OT: Tipping when you pickup food to go?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:27:28 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> And you make it moreso by pointing it out.
>>
>> On Sun 26 Feb 2006 01:11:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?
>>

>>>About tipping; not "abbout". (How embarassing to mistype the subject)
>>>
>>>zxcvbob wrote:

>I wanted to point out that I *can* spell. And I thought maybe people
>would reply to that message instead of the original, so the misspelling
>wouldn't get propagated into a long drawn out thread -- mocking me the
>whole time.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

Abbot tipping - support your local monastery!

I do NOT leave a tip if the person serving me is just standing behind
a counter... they're supposed to get enough profit from the food to
cover their wages. And no I don't tip if it's some place where you
have to clear your own table.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:01:14 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:03:04 -0600, "jmcquown"
><[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>Oh yeah! I can't tell you how irritating it is to be given back a fiver as
>>if they (even in a full service restaurant) feel they are entitled to $5 on
>>a four dollar breakfast, regardless of how good/bad the service was.

>More than once, I've had cash on the table that was 25 or 30% more
>than the bill simply b/c I didn't have change and had the server ask
>if I needed change. Uh, yes.

When I was waiting tables, I *never* asked if people needed change. I
just assumed they did and took it to them. I just *hate* it when
waiters hint for tips. Bleah.

serene

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:58:55 GMT, sarah bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>limey wrote:

>> I was just about to post a similar comment, Terry.
>> Something's wrong when I give the server a $20 bill for a $12 lunch and am
>> often asked if I need change. "Yes, please".
>>
>> Dora
>>

>How do you feel about the server asking how much change you would like back?

Rude, rude, rude. When I waited tables, I would just take them back
all their change. It's their business if/how much they want to tip.

serene

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:00:21 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2006-02-24, sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That is not what I said at all. "What do you want as your change?" does
>> not imply that the waiter/waitress is implying that you should give
>> him/her a 67% tip. They are trying to save themselves a trip. Why is
>> that a problem?

>It's not a problem if the server doesn't have their head up their ass.
>*ALL* change should be returned, regardless if it's two cents or
>twenty dollars, no questions asked under any circumstances. If the
>server doesn't want to make a trip back to the register, they should
>break up larger bills on their own initiative. I commonly get large
>change broken down into smaller denominations by a server to make it
>more convenient for me to tip. Any good server who knows their job
>will do this.

Exactly so, and I often carried enough change in my apron pocket to
make change at the table, so I didn't have to make an extra trip.

serene

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 06:29:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 26 Feb 2006 07:19:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
>>
>> > I can sympathize with you too, Wayne. We had a retail business for
>> > 18
>> > years that went downhill the last three, leaving us with a business
>> > debt that has to be paid with income from our pensions and savings.
>> > Thankfully, we have rsp's that we can fall back on and a house that
>> > we put a mortgage on in order to pay the business debt off. We still
>> > have some equity for the future, but we live close to the bone all
>> > the time. We get by, but only through very careful
>> > management. But life is good
>> > anyway...Sharon
>> >

>> Thanks, Sharon. It must be heartbreaking to lose or have to close a
>> personal business, as it's a much more personal thing. I'm glad you
>> were able to manage, even though it still brings hardship. We are at
>> least making headway now. We have re-established credit, and will
>> finally be able to have our home again by the end of summer. For us
>> that's huge progress. It does, indeed, take very careful management.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> I'm glad you'll be able to get your home back. It's one of the most
> important investments you'll make. I feel that our house is our "old
> age security". We're in our early 60's and our chances of increasing
> our imcome is nil. We are not able to work any more. But, with careful
> budgeting, we'll be fine. Closing our business was difficult, but also
> a relief. We have enough for small pleasures. We have an old camper
> van (in really good shape) that we travel with in the summer. We won't
> be making any long distance trips any more, but our summer will be
> enjoyable.
> Good luck with your future plans.....Sharon

Thanks, Sharon.

> OB food: last night was spaghetti with my DH's favourite (and the only
> one I make..lol) sauce..... I've posted the recipe before.

That's amazing...the only difference between your sauce and mine is that I
add more herbs. Otherwise it's identical in both ingredients and method.
In addition to the oregano, I add basil, rosemary, parsley, thyme, and
sage.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 12:55:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob Myers?

> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > And you make it moreso by pointing it out.
>> >
>> > On Sun 26 Feb 2006 01:11:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> > zxcvbob?

>> I wanted to point out that I *can* spell.

> Well, except for the larger words like "embarrassing"...:)
>
> Of course, then Wayne chimes in thinking that "more so" is
> a single word...

It's in common usage, if not grammatically correct.

> Bob "Pedantic today, ain't I?" M.

Yes.

I supposed better a pedant than a pedophile.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've never had small children so I don't know what hell parents that have
> them go through. If I did have small children for a birthday party I'd

take
> them all to The Magic House and have a party after here. I understand

some
> people don't have those options though. Some people live in apartments
> etc. There is a lot of entertainment for kids in St. Louis. Now *I* like

> go play at Dave & Busters ;)

OK, take Dave & Buster's, delete the alcohol, drop the overall
quality of the food by at least an order of magnitude, and aim
the result at the 4-to-10-year-old set. Bingo, Chuck E. Cheese's...

Seemingly a paradise for the kids, and sheer hell for the adults.

Bob M.

limey wrote:
> "sarah bennett" wrote in message
>
>>I've decided on homemade pizza and a cake, and a walk to the park 2 blocks
>>away. If they don't like it they can haul their sorry asses to chuck e
>>cheese if they are so insistent on it.
>>--
>>saerah

> Atta girl! Stand up to them and do it your way. Bullies stop when they're
> confronted. Good luck.
>
> Dora

Well, now my husband has decided that the weather around the end of
April is too iffy to plan on something outside. My In-laws are paying
for chuck-e-cheese. At least I get to make El a cake.
::sigh::

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 01:16:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> limey wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" wrote in message
>>
>>>I've decided on homemade pizza and a cake, and a walk to the park 2
>>>blocks away. If they don't like it they can haul their sorry asses to
>>>chuck e cheese if they are so insistent on it.
>>>--
>>>saerah

>> Atta girl! Stand up to them and do it your way. Bullies stop when
>> they're confronted. Good luck.
>>
>> Dora
>>

> Well, now my husband has decided that the weather around the end of
> April is too iffy to plan on something outside. My In-laws are paying
> for chuck-e-cheese. At least I get to make El a cake.
>::sigh::

"Family" was one of the reasons we moved 2500 miles away from them. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon 27 Feb 2006 01:16:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
> bennett?
>
>> limey wrote:

>>> Atta girl! Stand up to them and do it your way. Bullies stop when
>>> they're confronted. Good luck.
>>>
>>> Dora
>>>

>> Well, now my husband has decided that the weather around the end of
>> April is too iffy to plan on something outside. My In-laws are paying
>> for chuck-e-cheese. At least I get to make El a cake.
>>::sigh::
>>

> "Family" was one of the reasons we moved 2500 miles away from them. :)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

Under certain circumstances, even that is not far enough!

Dee Dee

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 01:41:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon 27 Feb 2006 01:16:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
>> bennett?

>>> Well, now my husband has decided that the weather around the end of
>>> April is too iffy to plan on something outside. My In-laws are paying
>>> for chuck-e-cheese. At least I get to make El a cake.
>>>::sigh::
>>>

>> "Family" was one of the reasons we moved 2500 miles away from them. :)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

> Under certain circumstances, even that is not far enough!
>
> Dee Dee

We have found that out, but at least it helps minimize it.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

> > I'm glad you'll be able to get your home back. It's one of the most
> > important investments you'll make. I feel that our house is our "old
> > age security". We're in our early 60's and our chances of increasing
> > our imcome is nil. We are not able to work any more. But, with careful
> > budgeting, we'll be fine. Closing our business was difficult, but also
> > a relief. We have enough for small pleasures. We have an old camper
> > van (in really good shape) that we travel with in the summer. We won't
> > be making any long distance trips any more, but our summer will be
> > enjoyable.
> > Good luck with your future plans.....Sharon

> Thanks, Sharon.
>
> > OB food: last night was spaghetti with my DH's favourite (and the only
> > one I make..lol) sauce..... I've posted the recipe before.

