OT suv's

Peter. I live in the woods somewhere between Columbia, South Carolina
and Charlotte North Carolina. Big pick-ups with big tires and duallies
are NOT a new thing here.

In fact ours usually come equipped with ATV's and gun racks. Stock!
:-3D>

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Stephen Harding wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Face it - a great proportion of pickups, like SUVs, are bought as
>>> fashion items. An example would be the one belonging to the student
>>> that gave me a ride home, with immaculate plush upholstery, a custom
>>> paint job, a stereo system that would blow me out of my living room,
>>> chrome wheels, etc. etc.

>> A work truck can also be a personal truck. It's usually only
>> farm trucks that are stripped down. Other work trucks that
>> I see around here have all the bells and whistles.
>>
>>> If you see a pickup with chromed wheels, it's not a work truck.

>> I don't think that is a determining factor so much any more.
>>
>> I'd say the "non-work truck" truck is most likely a half ton.
>> Any 3/4 or 1 ton is likely dedicated to work or more serious
>> hauling.
>>
>> Half ton trucks have been gentrified for the type of user
>> you are critiquing.

> Around here I see 1 ton dually pickups lowered to the point they have
> less ground clearance than my Honda Civic, with 20+-inch chrome
> "spinner" rims and low profile street tread tires. No way such a truck
> could carry a real load or make it across a normal construction site.

Do you see many of these 1 tons lowered?

Around here it's rare to see *any* truck lowered. Lifted
yes, but lowered, no.

>> I don't think you understand the full implications of "hauling".
>>
>> Just because you can haul 10,000 pounds in your little Honda
>> Civic doesn't mean you should!
>>
>> With the joys of gearing, small engines at high rpms in low
>> gears can indeed pull very heavy things.
>>
>> Such vehicles don't stop very well, nor last very long and
>> the drivers that do such things using their utility trailers
>> deserve the tickets they get when/if they get caught out in
>> public with such hauling equipment.

> My experience is that a Ford F-350 with ~2500 pounds in the bed hauling
> an ~6000 pound trailer does not stop well. Nor does a Ford F-550 loaded
> up to about 21,000 pounds.

Try it with a Honda Civic and compare!

SMH

Stephen Harding wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Stephen Harding wrote:

>>> A work truck can also be a personal truck. It's usually only
>>> farm trucks that are stripped down. Other work trucks that
>>> I see around here have all the bells and whistles.

>>> I don't think that is a determining factor so much any more.
>>>
>>> I'd say the "non-work truck" truck is most likely a half ton.
>>> Any 3/4 or 1 ton is likely dedicated to work or more serious
>>> hauling.
>>>
>>> Half ton trucks have been gentrified for the type of user
>>> you are critiquing.

>> Around here I see 1 ton dually pickups lowered to the point they have
>> less ground clearance than my Honda Civic, with 20+-inch chrome
>> "spinner" rims and low profile street tread tires. No way such a truck
>> could carry a real load or make it across a normal construction site.

> Do you see many of these 1 tons lowered?
>
> Around here it's rare to see *any* truck lowered. Lifted
> yes, but lowered, no.

I see a low of lowered pickups, but then I drive a lot in "da 'hood".

>>> I don't think you understand the full implications of "hauling".
>>>
>>> Just because you can haul 10,000 pounds in your little Honda
>>> Civic doesn't mean you should!
>>>
>>> With the joys of gearing, small engines at high rpms in low
>>> gears can indeed pull very heavy things.
>>>
>>> Such vehicles don't stop very well, nor last very long and
>>> the drivers that do such things using their utility trailers
>>> deserve the tickets they get when/if they get caught out in
>>> public with such hauling equipment.

>> My experience is that a Ford F-350 with ~2500 pounds in the bed
>> hauling an ~6000 pound trailer does not stop well. Nor does a Ford
>> F-550 loaded up to about 21,000 pounds.

> Try it with a Honda Civic and compare!

I would not want to pull a trailer over about 800 pounds on any type of
regular basis, and less than 500 pounds in the mountains with my Civic.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Jan 13, 1:18 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I would not want to pull a trailer over about 800 pounds on any type of
> regular basis, and less than 500 pounds in the mountains with my Civic.

In 1986, we bought a used, tiny lightweight pop-up tent trailer.
Sticker weight was 750 pounds (a 1980 - I think - Palomino Shetland).
Using our 1985 Civic Wagon, we towed it from Ohio through Rocky
Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, San
Francisco, Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc etc. In following years, we
took it to Maine, to Georgia, etc.

Yes, it was a bit slow on hills, but no worse than other big, heavy
camper rigs. Otherwise, it handled very, very well. It was a
complete success.

I don't believe it had any serious affect on the car's longevity. I
did have to put new oil control rings in at about 110,000 miles, but I
don't see that those rings would be affected by engine load.
Compression was still perfect, BTW.

Unfortunately, a red-light-runner hit the car and totaled it about a
year after the new rings were installed. :-(

- Frank Krygowski

> Peter. I live in the woods somewhere between Columbia, South Carolina
> and Charlotte North Carolina. Big pick-ups with big tires and duallies

chris
i lived for years in the outback of Montana--believe me I know about 4 wheel
drives , pickups and gun racks etc.

it's when you see them in the streets of new york that you sort of feel bad
for our granchildren.

peter

ilaboo aka Peter Lener wrote:
>> Peter. I live in the woods somewhere between Columbia, South Carolina
>> and Charlotte North Carolina. Big pick-ups with big tires and duallies

> chris
> i lived for years in the outback of Montana--believe me I know about 4 wheel
> drives , pickups and gun racks etc....

Mr. Lener should then be aware than only one-ton and commercial duty
pickups have dual rear wheels.