OT: Tipping when you pickup food to go?

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:57:37 GMT, Margaret Suran
> <[email protected]> wrote:

The place is one of the chain restaurants of the Belgian "Le
>>Pain Quotidien".

> They need a name change to "Le Pain dans Le Tuchas."
>
> Boron

Thank you, that is cute!

news:%[email protected]...
> To answer your question with a question: Do you tip at the drive thru if
> you
> buy a burger? They aren't really offering you anything, are they? So my
> answer is NO.

Heck, I tip at the drive-thru when I'm only getting coffee -- just as I tip
at the counter of the local donut shop.

Gabby

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:08:14 -0800, "Curt Nelson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>As an aside, a few years ago some friends and I stopped into a roadhouse
>outside of Portland, Or. and they had self-cook steaks!
>
>Right in the middle of the place was a big grill and hood and they would
>bring you a slab of cow and whatever you wanted to season it with and you
>just got up and cooked it yourself.
>
>I thought it was the coolest thing...and you certainly couldn't complain
>about the chef.

Well... If I want to cook myself, I stay home...

Nathalie

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:08:14 -0800, "Curt Nelson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>As an aside, a few years ago some friends and I stopped into a roadhouse
>>outside of Portland, Or. and they had self-cook steaks!
>>
>>Right in the middle of the place was a big grill and hood and they would
>>bring you a slab of cow and whatever you wanted to season it with and you
>>just got up and cooked it yourself.
>>
>>I thought it was the coolest thing...and you certainly couldn't complain
>>about the chef.

> Well... If I want to cook myself, I stay home...
>
> Nathalie

Some will like the experience of something new and enjoy being around their
friends while experiencing it. This sounds like a nice night out for 'the
gang.' Drinks and hooting probably adds to the good time for some at these
types of places. Wonder if the meat was top-notch.
Dee Dee

"Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
>> To answer your question with a question: Do you tip at the drive thru if
>> you
>> buy a burger? They aren't really offering you anything, are they? So my
>> answer is NO.

> Heck, I tip at the drive-thru when I'm only getting coffee -- just as I
> tip at the counter of the local donut shop.
>
> Gabby

The last time I went to Dunkin' Doughnuts -- now, many months ago -- it was
the last place I would tip -- the guy and his wife were owners? (or
franchise owners) or so they acted; they were treating everyone like dogs.
It was a sight to behold.
Not disputing what you say, but just my experience with this totally
out-of-line duo at a donut shop.
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Heck, I tip at the drive-thru when I'm only getting coffee -- just as I
>> tip at the counter of the local donut shop.
>>
>> Gabby

> The last time I went to Dunkin' Doughnuts -- now, many months ago -- it
> was the last place I would tip -- the guy and his wife were owners? (or
> franchise owners) or so they acted; they were treating everyone like dogs.
> It was a sight to behold.
> Not disputing what you say, but just my experience with this totally
> out-of-line duo at a donut shop.

I've noticed that almost everyone here tips at Tim Hortons (the franchise
owner even has a sign posted for the employees "Count your tips on your own
time, not mine.")People also also tip at A&W and at Subway.

The policy at our local KFC is that tips go to the company that has the
franchise, not the employees, so we don't tip there.

Gabby

Gabby <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've noticed that almost everyone here tips at Tim Hortons (the franchise
> owner even has a sign posted for the employees "Count your tips on your own
> time, not mine.")People also also tip at A&W and at Subway.

It must vary by region with Tim Hortons. A young woman I knew who worked
in a local branch was rather startled when she moved out of the province
and found that tipping was common in the Tim Hortons in the new province.

I wouldn't say it is common here to tip at a fast food restaurant or a
coffee shop or when picking up takeout.

--
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 04:17:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gabby?

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
>> To answer your question with a question: Do you tip at the drive thru
>> if you buy a burger? They aren't really offering you anything, are
>> they? So my answer is NO.

> Heck, I tip at the drive-thru when I'm only getting coffee -- just as I
> tip at the counter of the local donut shop.
>
> Gabby

You set a bad precedent.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 06:41:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:eek:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:08:14 -0800, "Curt Nelson"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>As an aside, a few years ago some friends and I stopped into a
>>>roadhouse outside of Portland, Or. and they had self-cook steaks!
>>>
>>>Right in the middle of the place was a big grill and hood and they
>>>would bring you a slab of cow and whatever you wanted to season it with
>>>and you just got up and cooked it yourself.
>>>
>>>I thought it was the coolest thing...and you certainly couldn't
>>>complain about the chef.

