[OT] The world's most dangerous road

Simon Mason wrote on 12/11/2006 14:53 +0100:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6136268.stm
>>
>> Any yet still the drivers take risks to get somewhere faster.

> In Clarkson's column yesterday he moaned about the 7th car driver to end up
> in his garden due to a dangerous bend. Didn't occur to him that it was due
> to poor driving skills, he blamed an unusual camber.

Well he can hardly blame poor driving skills can he - they are only
driving according to the Gospel of JC.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

On Nov 12, 1:13 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6136...
>
> Any yet still the drivers take risks to get somewhere faster.

Someday I must make the effort to revisit the Highway of Brotherhood
and Unity that once linked Zagreb and Belgrade[1].

That was a truely sphincter tightening ride on a knackered bus that
intermittently caught fire and the drivers of which were knocking back
vodka and swapping the helm whilst hurtling round blind bends. The
narrowness of the road and depth of precipice were something to behold.
As were the numerous skid marks leading to the abyss.

Had my mother not been with me assuring me she'd seen far worse, I'd
have got out and walked.

[1] Apparently, the death toll /reduced/ while the road became a battle
theatre rather than a road.

in message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6136268.stm

>> Any yet still the drivers take risks to get somewhere faster.

> In Clarkson's column yesterday he moaned about the 7th car driver to end
> up in his garden due to a dangerous bend. Didn't occur to him that it was
> due to poor driving skills, he blamed an unusual camber.

<sarcasm>
Because, after all, a driver cannot reasonably be expected to have the
skill to cope with unusual camber.
</sarcasm>

;; better than your average performing pineapple

In news:[email protected],
Not Responding <[email protected]> scribed:

> Someday I must make the effort to revisit the Highway of Brotherhood
> and Unity that once linked Zagreb and Belgrade[1].
>
> That was a truely sphincter tightening ride on a knackered bus that
> intermittently caught fire and the drivers of which were knocking back
> vodka and swapping the helm whilst hurtling round blind bends. The
> narrowness of the road and depth of precipice were something to
> behold. As were the numerous skid marks leading to the abyss.
>
> Had my mother not been with me assuring me she'd seen far worse, I'd
> have got out and walked.
>
> [1] Apparently, the death toll /reduced/ while the road became a
> battle theatre rather than a road.

A mate of mine once came perilously close to tumbling off Yugoslavia and
into the sea when he dropped his motorbike on a bend. Fortunately a
strategically-placed concrete bollard - no namby-pamby armco here - arrest
his mount's progress via the base of the engine. The bike, while somewhat
bent, was still ridable, though it was making a valiant effort to chew its
rear sprocket to bits. The problem of working out the Greek for "rear
sprocket for ancient Kawasaki 750" was neatly solved when it turned out that
the proprietor of the motorcycle repairers at which he sought a replacement
part was a son of East Finchley.

--
Dave Larrington
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.