> That's amazing...the only difference between your sauce and mine is that I
> add more herbs. Otherwise it's identical in both ingredients and method.
> In addition to the oregano, I add basil, rosemary, parsley, thyme, and
> sage.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

I have orders from dh not to change anything...lol...Sharon

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 03:50:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

>> > I'm glad you'll be able to get your home back. It's one of the
>> > most
>> > important investments you'll make. I feel that our house is our "old
>> > age security". We're in our early 60's and our chances of increasing
>> > our imcome is nil. We are not able to work any more. But, with
>> > careful budgeting, we'll be fine. Closing our business was
>> > difficult, but also a relief. We have enough for small pleasures.
>> > We have an old camper van (in really good shape) that we travel with
>> > in the summer. We won't be making any long distance trips any more,
>> > but our summer will be enjoyable. Good luck with your future
>> > plans.....Sharon

>> Thanks, Sharon.
>>
>> > OB food: last night was spaghetti with my DH's favourite (and the
>> > only one I make..lol) sauce..... I've posted the recipe before.

>> That's amazing...the only difference between your sauce and mine is
>> that I add more herbs. Otherwise it's identical in both ingredients
>> and method. In addition to the oregano, I add basil, rosemary, parsley,
>> thyme, and sage.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> I have orders from dh not to change anything...lol...Sharon

Oh, I was suggesting, just commenting. I've ben told not to change mine
either, since I finally got it that way.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 27 Feb 2006 03:50:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> >> Thanks, Sharon.

> >> That's amazing...the only difference between your sauce and mine is
> >> that I add more herbs. Otherwise it's identical in both ingredients
> >> and method. In addition to the oregano, I add basil, rosemary, parsley,
> >> thyme, and sage.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________
> >>
> >> BIOYA

> > I have orders from dh not to change anything...lol...Sharon

> Oh, I was suggesting, just commenting. I've ben told not to change mine
> either, since I finally got it that way.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

Confession time....I add tarragon...sshhhh....I notice it, but he
doesn't. I add tarragon to a lot of things.......Sharon

On Tue 28 Feb 2006 08:14:55a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Mon 27 Feb 2006 03:50:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

>> > I have orders from dh not to change anything...lol...Sharon

>> Oh, I was suggesting, just commenting. I've ben told not to change
>> mine either, since I finally got it that way.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> Confession time....I add tarragon...sshhhh....I notice it, but he
> doesn't. I add tarragon to a lot of things.......Sharon

hehehe! I won't tell. I might even give it a try. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:08:14 -0800, "Curt Nelson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>As an aside, a few years ago some friends and I stopped into a roadhouse
>outside of Portland, Or. and they had self-cook steaks!
>
>Right in the middle of the place was a big grill and hood and they would
>bring you a slab of cow and whatever you wanted to season it with and you
>just got up and cooked it yourself.
>
>I thought it was the coolest thing...and you certainly couldn't complain
>about the chef.

They have a place like that in San Diego (The Turf Club, in Golden
Hill), and it's cool, sure, but it threw us the first time we went in
and ordered a steak and a mushroom burger and they were brought to our
table cold, wrapped in plastic.

Ohhhhhh, so *that*'s what those people are milling around in the
middle of the room for!

serene

"serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:08:14 -0800, "Curt Nelson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>As an aside, a few years ago some friends and I stopped into a roadhouse
>>outside of Portland, Or. and they had self-cook steaks!
>>

> They have a place like that in San Diego (The Turf Club, in Golden
> Hill), and it's cool, sure, but it threw us the first time we went in
> and ordered a steak and a mushroom burger and they were brought to our
> table cold, wrapped in plastic.
>
> Ohhhhhh, so *that*'s what those people are milling around in the
> middle of the room for!
>
> serene

In Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA There was a restaurant (mid-1980's) called the
Grate Steak. Located near the intersection of Virginia Beach Expressway &
Military Highway. Similar setup, except you chose your cut of meat out of
self-serve pro refrigerators (glass doors) that lined the wall in the 'pit
room'. Several cuts/sizes to choose from, IIRC, including a slice of prime
rib with bone.

They also had the option of having the house cook your meat if you so
desired.

(This was the town where we also discovered Hooters. . . .)

Van

Was an enjoyable meal - we went there almost every time we went to Norfolk
in the 80's. (That was