OT: This has been a long day...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Curtis L. Russell, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Until last Thursday, I believed it was enough to chain to a rock those
    caught creating spyware and let Harpies rip their livers out for an
    eternity.

    As of right now, today, I'm favoring staking them out with steel
    spikes on said rock, all other conditions remaining the same.

    A video cam and mike would be nice, something to watch on my lunchtime
    - something I used to have.

    It has been a long day.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

    Tags:

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Until last Thursday, I believed it was enough to chain to a rock those
    > caught creating spyware and let Harpies rip their livers out for an
    > eternity.

    > As of right now, today, I'm favoring staking them out with steel
    > spikes on said rock, all other conditions remaining the same.

    > A video cam and mike would be nice, something to watch on my lunchtime
    > - something I used to have.

    > It has been a long day.

    I bought my kid a used laptop for cheap. It is just not possible to
    secure a machine for someone that clicks on everything so my approach
    is to use a machine that I can just wipe out and reload. Doesn't
    work for grownups though.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  3. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:42 -0000, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I bought my kid a used laptop for cheap. It is just not possible to
    >secure a machine for someone that clicks on everything so my approach
    >is to use a machine that I can just wipe out and reload. Doesn't
    >work for grownups though.

    Or 60 users. The stuff seems to have come in during about a 6 hour gap
    between hitting large numbers in the wild and the new virus profiles
    being released on the 9th. What I am supposed to be doing today is
    finishing the January financials. What I have been doing is keeping
    people up and running on the network.

    Either it effected the rollback copies for the registries or XP
    doesn't do it as well as I expected. My first big need to have
    registry rollbacks and it doesn't appear to work well more than a few
    days in the past. 98SP2 did better.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  4. Cranky

    Cranky Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:42 -0000, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I bought my kid a used laptop for cheap. It is just not possible to
    >>secure a machine for someone that clicks on everything so my approach
    >>is to use a machine that I can just wipe out and reload. Doesn't
    >>work for grownups though.

    > Or 60 users. The stuff seems to have come in during about a 6 hour gap
    > between hitting large numbers in the wild and the new virus profiles
    > being released on the 9th. What I am supposed to be doing today is
    > finishing the January financials. What I have been doing is keeping
    > people up and running on the network.

    I feel for you, 275 Win2K IE6 users for me. Microsoft should be hung out
    to dry. Billions of dollars on viruses and now we will loose billions of
    dollars of productivity and downtime on this crap, and it's all 100% a
    direct affect of Microsoft "features" that were known security risks but
    deployed to differentiate the Windows OS from other more robust and more
    secure OS'es. But hey the *next* version of Windows will be the most
    secure ever! Just like the last three!

    > Either it effected the rollback copies for the registries or XP
    > doesn't do it as well as I expected.

    Yes spyware infects the registry, and thus is in restore points. Spyware
    is all over the reg like the plague. Whats really fun is removing reg
    keys and then watching them reappear as a polling app monitors the keys
    and copies in new ones from a secondary backup spot in the Reg. Insane
    Criminal Geniuses, MS should hire them all and start a new OS from
    scratch. Or we could just all get Macs and be done with it.

    > My first big need to have
    > registry rollbacks and it doesn't appear to work well more than a few
    > days in the past. 98SP2 did better.

    Depending on the flavor of spyware rollbacks won't solve the problem
    entirely.

    If you control the network deploy Firefox as the default browser, you
    will not see spyware again as spyware is solely the province of the
    ActiveX, Internet Explorer Windows OS triangle of death.
    <http://www.mozilla.org/>

    Todays High count: 597 spyware objects found by AdAware. Required
    booting from a CD based WinXP OS disk, running four removal Spyware
    tools, manually hitting the reg and file system and then booting up with
    Cat5 unplugged, and then run AdAware and MS AntiSpyware again. Enable
    network and pray. Hey Redmond, thanks for the innovation!!

    <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    <http://www.apple.com/>

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Cranky <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:42 -0000, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>I bought my kid a used laptop for cheap. It is just not possible to
    > >>secure a machine for someone that clicks on everything so my approach
    > >>is to use a machine that I can just wipe out and reload. Doesn't
    > >>work for grownups though.

    > > Or 60 users. The stuff seems to have come in during about a 6 hour gap
    > > between hitting large numbers in the wild and the new virus profiles
    > > being released on the 9th. What I am supposed to be doing today is
    > > finishing the January financials. What I have been doing is keeping
    > > people up and running on the network.

    > I feel for you, 275 Win2K IE6 users for me. Microsoft should be hung out
    > to dry. Billions of dollars on viruses and now we will loose billions of
    > dollars of productivity and downtime on this crap, and it's all 100% a
    > direct affect of Microsoft "features" that were known security risks but
    > deployed to differentiate the Windows OS from other more robust and more
    > secure OS'es. But hey the *next* version of Windows will be the most
    > secure ever! Just like the last three!
    >

    > > Either it effected the rollback copies for the registries or XP
    > > doesn't do it as well as I expected.

    > Yes spyware infects the registry, and thus is in restore points. Spyware
    > is all over the reg like the plague. Whats really fun is removing reg
    > keys and then watching them reappear as a polling app monitors the keys
    > and copies in new ones from a secondary backup spot in the Reg. Insane
    > Criminal Geniuses, MS should hire them all and start a new OS from
    > scratch. Or we could just all get Macs and be done with it.
    >
    > > My first big need to have
    > > registry rollbacks and it doesn't appear to work well more than a few
    > > days in the past. 98SP2 did better.

    > Depending on the flavor of spyware rollbacks won't solve the problem
    > entirely.
    >
    > If you control the network deploy Firefox as the default browser, you
    > will not see spyware again as spyware is solely the province of the
    > ActiveX, Internet Explorer Windows OS triangle of death.
    > <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    >

    > Todays High count: 597 spyware objects found by AdAware. Required
    > booting from a CD based WinXP OS disk, running four removal Spyware
    > tools, manually hitting the reg and file system and then booting up with
    > Cat5 unplugged, and then run AdAware and MS AntiSpyware again. Enable
    > network and pray. Hey Redmond, thanks for the innovation!!
    >
    > <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    > <http://www.apple.com/>

    Since I use an Apple Mac with OSX I have no clue what you guys are
    talking about :) Spyware??? Malware??? Viruses??????

    Sometimes is is good to be in a minority group :)

  6. j2

    j2 Guest

    >>Todays High count: 597 spyware objects found by AdAware. Required
    >>booting from a CD based WinXP OS disk, running four removal Spyware
    >>tools, manually hitting the reg and file system and then booting up with
    >>Cat5 unplugged, and then run AdAware and MS AntiSpyware again. Enable
    >>network and pray. Hey Redmond, thanks for the innovation!!
    >>

    > Sometimes is is good to be in a minority group :)

    I learnt after the first pc - boot off knoppix cd - data to flash drive
    - format c: - way less time.