Ot: This is WAY OT, but you guys know everything

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by nancree, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. nancree

    nancree Guest

    What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.
    ThanksNancree

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    nancreep wrote:
    > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.

    Your IQ.

  3. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Yup! Like I said. Sheldon has a crush on me. Can't you tell? (;-)
    Nancree

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just
    > curious.
    > ThanksNancree

    I think there are 8 locations, and they're trying to raise awareness
    about poverty issues before the meeting of the G-8 this week or next
    week (whenever).

  5. On 3 Jul 2005 15:03:10 -0700, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yup! Like I said. Sheldon has a crush on me. Can't you tell? (;-)

    Some of us have Sheldon killfiled, so have no idea what you're talking
    about.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  6. On Sun 03 Jul 2005 06:36:13p, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > On 3 Jul 2005 15:03:10 -0700, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Yup! Like I said. Sheldon has a crush on me. Can't you tell? (;-)

    > Some of us have Sheldon killfiled, so have no idea what you're talking
    > about.

    The best advice I've heard all day, Terry. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 07/01/2005
    Tested on: 7/3/2005 6:39:48 PM

  7. Bell Jar

    Bell Jar Guest

    "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.
    > ThanksNancree

    The concerts were not to raise money but to raise awareness. The organizers
    are trying to get the attention of 8 world leaders. Leaders of: United
    States, England, France, Germany, Russia, Japan, Italy and Canada.

  8. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    nancree wrote:
    > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.
    > ThanksNancree

    The concerts coincide with the G8 summit - a meeting of the heads of 7
    rich countries plus Russia. The concerts are trying to build up
    sentiment to influence the G8 leaders to provide more aid to poor countries.

    Regards

    Louis Cohen

    "Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

    Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

  9. aem

    aem Guest

    Louis Cohen wrote:
    > nancree wrote:
    > > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.
    > > ThanksNancree
    > >

    > The concerts coincide with the G8 summit - a meeting of the heads of 7
    > rich countries plus Russia. The concerts are trying to build up
    > sentiment to influence the G8 leaders to provide more aid to poor countries.

    Also, organized by the same guy who did the Live Aid concert way back
    when.

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the meaning of the "8" in the Live-8 concerts yesterday? Is
    > this the 8th in a series? Or 8 venues in this one? Or?? Just curious.
    > ThanksNancree

    http://www.g7.utoronto.ca/what_is_g8.html

    Dimitri

    Since 1975, the heads of state or government of the major industrial democracies
    have been meeting annually to deal with the major economic and political issues
    facing their domestic societies and the international community as a whole. The
    six countries at the first summit, held at Rambouillet, France in November 1975,
    were France, the United States, Britain, Germany, Japan and Italy. They were
    joined by Canada at the San Juan Summit of 1976 in Puerto Rico, and by the
    European Community at the London Summit of 1977. From then on, membership in the
    Group of Seven, or G7, was fixed, although 15 developing countries' leaders met
    with the G7 leaders on the eve of the 1989 Paris Summit, and the USSR and then
    Russia participated in a post-summit dialogue with the G7 since 1991. Starting
    with the 1994 Naples Summit, the G7 met with Russia at each summit (referred to
    as the P8 or Political Eight). The Denver Summit of the Eight was a milestone,
    marking full Russian participation in all but financial and certain economic
    discussions; and the 1998 Birmingham Summit saw full Russian participation,
    giving birth to the Group of Eight, or G8 (although the G7 continued to function
    along side the formal summits). At the Kananaskis Summit in Canada in 2002, it
    was announced that Russia would host the G8 Summit in 2006, thus completing its
    process of becoming a full member. (See Delegations & Documents for a list of
    all summits since 1975.)

    The G7/8 Summit has consistently dealt with macroeconomic management,
    international trade, and relations with developing countries. Questions of
    East-West economic relations, energy, and terrorism have also been of recurrent
    concern. From this initial foundation the summit agenda has broadened
    considerably to include microeconomic issues such as employment and the
    information highway, transnational issues such as the environment, crime and
    drugs, and a host of political-security issues ranging from human rights through
    regional security to arms control.