OT: The Passion of the Christ

Bob Myers wrote:
> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>>Look at Gen 5, especially verse 4:
>>
>>(NKJV) Genesis 5:1-5 "This is the book of the genealogy of
>>Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the
>>likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female, and
>>blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were
>>created. 3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years,
>>and begot [a son] in his own likeness, after his image,
>>and named him Seth. 4 After he begot Seth, the days of
>>Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and
>>daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine
>>hundred and thirty years; and he died."
>

> Oh, I see. Genesis endorses incest.

There wasn't a whole lot of choice for the first few
generations.

> And this whole silly thing relates to cooking HOW,
> exactly?

I don't know how it relates to cooking. I just gave a
plausible answer to the question.

Best regards, Bob

Bob Myers wrote:

> Oh, I see. Genesis endorses incest.
>
> And this whole silly thing relates to cooking HOW,
> exactly?

Hello Bob. You sound like an intelligent person. Would you
like me to help you with the meaning of "OT" or should I
just assume that you, as an intelligent person, already know
the definition?

~john

: Nancy Young wrote:
: > Peter Aitken wrote:
: >
: >> Truth? Here's a question for you, since you believe the
bible
: >> contains truth. Where did Cain and Abel's wives come
: >> from?
: >
: > When they left Eden, didn't they walk into a fully
: > populated
city?
: > It's a silly story. I don't know where people came
: > up with
this
: > stuff.
: >
: > nancy
:
: Anyone remember Lilith? (smile)
:
: Jill
:
===========

What does Frazier's ex-wife have to do with it? <snort>

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Uh, John. This is a newsgroup where people post things and
> others reply as they see fit. Like this. If you want to
> deal in personal messages, the best way is to use email.

Thanks for the concern Bob. ...but the last thing I intended
this thread to evolve into was as attack on Christianity.

~john

"Darryl L. Pierce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > I had a similar experience. It's unfortunate that to
> > many Americans, "freedom of religion" means you get to
> > choose between baptist,
methodist,
> > and a couple of other mainstream protestant
> > denominations.
>
> Even worse, to alot of Americans (including such people as
> Sen. Leibowitz) freedom of religion does not include
> freedom *from* religion.

Very true!

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:20:53 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> What strikes me as truly funny now is looking back to
> the 'fish on friday' days of my life and remembering
> that we (and most others that I knew at the time) didn't
> eat fish on friday so much as we ate some fish product.
> Think fish sticks, tuna casserole, etc. Never a nice pan
> seared salmon filet or fresh trout or anything like
> that. I can't pass the freezer case in my grocery
> without cracking up when I see the packages of Mrs
> Paul's Manta Ray.
>
> Jack Catholiquor

Jack, look at it historically (think backwards a millennia)
and think about nutrition. I'm far from Catholic, but it
makes sense to me.

"Jack Schidt®" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What strikes me as truly funny now is looking back to the
> 'fish on friday' days of my life and remembering that we
> (and most others that I knew at
the
> time) didn't eat fish on friday so much as we ate some
> fish product.
Think
> fish sticks, tuna casserole, etc. Never a nice pan seared
> salmon filet
or
> fresh trout or anything like that.

Well, the fast was meant to be a sacrifice -- unless you
absolutely hate fish I don't think salmon or lobster count
as sacrificial food.

Friday in our household meant salt cod, boiled potatoes in
their jackets & scruncheons (salt fatback rendered until
crisp). I hated it with a passion. Then I got married, moved
away and within a few months called mom to see how she
cooked salt cod & scruncheons -- craved the suckers with a
passion -- leading mom to ask if she was going to be a
grandmother. Now on days like Ash Wed. & Good Friday the
menu is fish cakes. The RC church in Canada doesn't call for
abstinence from meat on any other day.

Gabby

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:c2m52m$1ue1d7$1@ID-
63726.news.uni-berlin.de:

>> And this whole silly thing relates to cooking HOW,
>> exactly?

If you don't eat...you won't live...if you're dead I'm
pretty sure they won't let you marry your sister. So cooking
- the preparation of food seems important to this thread.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> When they left Eden, didn't they walk into a fully
>>> populated city? It's a silly story. I don't know where
>>> people came up with this stuff.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>
>> Anyone remember Lilith? (smile)
>>
>> Jill
>>
> ===========
>
> What does Frazier's ex-wife have to do with it? <snort>

"Lilith has many origins. In one version of the bin-Sira
version of the Bible, Lilith is the first wife of Adam
(before Eve) and was created at the same time that god
created Adam."

However, the actress (Bebe Neuwirth) who portrays Frasier's
ex wife is probably a stunning example of the cold *****
Lilith was supposed to be ;-)

Jill

Gabby wrote:

> Well, the fast was meant to be a sacrifice -- unless you
> absolutely hate fish I don't think salmon or lobster count
> as sacrificial food.

I'm not Xian and haven't done recent research, but I
thought the fish on Friday thing was a nod to the
fisherman lobby which was suffering hard financial times.
By giving a religious reason for telling people to eat
only fish once a week, no other meat, the Church gave the
fisherman's sales a boost.

--Lia

jmcquown wrote:

> However, the actress (Bebe Neuwirth) who portrays
> Frasier's ex wife is probably a stunning example of the
> cold ***** Lilith was supposed to be ;-)

I always found her strangely seductive... Don't ask why...

~john

WardNA wrote:
>> Except, no one was crucified by being hung from nails
>> through the palms of their hands... the Romans pounded
>> the nails through the wrists.
>
> Best archaeological evidence (supported by physiology) is
> that the crucified were actually nailed through their
> forearms, to prevent asphyxiation from kicking in before
> they had suffered enough pain.
>
> Neil

Wrists, forearms... you tell me the difference when you're
nailed to a piece of wood.

Hey! Look what [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote :

>If you brought your young daughter to see that horrendous
>film you did that to brainwash her, you are an unfit
>parent.. instilling religion in an impressionable child is
>the greatest evil one can commit, the ultimate form of
>child abuse... so you raped your own child's mind.

and you cook with those same hands that typed this? I sure
hope you don't poison someone.

take care Liz

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:13:43 +0000, WardNA wrote:

> Best archaeological evidence (supported by physiology) is
> that the crucified were actually nailed through their
> forearms, to prevent asphyxiation from kicking in before
> they had suffered enough pain.

The reason for putting the spike through the wrist rather
than through the hands was that the bones in the wrist will
hold onto the spike. If it were put through the hands then
the weight of the body would eventually tear the hand open
and the person would fall off of the cross. I think it had
little to do with asphyxiation and a lot to do with the
physics of hanging someone by their arms.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care