OT - The Fahrenheit Temerature Scale

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon At The Th, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within this
    document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".

    Enjoy..

    50 Degrees Southerners turn on their central heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

    40 Degrees Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe.

    35 Degrees Southerners cars won't start. People in Newcastle drive with their windows down.

    20 Degrees Southerners wear coats, gloves and woolly hats. People in Newcastle put on a t-shirt and
    girls wear mini skirts.

    15 Degrees Southerners begin to evacuate. People in Newcastle swim in the North Sea.

    Degrees Southern Landlords turn up the heating. People in Newcastle have a last Barbeque before it
    gets cold.

    -10 Degrees Southerners cease to exist. people in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.

    -80 Degrees Polar Bears wonder if it's worth it. Boy scouts in Newcastle start wearing
    long trousers.

    -100 Degrees Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Newcastle put on their long-johns.

    -173 Degrees Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle complain because the pubs are shut.

    -297 Degrees Microbial life starts to disappear. Cows on the Town Moor complain of vets with
    cold hands.

    -460 Degrees All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on
    their hands.

    -500 Degrees Hell freezes over; and Sunderland qualify for Europe!!

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Simon at the Threshold wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within
    > this document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".
    >
    > Enjoy..
    >
    > 50 Degrees Southerners turn on their central heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

    another version exists for Canada and Florida. Is this recycled humor day?

    penny

  3. Kronos

    Kronos Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Simon at the Threshold
    <[email protected]> reckoned:

    >Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within
    >this document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".

    You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in Canada.
    I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school in Ontario
    with snow up to my waist.

    --
    Not For Email

  4. Kronos wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Simon at the Threshold <[email protected]>
    > reckoned:
    >

    >>Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within
    >>this document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".
    >

    > You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in Canada.
    > I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school in
    > Ontario with snow up to my waist.
    >
    > --
    > Not For Email

    Uphill. Both ways. Naked.

    Jon "Dang Whippersnappers!" Bond

  5. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kronos wrote:

    > You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in Canada.
    > I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school in
    > Ontario with snow up to my waist.

    I remember doing that when I was a kid, and there was actual snow during the winter. We're in the
    middle of a semi-drought right now, so we don't get as much as we used to. We still get a couple
    days down past -30C though. No -40Cs this year. It was warm. :)

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  6. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Kronos wrote:
    > You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in Canada.
    > I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school in
    > Ontario with snow up to my waist.

    That were nothin when I were a lad we used to live in a cardboard box in middle-t road. We had to
    get up 10 hours before we got up, travel to work on our hands and knees, pay mill owner for
    privledge of working there and when we got home our dad would kill us with his bare hands.

    You tell young folk that today and they won't believe a word of it..

    <Chuckle>

    Gyp.

    P.S. I remember getting 2 weeks extra off school every year because the it would get snowed in..
    <Smile> Course that was before global warming...blah blah..

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Gyp wrote:
    > Kronos wrote:
    >> You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in
    >> Canada. I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school
    >> in Ontario with snow up to my waist.
    >
    > That were nothin when I were a lad we used to live in a cardboard box in middle-t road. We had to
    > get up 10 hours before we got up, travel to work on our hands and knees, pay mill owner for
    > privledge of working there and when we got home our dad would kill us with his bare hands.
    >
    > You tell young folk that today and they won't believe a word of it..

    I spent two winters in Wyoming... -30(f) for a month at a time. Does that count for anything?

    penny

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Gyp wrote:

    >> You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in
    >> Canada. I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school
    >> in Ontario with snow up to my waist.
    >

    > That were nothin when I were a lad we used to live in a cardboard box in middle-t road. We had to
    > get up 10 hours before we got up, travel to work on our hands and knees, pay mill owner for
    > privledge of working there and when we got home our dad would kill us with his bare hands.
    >
    > You tell young folk that today and they won't believe a word of it..

    Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed,
    drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work 29 hours a day down t'mill, and pay mill owner for permission to
    come to work, and when we got home, our dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our
    graves singing hallelujah.

  9. David L

    David L Guest

    "Simon at the Threshold" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within
    > this document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".
    >
    > Enjoy..
    >
    > 50 Degrees Southerners turn on their central heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.
    >
    > 40 Degrees Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe.
    >
    > 35 Degrees Southerners cars won't start. People in Newcastle drive with their windows down.
    >
    > 20 Degrees Southerners wear coats, gloves and woolly hats. People in Newcastle put on a t-shirt
    > and girls wear mini skirts.
    >
    > 15 Degrees Southerners begin to evacuate. People in Newcastle swim in the North Sea.
    >
    > Degrees Southern Landlords turn up the heating. People in Newcastle have a last Barbeque before
    > it gets cold.
    >
    > -10 Degrees Southerners cease to exist. people in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.
    >
    > -80 Degrees Polar Bears wonder if it's worth it. Boy scouts in Newcastle start wearing long
    > trousers.
    >
    > -100 Degrees Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Newcastle put on their long-johns.
    >
    > -173 Degrees Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle complain because the pubs are shut.
    >
    > -297 Degrees Microbial life starts to disappear. Cows on the Town Moor complain of vets with
    > cold hands.
    >
    > -460 Degrees All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on
    > their hands.
    >
    > -500 Degrees Hell freezes over; and Sunderland qualify for Europe!!

    I tired to commute to school as often as possible. The coldest day I went was at 7:00 AM,
    temperature of -33C, wind-chill of -41C.

    Canada

    Dave

  10. Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Jon Bond says:
    >

    >>Uphill. Both ways. Naked.
    >

    > Carrying my desk.....
    >
    > Next!
    >
    > Steve

    Without using my hands.

