > solution next to it. I understand the basics, but to those of you who
    > have mastered this game, what are some pointers in solving a puzzle?
    > Should I work the left column from top to bottom, or top from left to
    > right, or just the first top left 1x1 square?

    I am a fan of Sudoku, but I wouldn't say I am a junky at it. Just plug
    "Sudoku" into Google and you'll find tons of info on it as well as some
    online games. I play a version that I downloaded from Gameshouse.com and
    its really good! The version I play comes with all the hints I need
    right in the help section.