>> Well... If I want to cook myself, I stay home...
>>
>> Nathalie

> Some will like the experience of something new and enjoy being around
> their friends while experiencing it. This sounds like a nice night out
> for 'the gang.' Drinks and hooting probably adds to the good time for
> some at these types of places. Wonder if the meat was top-notch.
> Dee Dee

Also no cleanup!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 22 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Wed 22 Feb 2006 04:17:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gabby?
>

> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:%[email protected]...
> >> To answer your question with a question: Do you tip at the drive thru
> >> if you buy a burger? They aren't really offering you anything, are
> >> they? So my answer is NO.

> > Heck, I tip at the drive-thru when I'm only getting coffee -- just as I
> > tip at the counter of the local donut shop.
> >
> > Gabby

> You set a bad precedent.

The chinese restaurant near me kinda tips it's customers. On pick up orders
you get a 10% discount.

--
-Alan

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> The chinese restaurant near me kinda tips it's customers. On pick up orders
> you get a 10% discount.
>
> --

That's pretty cool. At our local mexican place, take out costs
more-----they charge you 10 cents for each styrofoam container.

They did NOT think it was funny (maybe their English wasn't good
enough? no offense but everybody there's a native spanish speaker frmo
the sounds of thei conversations with each other) when I asked if I
could bring my own tupperware when I came to pick our food up, and save
a buck, not to mention the planet.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:40:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:
>> At recent dinner out for one.. my bill was $12.23.. I paid at the
>> table.. gave the waiter a ten and two fives.. I thought he might have
>> a clue as why.. He came back with coins two singles and a five..
>> When he placed it on the table.. I asked if he had change for a 5.. he
>> said no.. couldn't understand why I would want change I guess.. the
>> reluctantly went back to register and got change.. Don't **** me off
>> right before I'm going to leave you a tip bozo.. I guess I could have
>> given him just the 2 singles..
>>
>> Chuck (in SC)

>OK, Chuck, I'm thinking you got $7.77 in change. If you left him $2.77
>for a tip and kept the fiver, you're pushing 25% for a tip. How much
>DID you leave and how may I serve you this evening? I want to get in on
>your dole.

Food was great, service was better than good,, (until paying the
bill).. I was going to leave 3 singles.. I had a need for the
"change".... I just thought it should have been obvious to wait
person I was needing singles...
Chuck (in SC)

In article <[email protected]>,
Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:40:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> At recent dinner out for one.. my bill was $12.23.. I paid at the
> >> table.. gave the waiter a ten and two fives.. I thought he might have
> >> a clue as why.. He came back with coins two singles and a five..
> >> When he placed it on the table.. I asked if he had change for a 5.. he
> >> said no.. couldn't understand why I would want change I guess.. the
> >> reluctantly went back to register and got change.. Don't **** me off
> >> right before I'm going to leave you a tip bozo.. I guess I could have
> >> given him just the 2 singles..
> >>
> >> Chuck (in SC)

> >OK, Chuck, I'm thinking you got $7.77 in change. If you left him $2.77
> >for a tip and kept the fiver, you're pushing 25% for a tip. How much
> >DID you leave and how may I serve you this evening? I want to get in on
> >your dole.

> Food was great, service was better than good,, (until paying the
> bill).. I was going to leave 3 singles.. I had a need for the
> "change".... I just thought it should have been obvious to wait
> person I was needing singles...
> Chuck (in SC)

Maybe the server didn't think you were going to be such a good tipper.
"-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :)

>> This tipping thing is out of control. At some point people
>> should just do their job that they are being paid for, that's what
>> I think. Obviously waitstaff is not paid for that and it's
>> understood. In the states.
>>
>> nancy

I remember reading about some "fourth-world" African nation,
where "tipping" ( bribery ) was a way of life.
You had to pay a little bribe to everyone for the most basic things.

I don't remember the word they used......

<rj>

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:22:02 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Margaret Suran wrote:

<snip>

>I bought
>> a three inch piece of pastry, which costs $5.00 and paid with a ten
>> dollar bill. The cashier stuck the little **** into a paper bag and
>> carefully gave me five one dollar bills as change and handed them to me
>> right above the tip container. I said "thank you", put the five dollars
>> into my wallet and left. Did she really think she is entitled to a
>> dollar tip for putting something into a paper bag? The place is one of
>> the chain restaurants of the Belgian "Le Pain Quotidien".

