OT: The reason the Nigerians keep going

Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in news:c0auui$et9$1@news-
out.ftel.co.uk:

> It's always claimed, isn't it, that when those Americans bought the old London Bridge to install
> at Lake Havasu, they thought they were getting Tower Bridge.

That's the claim, but it probably isn't true. If you've ever seen the transplanted bridge, it looks
pretty good in it's new home (I've only ever seen pictures of it).

Graeme

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:51:30 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>That wasn't what he said.
>
>And when did refugees become asylum seekers?

Hi Guy at al

You're all quite right. I, as often is the case, read part of the message and jumped to the wrong
conclusion.

My only gripe regarding Nigerians is that I all too often receive spams from people about
that country.

Sorry James

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:58:54 -0000, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Judging by Graham's recent posts, his views are abhorrent, indefensible, and completely irrelevant.
>This thread has nothing to do with immigration; it's a light-hearted take on the idiots who fall
>for the Nigerian scam. And he was trying to swing it round to his agenda.

Hi Simon

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. In my case, a little reading of previous posts is also
dangerous.

Apologies James

On 10 Feb 2004 07:53:44 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>I have got telephone preference, brilliant, waster free evenings;-)

Apart from the odd one, and you can have great fun asking them for their details for the OFCOM
complaint :-D

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:51:08 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>My only gripe regarding Nigerians is that I all too often receive spams from people about
>that country.

I think one person once managed to turn the tables on them to the tune of the price of a beer. No
doubt Tony Raven has the reference...

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

In news:[email protected],
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> typed:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:51:08 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in
> message <[email protected]>:
>
>> My only gripe regarding Nigerians is that I all too often receive spams from people about that
>> country.
>
> I think one person once managed to turn the tables on them to the tune of the price of a beer. No
> doubt Tony Raven has the reference...

Someone got about 500 quid off them once. The 419ers needed an urgent shipment of PCs, you see, and
although the PC dealers had received the cheque, it was yet to clear, and there was an unstoppable
block in the process which meant they couldn't pay for shipping, so somehow they wangled that cost
out of them. I saw it in The Register, but won't bother to find a link at the minute.

I really don't think its about racism.

The bottom line is:-

1) This island is getting too overcrowded.

2) To much pollution (see 1 above)

3) To much traffic (see 1 above)

4) Far to much building on greenfield sites (see 1 above)

5) Too many people entering this country take advantage of our good (soft?) nature and then try to to impose their culture on ours whilst claiming to be British - until we question that imposistion and they then say it's something they had back in their motherlands. Don't even think about telling them to go back to re-discover their roots! (also see 1 above)

We have enough problems trying to find affordable housing and jobs which present enough interest/challenges for the next generations witout having to find all that for people from other countries clinging to our shirt/benefit tails as economic refugees.

The best thing we could do, as a nation, is to offer our expertise to develop the infrastructure of these impoverished countries, bringing health, wealth and stability so these people can help their own motherlands and enjoy their cultures in the places it originated in. That way we could retain our heritage and help them develop their countries to such an extent we could all go there claiming political asylum whilst enjoying the sunshine in a newly developed and propserous country which may actually have a culture we could then influence1

mae <pedal&amp> wedi ysgrifennu:

> I really don't think its about racism.

<snip>

> 5) Too many people entering this country take advantage of our good (soft?) nature and then try to
> to impose their culture on ours whilst claiming to be British - until we question that
> imposistion and they then say it's something they had back in their motherlands. Don't even
> think about telling them to go back to re-discover their roots! (also see 1 above)

So it is about racism, then.

> We have enough problems trying to find affordable housing and jobs which present enough
> interest/challenges for the next generations witout having to find all that for people from other
> countries clinging to our shirt/benefit tails as economic refugees.

I think you'll find that people new to these islands do all of the shitty jobs that the natives
don't want at pay rates that the natives would laugh at.

> The best thing we could do, as a nation, is to offer our expertise to develop the infrastructure
> of these impoverished countries, bringing health, wealth and stability so these people can help
> their own motherlands and enjoy their cultures in the places it originated in.

Tried that. It was called the British Empire.

--
Rob

----------------
(Disclaimer: am drunk -bar closed but didn't want to go to club. U.R.C is all that is preventing me
tidying my room instead. Contents of this post will probably not make sense in the morning)
----------------

I could write an essay about this but I don't want to , and you wouldn't want to read it. Instead
I'll just whack down some half arsed scribblings.

> I really don't think its about racism.

This is great. A nice statement like this leaves it slightly ambiguous about what you're debating.
Should you're arguments be rebutted you can fall back on this statement and explain you were talking
about something else entirely. Never, ever define exactly what 'it' is unless you know you can win
the argument.

> The bottom line is:-
>
> 1) This island is getting too overcrowded.

hmmm, debateable. Yes because we are not self sufficient in food, no because there's still room for
plenty more. Last time I bothered to check the figures more people were leaving than coming in
anyway, so it's all a bit pointless getting heated up over this one.

