OT: Thunderbird newsreader

Ben Barker

Guest
Apologies for this off topic topic...

Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
it to display threaded and collapsed?

Cheers,

Ben

> Apologies for this off topic topic...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben

I dont know the answer to yourquestion im afraid but I tried it and
could not get on with having different view settings for every single
news group.

Has this changed, is there a global view setting yet?

Ben Barker wrote on 05/07/2006 23:04 +0100:
> Apologies for this off topic topic...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?

Try mozilla.support.thunderbird Something odd with your setup as I
have no problems with mine.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Ben Barker wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?

It seems to be a bug. You soon get used to hitting '\' upon accessing
an ng, although it would be nice not to have to.

Have you tried asking (or Googling) on alt.fan.mozilla? I haven't been
over there for a while, for all I know the question may already have
been answered.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

Ben Barker wrote:
> Apologies for this off topic topic...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?

It's not something I notice much on startup as I leave Thunderbird
running all the time. I do have the 4th mouse button programmed to send
Thunderbird a backslash to collapse threads and the 5th one to go to the
next unread message, which helps in one way, but doesn't help me migrate
to Linux as I haven't figured out how to do application specific mouse
clicks outside of Windows yet ...

--

JimP

" " - John Cage

Ben Barker came up with the following;:
> Apologies for this off topic topic...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?

When I use MT I open a group, select View - Sort By ...Date, Ascending and
Threaded ... then View - Messages and select All .... then View - threads
and select All. Seems to work fine for me and opens threads as I go to the
next unread article. I don't bother collapsing threads unless I've left the
computer running and MT open for a few days or so and it gets cumbersome.

ISTR that there was a threading bug though in one version, so have a look in
a more specific mozilla support newsgroup, maybe. :)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Ben Barker said the following on 05/07/2006 23:04:

> Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> it to display threaded and collapsed?

Which version are you using? AFAIK there isn't a way to make it start
up collapsed on any version (which is irritating), but it should hold
your threading options for each individual group (which is brilliant!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Ben Barker said the following on 05/07/2006 23:04:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with why Thunderbird keeps reverting to
> > displaying every individual post on start-up, however many times I tell
> > it to display threaded and collapsed?

> Which version are you using? AFAIK there isn't a way to make it start
> up collapsed on any version (which is irritating), but it should hold
> your threading options for each individual group (which is brilliant!)

Would be brilliant if you could have an overall global view instead of
having to tweak each and every individual newsgroup you happen to
frequent, a pain when you add/remove new groups regularly.