    Jon Bond

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stephen Baker wrote:
    > > Jon Bond says:
    > >

    > >>Uphill. Both ways. Naked.
    > >

    > > Carrying my desk.....
    > >
    > > Next!
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Without using my hands.

    Followed by a Barium enema.

    Bill "anyone can bleed on the OUTSIDE" S.

  12. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Stephen Baker wrote:
    > > > Jon Bond says:

    > > > Carrying my desk.....
    > > >
    > > > Next!
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > >
    > > Without using my hands.
    >
    > Followed by a Barium enema.
    >
    > Bill "anyone can bleed on the OUTSIDE" S.

    Barbed wire on my feet for traction

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:
    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...

    >>> Without using my hands.
    >>
    >> Followed by a Barium enema.
    >>
    >> Bill "anyone can bleed on the OUTSIDE" S.
    >>

    > Barbed wire on my feet for traction

    not having eaten for three days

  14. Penny S. wrote:
    > Cinder Girl wrote:
    >
    >>"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>Followed by a Barium enema.
    >>>
    >>>Bill "anyone can bleed on the OUTSIDE" S.
    >>>

    >>Barbed wire on my feet for traction
    >

    > not having eaten for three days

    Arms full of books, and still had to somehow get those drumsticks to school...

    Jon Bond

  15. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kronos wrote:
    > > You northerners like to think you're tough, but obviously you have never spent a winter in
    > > Canada. I'm a transplanted Brit southerner living in Canada and have walked five miles to school
    > > in Ontario with snow up to my waist.
    >
    > That were nothin when I were a lad we used to live in a cardboard box in middle-t road. We had to
    > get up 10 hours before we got up, travel to work on our hands and knees, pay mill owner for
    > privledge of working there and when we got home our dad would kill us with his bare hands.
    >
    > You tell young folk that today and they won't believe a word of it..
    >
    > <Chuckle>
    >
    > Gyp.
    >
    > P.S. I remember getting 2 weeks extra off school every year because the it would get snowed in..
    > <Smile> Course that was before global warming...blah blah..

    Seriously. In my family history there is a story about my great grandfather going into town to buy
    supplies for their farm in Canada. He couldn't afford the nickel for the ferry so he swam. Kinda
    makes me think how spoiled I am when I want to cry over not having the proper coffee in the morning.

    ~CG

  16. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "Simon at the Threshold" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't understand the English references contained within
    > this document. Or as we like to say in the north "Tough!".
    >
    > Enjoy..
    >
    > 50 Degrees Southerners turn on their central heating. People in Newcastle plant their gardens.
    >
    > 40 Degrees Southerners shiver uncontrollably. People in Newcastle sunbathe.
    >
    > 35 Degrees Southerners cars won't start. People in Newcastle drive with their windows down.
    >
    > 20 Degrees Southerners wear coats, gloves and woolly hats. People in Newcastle put on a t-shirt
    > and girls wear mini skirts.
    >
    > 15 Degrees Southerners begin to evacuate. People in Newcastle swim in the North Sea.
    >
    > Degrees Southern Landlords turn up the heating. People in Newcastle have a last Barbeque before
    > it gets cold.
    >
    > -10 Degrees Southerners cease to exist. people in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.
    >
    > -80 Degrees Polar Bears wonder if it's worth it. Boy scouts in Newcastle start wearing long
    > trousers.
    >
    > -100 Degrees Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Newcastle put on their long-johns.
    >
    > -173 Degrees Alcohol freezes. People in Newcastle complain because the pubs are shut.
    >
    > -297 Degrees Microbial life starts to disappear. Cows on the Town Moor complain of vets with
    > cold hands.
    >
    > -460 Degrees All atomic motion stops. People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on
    > their hands.
    >
    > -500 Degrees Hell freezes over; and Sunderland qualify for Europe!!

    This could go both ways when temps easily exceed 105 in Florida at 100% humidity. That's why I stay
    in a temperate location =P.

  17. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > Cinder Girl wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

    > >>Barbed wire on my feet for traction
    > >

    > > not having eaten for three days
    >
    > Arms full of books, and still had to somehow get those drumsticks to school...
    >
    > Jon Bond

    If I was late I had to kneel on rusty thumbtacks in front of the whole class.

  18. Cinder Girl wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Penny S. wrote:

    >>>not having eaten for three days
    >>
    >>Arms full of books, and still had to somehow get those drumsticks to school...
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > If I was late I had to kneel on rusty thumbtacks in front of the whole class.

    at least you had rusty thumbtacks to kneel on. We couldn't afford them. We just used porcupines...
    and they usually bit, too.

    Jon Bond

  19. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Cinder Girl wrote:
    > > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > >>Arms full of books, and still had to somehow get those drumsticks to school...
    > >>
    > >>Jon Bond
    > >>

    > > If I was late I had to kneel on rusty thumbtacks in front of the whole class.
    > >

    > at least you had rusty thumbtacks to kneel on. We couldn't afford them. We just used porcupines...
    > and they usually bit, too.

    At least you had porcupines. We were forced to collect used syringes from the torn-down Methadone
    Clinic next door, and PIERCE OUR OWN NIPPLES with them.

    Bill "such hardship" S.

  20. David L

    David L Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Cinder Girl wrote:
    > > > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > If I was late I had to kneel on rusty thumbtacks in front of the whole class.
    > > >

    > > at least you had rusty thumbtacks to kneel on. We couldn't afford them. We just used
    > > porcupines... and they usually bit, too.
    >

    > At least you had porcupines. We were forced to collect used syringes from the torn-down Methadone
    > Clinic next door, and PIERCE OUR OWN NIPPLES with them.
    >
    > Bill "such hardship" S.

    forced? or was that with your own free will? Business or pleasure?

    Dave