OT: The Passion of the Christ

Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> wrote:

> After reading the post to which you replied, I could only
> wonder, "what version of xtianity or any other religion
> has made the world any better?"

Any religion who's adherants do not seek to use their
religion as the basis for violence and/or the influence of
public policy is not pathological in my humble opinion.
Buddhism would fit that category.

Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> wrote:

> After reading the post to which you replied, I could only
> wonder, "what version of xtianity or any other religion
> has made the world any better?"

Any religion who's adherants do not seek to use their
religion as the basis for violence and/or the influence of
public policy is not pathological in my humble opinion.
Buddhism would fit that category.

> I think it had little to do with asphyxiation

It was everything about asphyxiation as that was the cause
of death for most "done" in this manner.

Slow and painful process to get to the point where one could
not raise one's head to breath.

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but
it is important to take steps to minimize it.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real
email address.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:06:48 -0600, Mo' Sawdust wrote:

>> I think it had little to do with asphyxiation
>
> It was everything about asphyxiation <snip>

Reread my post. I meant putting the spikes through the
wrists rather than the hands had nothing to do with
asphyxiation and everything to do with that being the only
point capable of bearing the crucified person's weight
without ripping.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> I don't mind padding his pocket if I choose to see the
> film. Which I will do... when I'm on my trip at the end
> of the month :)
[snip]
I don't think I'll see the film, I read the book and I
didn't really care much for it.

;-) Lynn from Fargo

Peter Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had a similar experience. It's unfortunate that to many
> Americans, "freedom of religion" means you get to choose
> between baptist, methodist, and a couple of other
> mainstream protestant denominations.

I agree. I would love to see a president in the White House
who says he simply does not care about religion, or one who
has the honesty to admit that he simply does not know.

Peter Aitken <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had a similar experience. It's unfortunate that to many
> Americans, "freedom of religion" means you get to choose
> between baptist, methodist, and a couple of other
> mainstream protestant denominations.

I agree. I would love to see a president in the White House
who says he simply does not care about religion, or one who
has the honesty to admit that he simply does not know.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> > You're talking to a Southerner who once opened the door
> > to find a preacher and his son standing there telling
> > me all about their Baptist church. I said, "No thanks,
> > I already have a church." Oh? Which one? They started
> > naming off Baptist churches. I said, "I'm NOT Baptist."
> > You'd have thought I'd declared I was the devil
> > incarnate... they backed away, stammering and mumbling
> > to themselves. It was hilarious!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Oh. You're a southerner and NOT a southeraner! There's a
> big difference.

I bet she's never had a Jehovah's Witness or Mormon at the
door... they are like the old fashioned d-t-d salesmen: Get
yer foot in and wear 'em down until they buy the product.

sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:32:08 -0600, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > There are some fascinating books on the health benefits
> > of fasting.
> >

> Like "visions"?

No. <G> I still even went to the gym when I was doing this.

> > Wish I still had the will power to do that. :p
> >

> Wooo. Well, you'd save a lot of money on food. Real health
> benefits are doubtful...
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I lost a lot of weight. ;-)

I was very, very depressed when I was doing that.

Funny, after the 2 week fast, I felt fine. Just decided
to stop it and that was the last time I fasted. It took
me 6 months of periodic fasting to be able to work up to
that. Started with 3 day fasts and worked up to 5 days,
then on up.

Lost 80 lbs. in 6 months, but gained it back over 5
years. <sigh>

Been trying to lose it again the "right" way ever since.

It's almost easier to not eat at all rather than make
yourself make the right food choices!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>

> > Well, the fast was meant to be a sacrifice -- unless you
> > absolutely hate fish I don't think salmon or lobster
> > count as sacrificial food.
>

> I'm not Xian and haven't done recent research, but I
> thought the fish on Friday thing was a nod to the
> fisherman lobby which was suffering hard financial times.
> By giving a religious reason for telling people to eat
> only fish once a week, no other meat, the Church gave the
> fisherman's sales a boost.

Abstaining from meat was required but we didn't HAVE to eat
fish. We were/are quite free to eat vegetarian if we wanted.
The interesting thing is that we could eat whale, seal, etc
things that we know are meat but that the church considered
fish because of where they lived.

Gabby

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:45:53 GMT, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not Xian and haven't done recent research, but I
>thought the fish on Friday thing was a nod to the
>fisherman lobby which was suffering hard financial times.
>By giving a religious reason for telling people to eat
>only fish once a week, no other meat, the Church gave the
>fisherman's sales a boost.

Just dredged this up on Google:

Frogleg wrote

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:30:18 GMT, Puester
<[email protected]> wrote: (note date)

>FWIW I read long ago that fish-on-Friday was the Vatican's
>attempt to revitalize the European fishing industry many
>years ago.

Many, many, many years ago. A couple of thousand, in fact.
Haven't been able to quickly discover any solid Catholic
info. sites, but weekly fasting appears to have evolved from
pre-Christian traditions. Presumably when/where fish was
abundant and cheap, and animal flesh was a treat. And it
wasn't exactly "fish on Friday" but "refrain from meat on
Friday" -- i.e., fish was allowed.