OT: The Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Levelwave©, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    you go see it...

    ~john

    --
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
    civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will

    "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
    step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
    Janet Reno US Attorney General

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    > Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    > you go see it...
    >
    > ~john

    I don't think this has any spoilers, but just in case... . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I
    didn't understand the "ugly baby" symbolism.

    I didn't like the resurrection only getting 20 seconds,
    almost as an afterthought. Wife says thats OK because the
    title said it was a "passion", and passion plays are a
    classic literary formula that goes only goes up to the
    crucifixion.

    I think a story that started at the crucifixion and really
    focused on the resurrection and the next 40 days would be
    interesting.

    -Bob

  3. "Levelwave©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    > you go see
    it...

    Spoiler

    Spoiler

    Spoiler

    Spoiler

    Jesus dies in the end.

    Paul

  4. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Levelwave©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    > you go see
    it...

    > ~john
    >

    > --
    > "This year will go down in history. For the first time,
    > a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our
    > streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and
    > the world will follow our lead into the future!" --
    > Adolph Hitler, 1935

    This quote from Hitler is pure BS - a well-known urban
    legend. This is just one of many lies spread by the NRA
    and their supporters. See for example http://www.urbanleg-
    ends.com/politics/hitler_gun_control.html , just one of
    many sources.

    Peter Aitken

  5. I heard an interesting interview on this movie and a comment
    from I believe it was Bill Maher (Politically Incorrect
    fame) who made it. He was asked if he thought the movie was
    unnecessarily violent. His answer was no, as that was how a
    crucifixion was carried out. He asked what did those who
    were shocked by the action think happened? That Jesus
    crawled on a sanded, polished piece of lumber and get
    velcroed to it? I think that put the violence issue where it
    belonged. It happened and it wasn't pretty. -Ginny

    Now for food......does anyone here fast for Good Friday? Or
    has that gone the way of the past as well?

  6. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > I didn't understand the "ugly baby" symbolism.

    That did strike me as odd. Here's an interesting post about
    this with a quote from Gibson...

    http://tinyurl.com/2u9gp

    > I didn't like the resurrection only getting 20 seconds,
    > almost as an afterthought. Wife says thats OK because the
    > title said it was a "passion", and passion plays are a
    > classic literary formula that goes only goes up to the
    > crucifixion.

    ...now see - that part gave me chills. Sometimes (for me
    anyway) less is more. But I think your wife is right in
    that regard.

    > I think a story that started at the crucifixion and really
    > focused on the resurrection and the next 40 days would be
    > interesting.

    I agree...

    ~john

    --
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
    civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will
    be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will
    follow our lead into the future!" -- Adolph Hitler, 1935

    "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
    step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
    Janet Reno US Attorney General

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Virginia
    Tadrzynski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now for food......does anyone here fast for Good Friday?
    > Or has that gone the way of the past as well?

    I do. I don't know if it is a thing of the past for most
    people or not. I believe that most Orthodox Christians
    still maintain the Good Friday fast as well. Normally, I
    fast on Ash Wednesday as well, but didn't this year
    because of being pregnant. We try, as a family, to keep
    the dietary restrictions of Lent as a physical discipline
    to fit us for spiritual discipline, not really because
    you have to do it to make God happy.

    Regards, Ranee

    --
    Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

    "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord
    of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man."
    Acts 17:24

  8. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "Virginia Tadrzynski" <[email protected]> wrote

    snipped

    > Now for food......does anyone here fast for Good Friday?
    > Or has that gone the way of the past as well?

    I do. I abstain from meat on all Fridays, actually, since
    returning to the Church. I am not really good about the
    whole giving something up for 40 days. But I do pretty well
    with Ash Wednesday and Good Friday fasts.

    Anyone making hot cross buns? I am planning on a batch soon.

    Paula

  9. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > This quote from Hitler is pure BS - a well-known urban
    > legend. This is just one of many lies spread by the NRA
    > and their supporters. See for example http://www.urbanleg-
    > ends.com/politics/hitler_gun_control.html , just one of
    > many sources.

    Interesting.