>At least she was smart enough to give you 5 singles.

When my son was in high school, he delivered pizzas and the owner told
him to always have change ready for a $20. He didn't. He said if he
bobbled for change, they almost invariably told him to keep the
change. The kid was working the system at 16 and he hasn't looked
back.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> When my son was in high school, he delivered pizzas and the owner told
> him to always have change ready for a $20. He didn't. He said if he
> bobbled for change, they almost invariably told him to keep the
> change. The kid was working the system at 16 and he hasn't looked
> back.

I wonder how many people stopped ordering the pizzas from that shop because
they were going to cost them $20.

"Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> pgluth1 <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>One day the boss says, "we've decided to fire the custodian
>>to save some money, can you clean up the bathrooms after we close?"

> My husband was a custodian for years. He loved the work, but you'd be
> surprised how many times he was laid off because of that exact scenario.

One office where I worked had a cleaner/packer. She decided to retire and
the owner/boss never replaced her. From then on all I heard were
complaints about the state of the washroom (used by the 4 staff members and
every Monday nights by a group of about 30 women in the office for a rally).
I got fed up of listening to the girls moan & complain so one day I came in
early in jeans with my bathroom cleaning supplies from home & my rubber
gloves. When they came in at the regular time, the bathroom was spotless.

Hey, if I'm going to have to use the facilities I'll at least make sure
they're clean. I've also done this a couple of times at my present job,
when nobody was detailed to clean the public washroom. It was either clean
it or have to wait until I got home to pee. Since I drink a lot of tea,
waiting wasn't an option. Gee, I tip at take-outs and I sometimes clean
the washrooms at work -- someone give me a halo! ;o)

Gabby

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 03:05:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gabby?

> "Glitter Ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> pgluth1 <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>>One day the boss says, "we've decided to fire the custodian to save
>>>some money, can you clean up the bathrooms after we close?"

>> My husband was a custodian for years. He loved the work, but you'd be
>> surprised how many times he was laid off because of that exact
>> scenario.

> One office where I worked had a cleaner/packer. She decided to retire
> and the owner/boss never replaced her. From then on all I heard were
> complaints about the state of the washroom (used by the 4 staff members
> and every Monday nights by a group of about 30 women in the office for a
> rally). I got fed up of listening to the girls moan & complain so one
> day I came in early in jeans with my bathroom cleaning supplies from
> home & my rubber gloves. When they came in at the regular time, the
> bathroom was spotless.
>
> Hey, if I'm going to have to use the facilities I'll at least make sure
> they're clean. I've also done this a couple of times at my present job,
> when nobody was detailed to clean the public washroom. It was either
> clean it or have to wait until I got home to pee. Since I drink a lot
> of tea, waiting wasn't an option. Gee, I tip at take-outs and I
> sometimes clean the washrooms at work -- someone give me a halo! ;o)

Either a halo or a psyc exam! :)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed 22 Feb 2006 03:05:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gabby?

>> Hey, if I'm going to have to use the facilities I'll at least make sure
>> they're clean. I've also done this a couple of times at my present job,
>> when nobody was detailed to clean the public washroom. It was either
>> clean it or have to wait until I got home to pee. Since I drink a lot
>> of tea, waiting wasn't an option. Gee, I tip at take-outs and I
>> sometimes clean the washrooms at work -- someone give me a halo! ;o)

> Either a halo or a psyc exam! :)

No, the psych exam should be for saying to the boss "No, I don't want a
raise, but please get me high speed internet."

Gabby

Gabby wrote:

> One office where I worked had a cleaner/packer. She decided to retire and
> the owner/boss never replaced her. From then on all I heard were
> complaints about the state of the washroom (used by the 4 staff members and
> every Monday nights by a group of about 30 women in the office for a rally).
> I got fed up of listening to the girls moan & complain so one day I came in
> early in jeans with my bathroom cleaning supplies from home & my rubber
> gloves. When they came in at the regular time, the bathroom was spotless.

That's amazing. I wish that we had had a sucker to clean up after us. We had a
contract with a cleaner who bid so low on the job he couldn't do it, so most of
the time we had no cleaner. There were only two of us working there for the last
three years. We tried hard not to make a mess, but when we did we cleaned it up
ourselves, but on company time.

I can imagine how bad your washroom must have got with so many women using it. I
once had a part time job cleaning a restaurant on weekends. The women's washroom
was always a sty.