OT Test of newsreaders

Dave Fawthrop

Guest
Would people please click on the link below and
report what they get and the
newsreader they are using.
Please do not try very hard to solve problems.

[email protected]

--
Dave F

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

I'm using Agent, and when I click on it it asks me whether it's an
email address or a message ID.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

Clicking the above in Agent brings up a new email to what it sees as
an email addy.

Going to Google Groups Advanced Search and putting it in the message
ID box brings up Richard Webb's "Happy Birthday..." post of November
6th with a link to the Scotsman article "Kinloss rescue team marks 60
years of heroism."

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> Would people please click on the link below and
> report what they get and the
> newsreader they are using.
> Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
> [email protected]

I've just started using a Windows newsreader called Dialog. On this program
you have to double click in order to open a link. It thinks that the url is
an email address so it opens up a blank Thunderbird message addressed to
that email address.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:

Dave Fawthrop <[email protected]> writes:

> Would people please click on the link below and
> report what they get

A Happy Birthday post containing a link to Scotsman article.

gnus 5.10.6

--
Giles

Peewiglet wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Would people please click on the link below and
>>report what they get and the
>>newsreader they are using.
>>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>>
>>[email protected]

> I'm using Agent, and when I click on it it asks me whether it's an
> email address or a message ID.

Ditto Knode 0.8.1 (KDE 3.3.1) on Linux.
--
Dave

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> Would people please click on the link below and
> report what they get and the
> newsreader they are using.
> Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
> [email protected]

I am using Netscape and I get a reply email form back to the above address.

Katherine

Following up to Dave Fawthrop

>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

my agent asks me if its a message id or an email address and 4
options for the next time it happens.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

It's best not to rely on the unpredictable nature of newsreaders. If you
want to put proper links in posts, use mailto: or news: as appropriate.

--
Oh yea? If you're so smart, why don't I understand you?

Mail john rather than nospam...

In article <[email protected]>, John Laird
<URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Would people please click on the link below and
> >report what they get and the
> >newsreader they are using.
> >Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
> >
> >[email protected]

> It's best not to rely on the unpredictable nature of newsreaders. If you
> want to put proper links in posts, use mailto: or news: as appropriate.

There is a recognised syntax for correctly indicating a URL

see <URL:http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html>

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:51:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
> Would people please click on the link below and
> report what they get and the
> newsreader they are using.
> Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
> [email protected]

Slrn on Linux. Mouse? Click? That does not compute.

Aaah, the joy of text-based newsreaders!

--
Trevor Barton

> Would people please click on the link below and
> report what they get and the
> newsreader they are using.
> Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
> [email protected]

Using Outlook Express, it opens the email prog to send an email to that
address.

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement'

In message <[email protected]>, Dave Fawthrop
<[email protected]> writes
>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

Using Turnpike there's nothing to click on. The link just appears as a
line of text.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would people please click on the link below and
>report what they get and the
>newsreader they are using.
>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>
>[email protected]

Agent takes me to the post of 6 November headed 'Happy Birthday' by R
J Webb.

Clicking on the URL in that message launches the appropriate page in
Firefox (ie, my web browser).

Peter.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:52:48 +0000, Chris Townsend wrote <snip>

> Using Turnpike there's nothing to click on. The link just appears as a
> line of text.

Ditto my Pan (0.14.2.91)

saki

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:39:47 +0000, The Reids
<[email protected]> wrote:

>my agent asks me if its a message id or an email address and 4
>options for the next time it happens.

That explains why it opens the Happy Birthday message for me in Agent,
presumably I set my preference last time this happened, whenever that
was.

--
York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

Chris Townsend <[email protected]> writes
>In message <[email protected]>, Dave Fawthrop
><[email protected]> writes
>>Would people please click on the link below and
>>report what they get and the
>>newsreader they are using.
>>Please do not try very hard to solve problems.
>>
>>[email protected]
>>

>Using Turnpike there's nothing to click on. The link just appears as a
>line of text.

Using Turnpike, highlighting the link, extracting and launching the URL
opens an email addressed to the address. I can't account for Chris's
result. :)
--
Gordon Harris