    ~john

  10. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    : zxcvbob wrote:
    :
[...]
    -----------------

    A few of us saw it Sunday.

    While I've been to a Passion play before... my thoughts were
    that since they were showing 'flashbacks' in the movie it
    would have been nice had they showed more flashbacks and
    maybe a little less of the ... ummm, brutality (?). But hey,
    that's me. Of course, upon stating that to Rick, he wasn't
    sure he agreed. His comments were that there are other
    movies out there (PBS or Time/Life-type) that do that
    whereas the Passion is supposed to be upto the crucifixion.
    Maybe but I would rather see more of the relationship side
    of things and the days after...
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>
    --

  11. stan

    stan Guest

    Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    > you go see it...

    Thanks, but I will pass. I have no reason to enhance the
    income of Mel Gibson, nor do I relish the idea of seeing
    such a violent and bloody film, esp. when I know the outcome
    of the story already.

  12. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    > Spoiler Jesus dies in the end.
    >
    > Paul

    Decided not to see the movie as I've already read the book
    and I didn't care for it very much. Lynn from Fargo

  13. Mike Walton

    Mike Walton Guest

  14. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    h ah ah ahaaa!!! this makes me laugh. very good!

    Paul M. Cook©® wrote:

    > "Levelwave©" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    >>you go see
    >
    > it...
    >
    > Spoiler
    >

    > Spoiler
    >

    > Spoiler
    >

    > Spoiler
    >

    > Jesus dies in the end.
    >
    > Paul

  15. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Paul M. Cook©® wrote:
    > "Levelwave©" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    >> you go see it...

    Not knocking anyone's religion but you all do realize this
    is just a MOVIE, right? And the Bible is a book. Open to
    interpretation much as a painting is open to appreciation by
    the viewer.

    Jill

  16. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "WardNA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> I think a story that started at the crucifixion and
    > >> really focused on the resurrection and the next 40 days
    > >> would be interesting.
    > >

    > >I agree...
    >
    > ACTS: THE SEQUEL
    >
    > Neil

    Interesting fiction, indeed.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  17. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    >>you go see it...
    >

    > Thanks, but I will pass. I have no reason to enhance the
    > income of Mel Gibson, nor do I relish the idea of seeing
    > such a violent and bloody film, esp. when I know the
    > outcome of the story already.

    That was my position too, but my daughter wanted to see it
    so I took her to it. Having seen it, it was a powerful film
    but I would not recommend it.

    At least I am now qualified to comment on the movie, unlike
    so many of the film's bashers who have *not* seen it yet
    write reviews, editorials, and op-ed pieces anyway.

    Best regards, Bob

    P.S. I think they should have cast a black actor to play
    Simon of Cerene. The guy who played Simon did a
    compelling job though. One of the better characters.

  18. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
    > I heard an interesting interview on this movie and a
    > comment from I believe it was Bill Maher (Politically
    > Incorrect fame) who made it. He was asked if he thought
    > the movie was unnecessarily violent. His answer was no, as
    > that was how a crucifixion was carried out. (snippage) It
    > happened and it wasn't pretty. -Ginny

    Except, no one was crucified by being hung from nails
    through the palms of their hands... the Romans pounded the
    nails through the wrists.

    Jill

  19. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Just watched it. If it applies to you, I strongly suggest
    >> you go see it...
    >
    > Thanks, but I will pass. I have no reason to enhance the
    > income of Mel Gibson, nor do I relish the idea of seeing
    > such a violent and bloody film, esp. when I know the
    > outcome of the story already.

    What's wrong with Mel Gibson (or anyone else) making money?
    Would you rather see a remake of yet another old TV show on
    film? Charlies Angels? Starsky & Hutch, perhaps?

    Oh, I knew how 'Titanic' was going to end, too. Who the hell
    didn't? It's history. The reason I watched the *last*
    version of it was to see the clothing. Anyone who knows me
    knows I adore antique/vintage clothing :)

    OB: Food, I'll have the lamb, rare, with very little
    mint sauce.

    Jill

  20. Emil Luca

    Emil Luca Guest