OT: The cat from hell

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Well, considering my new kitten is supposed to have FIP, he has turned from
    the sweet, loving little puss to the terror from hell. Having done
    exhaustive recearch on FIP and gotten 2 additional opinions, I am still not
    convinced he has it. He had a cold when we got him and the mild antibiotic
    did nothing for him. More research and I made the vet put him on Zithromax
    in a kitty dose. OMG... sneezing and coughing are gone and my guess is;
    his temperature has gone down. Methinks this bacterial infection is what
    is causing his symptoms for FIP (I'm hoping and hoping). I walked into the
    den last night with a big bowl of popcorn. He was sitting on top of the
    drapes on the rod staring down at me looking very pleased with himself. He
    flies around so fast he's like a bat.

    ObFood:

    Ground some chuck this morning for grilled burgers. I'll grill them and
    use blue cheese to top them with. I'm caramelizing some onions in the
    crock pot and if I can find some decent portobello mushrooms today I'll
    slather them with olive oil, S&P and grill them also. I'm going to try to
    make some jicama french fries also. I'm dubious about those but I'm gonna
    give it a shot. From fresh-network.com

    Jicama Un-fries
    by Cherie Soria, inspired by Victoria Boutenko
    Serves: 6

    • 2 jicama, peeled
    • 2 tablespoons solar-dried sea salt
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 teaspoon Celtic salt

    1. Slice the peeled jicama lengthwise to resemble French fries.

    2. Toss with salt and allow to sit for 1 hour to soften.

    3. Rinse well and pat dry using a clean dishtowel.

    4. Sprinkle paprika and Celtic salt on Un-fries and serve with Real Tomato
    Ketchup.

    NOTE: If desired, you may warm Un-fries in a food dehydrator for 1 - 3
    hours prior to serving.

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

    Tags:

  2. abracadabra

    abracadabra Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well, considering my new kitten is supposed to have FIP, he has turned
    > from
    > the sweet, loving little puss to the terror from hell. Having done
    > exhaustive recearch on FIP and gotten 2 additional opinions, I am still
    > not
    > convinced he has it. He had a cold when we got him and the mild
    > antibiotic
    > did nothing for him. More research and I made the vet put him on
    > Zithromax
    > in a kitty dose. OMG... sneezing and coughing are gone and my guess is;
    > his temperature has gone down. Methinks this bacterial infection is what
    > is causing his symptoms for FIP (I'm hoping and hoping). I walked into
    > the
    > den last night with a big bowl of popcorn. He was sitting on top of the
    > drapes on the rod staring down at me looking very pleased with himself.
    > He
    > flies around so fast he's like a bat.

    That's kittens for you - I always advise to get TWO kittens at once - they
    can entertain eachother when you don't have time to play. It's real cute
    when they play-fight and fall asleep in each other's arms.

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jicama Un-fries
    > by Cherie Soria, inspired by Victoria Boutenko
    > Serves: 6
    >
    > . 2 jicama, peeled
    > . 2 tablespoons solar-dried sea salt
    > . 1 teaspoon paprika
    > . 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
    >
    > 1. Slice the peeled jicama lengthwise to resemble French fries.
    >
    > 2. Toss with salt and allow to sit for 1 hour to soften.
    >
    > 3. Rinse well and pat dry using a clean dishtowel.
    >
    > 4. Sprinkle paprika and Celtic salt on Un-fries and serve with Real Tomato
    > Ketchup.
    >
    > NOTE: If desired, you may warm Un-fries in a food dehydrator for 1 - 3
    > hours prior to serving.

    How did the unfries turn out? And what is celtic salt -- is it a particular
    kind of salt, or a seasoning blend?

  4. alsandor

    alsandor Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan a écrit :

    > Well, considering my new kitten is supposed to have FIP, he has turned from
    > the sweet, loving little puss to the terror from hell. Having done
    > exhaustive recearch on FIP and gotten 2 additional opinions, I am still not
    > convinced he has it. He had a cold when we got him and the mild antibiotic
    > did nothing for him. More research and I made the vet put him on Zithromax
    > in a kitty dose. OMG... sneezing and coughing are gone and my guess is;
    > his temperature has gone down. Methinks this bacterial infection is what
    > is causing his symptoms for FIP (I'm hoping and hoping). I walked into the
    > den last night with a big bowl of popcorn. He was sitting on top of the
    > drapes on the rod staring down at me looking very pleased with himself. He
    > flies around so fast he's like a bat.

    It would seem the odds are on your side as FIP is very difficult to
    detect and the only sure diagnosis can be done following an autopsy.

    http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cefip.html

  5. "Chris" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Jicama Un-fries
    >> by Cherie Soria, inspired by Victoria Boutenko
    >> Serves: 6
    >>
    >> . 2 jicama, peeled
    >> . 2 tablespoons solar-dried sea salt
    >> . 1 teaspoon paprika
    >> . 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
    >>
    >> 1. Slice the peeled jicama lengthwise to resemble French fries.
    >>
    >> 2. Toss with salt and allow to sit for 1 hour to soften.
    >>
    >> 3. Rinse well and pat dry using a clean dishtowel.
    >>
    >> 4. Sprinkle paprika and Celtic salt on Un-fries and serve with Real
    >> Tomato Ketchup.
    >>
    >> NOTE: If desired, you may warm Un-fries in a food dehydrator for 1 -
    >> 3 hours prior to serving.
    >>

    > How did the unfries turn out? And what is celtic salt -- is it a
    > particular kind of salt, or a seasoning blend?

    It's a sea salt rich in minerals. I used Maine sea salt which I have a
    stash of. I think just about any coarse salt, including Kosher salt, would
    be fine. The Un-fries were pretty good. Different but tasty and not
    great. I love jicama in salads. I'm trying to decide on how to adjust the
    recipe to my own taste and will peruse the Penzey's spices I have on hand.
    I think plain old seasoned salt might do the trick also.

    Michael