> 2) To much pollution (see 1 above)

Irrelevent. Paragraph was getting to long so I deleted it. You weren't missing much though.

> 3) To much traffic (see 1 above)

Apart from the cause of this essay, immigrants don't create that much traffic. Banning all
immigrants would have no noticeable effect on the amount of traffic. Thus also irrelevent (tho I
suppose it does bring it kind of on topic for this newsgroup - nice one)

> 4) Far to much building on greenfield sites (see 1 above)

Immigrants tend to concentrate in shitty places where no-one else wants to live. Only rich people
(people richer than me. As I'm a student in debt the fact that beggers on the street have no
money[1] means they are WAY richer than me. This makes my definition of rich a tad useless, but see
disclaimer above) buy houses in what used to be a field.

> 5) Too many people entering this country take advantage of our good (soft?) nature

There is nothing soft about the nature of British people. Us Southerners may seem a bit poncey at
times, but go a up north a bit and call 'em soft - you'll not like what happens but it'll prove my
point nicely!

> and then try to to impose their culture on ours

No no no no no - immigrants either try and stay hidden away in their little communities isolated
from us proper British people so that their culture, values and norms are preserved, or try to
integrate themselves. Only idiot liberals try and impose OTHER peoples culture onto us. Actually,
this is not true. Idiot liberals merely suppress out culture - renaming Christmas 'Winter Holidays'
or whatever.

> whilst claiming to be British

You're either English, Welsh or Scottish. Maybe Northern Irish, but we'll wait until they can try
and work out what nationality they want to be in a civilised fashion before we acknowledge their
existence in this post. Anyway, whatever, if they're claiming to be British that kinda contradicts
the imposing of their culture on us statement earlier, but only kind of.

> until we question that imposistion and they then say it's something they had back in their
> motherlands

Is this an Empire thing? Dunno wtf you're on about here.

> Don't even think about telling them to go back to re-discover their roots! (also see 1 above)

They're over here 'cos they want a better life. Whether this is because some

here doesn't matter. Roots are nice but they tend to grow in manure (ask anyone if where they grew
up was a great place to live or the worst place in Britain).

> We have enough problems trying to find affordable housing

But we've got plenty of chip shitty inner city housing that no-one but poor immigrants want. High
house prices are nothing to do with immigrants anyway - it's all about (insert 500 word essay here).

and jobs which
> present enough interest/challenges for the next generations

Immigrants certainly do not go for interesting and challenging jobs! Unless they're highly qualified
doctors or whatever. Then they get to be lowly paid doctors over here!

witout
> having to find all that for people from other countries

No no no no no - people have to find their own jobs!

> clinging to our shirt/benefit tails as economic refugees.

Economic refugees come here to earn money by doing **** jobs. Typically they then go home after a
relatively short time. What they earn is generally used to support people back home. Occasionally
they'll bring the rest of th family over too, I should point out.

Despite what the tabloids say, surviving on benefits is bloody awful, especially when you've got
standards. With the high barriers to entry - particularly the cost if you're coming in illegally,
immigrants tend to be from the upper portions of society. Thus they have standards. People coming in
with diseases - particularly TB, is a problem for the NHS tho. blah blah blah a bit more.

> The best thing we could do, as a nation, is to offer our expertise to develop the infrastructure
> of these impoverished countries, bringing health, wealth and stability so these people can help
> their own motherlands and enjoy their cultures in the places it originated in. That way we could
> retain our heritage and help them develop their countries to such an extent we could all go there
> claiming political asylum whilst enjoying the sunshine in a newly developed and propserous country
> which may actually have a culture we could then influence1

Yep, we're doing that. It's called free trade (along with some other donationy type stuff, generally
tied to arms sales) but for some reason us western countries can't stop trying to screw one over on
them in the trade talks. <insert a couple of hundred words on boring economic stuff here>

There, sobered up now. Thankyou.

---

pedal&pint <[email protected]> wrote in news:mkcXb.24200
[email protected]:

> 1) This island is getting too overcrowded.

Rubbish. Fly over the UK at night and there are vast areas of very low inhabitation. Maybe the south
east is over-crowded, but here's some news, theres's more to the UK than the SE.

As your first statement is rubbush, it follows that the rest is highly dubious, especially the bit
about not being about racism.

Graeme

"Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> pedal&pint <[email protected]> wrote in news:mkcXb.24200
> [email protected]:
>
> > 1) This island is getting too overcrowded.
> >

> Rubbish. Fly over the UK at night and there are vast areas of very low inhabitation. Maybe the
> south east is over-crowded, but here's some news, theres's more to the UK than the SE.

In fairness it depends on what benchmark you use, compared to the American mid-west we are tightly
packed in in England, even compared to France we have a higher density. Having said that it's still
not too difficult to "get away from it all" on a bike for many of us if we choose to.
--
Regards, Pete

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:37:06 GMT, pedal&pint
<[email protected]>:

>5) Too many people entering this country

Oh good, another bigot to keep Graham company in the trollbox.

Guy
===