OT: Sun block recommendations ?

Mike Buckler

Guest
So far I've tried:

UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream

The gel types use alcohol as a solvent, are easy to apply and claim sweat resistance, but
leave a "painted with varnish look". The Banana Boat Ultra 15+ is OK as long as you keep it
well away from your eyes! I cannot find the Johnson & Johnson one any more, so I'm currently
using the UV Triplegard lotion which is OK, but is a typical oil/water based emulsion which
leaves a greasy residue.

Any other recommendations ? What do the professional road cyclists use, or do they just get sun
burnt every day ?

Mike

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:

> Any other recommendations ?

I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's not
that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and then I
*always* wipe it in my eyes.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

"Mike Buckler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So far I've tried:
>
> UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
> Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
> Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream
>
> The gel types use alcohol as a solvent, are easy to apply and claim sweat resistance, but leave a
> "painted with varnish look". The Banana Boat Ultra
15+
> is OK as long as you keep it well away from your eyes! I cannot find the Johnson & Johnson one any
> more, so I'm currently using
the UV
> Triplegard lotion which is OK, but is a typical oil/water based emulsion
which
> leaves a greasy residue.
>
> Any other recommendations ? What do the professional road cyclists use, or
do
> they just get sun burnt every day ?
>
> Mike

Not sure what the professionals use. Choice Magazine did a review recently. Here's a link.
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104024&catId=100395&tid=100008& p=1

Skin Cancers not very good either.......

I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never applied sunscreen till this year
& Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.

"kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
>
> > Any other recommendations ?
>
> I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
> your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's not
> that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and then I
> *always* wipe it in my eyes.
>
> -kt
>
> --
> Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
> Tales: The good, bad, and down-right
ugly

I use SPF15 reef oil, or nutrimetics SPF15...

neither get too greasy if you dont apply too much....

"dipper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Skin Cancers not very good either.......
>
> I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never
applied
> sunscreen till this year & Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.
>

> "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
> >
> > > Any other recommendations ?
> >
> > I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
> > your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's
> > not that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and
> > then I *always* wipe it in my eyes.
> >
> > -kt
> >
> > --
> > Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
> > Tales: The good, bad, and
down-right
> ugly

talking to someone last night at track suncream does block pores thus preventing u from sweating &
therefore overheating........solution wear a long sleeve summer top...

dip

"dipper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Skin Cancers not very good either.......
>
> I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never
applied
> sunscreen till this year & Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.
>

> "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
> >
> > > Any other recommendations ?
> >
> > I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
> > your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's
> > not that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and
> > then I *always* wipe it in my eyes.
> >
> > -kt
> >
> > --
> > Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
> > Tales: The good, bad, and
down-right

<[email protected]> wrote:

>So far I've tried:
>
>UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
>Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
>Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream

I use just the cheapo SPF30+ from Coles on my arms and legs - auScreen in a blue bottle.

For my face I like the new sunscreen for sensitive skin from BareZone - it is a pure physical
sunscreen with no chemical sunscreens. It is white and thick but rubs in really well and work great.

davidp.

--
David Pascoe, [email protected], Western Australia

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:42:24 +0800, David Pascoe wrote:
> For my face I like the new sunscreen for sensitive skin from BareZone - it is a pure
> physical sunscreen with no chemical sunscreens. It is white and thick but rubs in really
> well and work great.

So is it thick like zinc (zink?) cream ?

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30 sun
drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This is
from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.

To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia. 39
degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that prevents
sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.

A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all sunscreens
have that by now.

On 20 Dec 2003 09:05:19 -0800, [email protected] (Neal G) wrote:

>Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30
>sun drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This
>is from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.
>
> To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia.
> 39 degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that
> prevents sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.
>
> A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all sunscreens
> have that by now.

SPF15+ = *MIN* 14/15 drop (could be 28/29) SPF30+ is always that much better

Steve

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:32:27 GMT, Steve M
<menheere@swiftdsldotcomdotau> wrote:

>On 20 Dec 2003 09:05:19 -0800, [email protected] (Neal G) wrote:
>
>>Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30
>>sun drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This
>>is from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.
>>
>> To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia.
>> 39 degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that
>> prevents sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.
>>
>> A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all
>> sunscreens have that by now.
>
>SPF15+ = *MIN* 14/15 drop (could be 28/29) SPF30+ is always that much better
should be SPF30+ is NOT always that much better
>Steve

Originally posted by Dipper
talking to someone last night at track suncream does block pores thus preventing u from sweating &
therefore overheating........solution wear a long sleeve summer top...

dip

sod being fashionable, where possible keep yourself covered. A couple of long-sleeved shirts are perfect for me & 15spf+ sunscreen on the legs/face. Already have had biopsies performed on several suspective freckles. I sooner prefer cycling in non-trendy clothing rather than having to deal with the long-term problems due to not avoiding skin damage.