OT - Topo map online source?

Larry Coon

Guest
This is pretty much off-topic for this group, but
I figured a few people here would know the answer.

One of my Xmas presents was a Cyclosport HAC-4
ciclocomputer, which includes an altimiter. One
of the setup settings is an input for your home
elevation, which it uses for calibration for each
ride. I'm looking for an online topo map where I
can look that up.

Does anybody know of a good site online (hopefully
one that has streets as well as the standard topo
data)? I've been Googling for a while, and the
sites I've found so far only show large-scale maps
for free. I'm not trying to be stingy, but I'd
also like to not have to pay just to look up one
number.

Thanks for any pointers.

Larry Coon
University of California

MSN has a map source
topozone.com also
NASA has one produced by the radar equiped shuttle
try LIDAR in geology, is that right? LIDAR?
try asking google directly>
map location altitude

So, you don't want a map at all but rather just some elevation numbers?
Call your city government - their engineering department might be able
to get you that number for you.

NOW, if you're a map geek like me, therre's DeLorme Topo USA. It's like
$50 for a region or $100 for the whole USA. It has streets, points of
interest, and all kinds of topo data. If you have a PDA, there's an
add-in to get the topo map onto it. (They also have a nice Blue Tooth
GPS antenna.)

Bill wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > MSN has a map source
> > topozone.com also
> > NASA has one produced by the radar equiped shuttle
> > try LIDAR in geology, is that right? LIDAR?
> > try asking google directly>
> > map location altitude

> You've got options:
> http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> http://geography.usgs.gov/partners/viewonline.html
> Bill

Thanks, guys. terraserver was the closest to what I was
looking for. Some of the rest started asking for registration
(money) once you started digging. With terraserver, by
flipping between the aerial photo and the topo map, I was able
to narrow it down pretty closely -- to within 20' or so, which
is certainly more accurate than I need for the altimiter.
(And if you care, I'm at 870' [higher than I thought], while
the uncalibrated HAC4 said 920' [it's a rainy day here, which
I'm sure threw it off a little].)

Larry Coon
University of California

I use Delorme Topo which I paid arround $35 for and it is great. I would be
happy to look up what you need but I unfortunately only bought the USA East
version.

Anyone out there with USA West want to help this guy out?

Terry

"Larry Coon" <lmcoon@nospam_cox.net> wrote in message
> This is pretty much off-topic for this group, but
> I figured a few people here would know the answer.
>
> One of my Xmas presents was a Cyclosport HAC-4
> ciclocomputer, which includes an altimiter. One
> of the setup settings is an input for your home
> elevation, which it uses for calibration for each
> ride. I'm looking for an online topo map where I
> can look that up.
>
> Does anybody know of a good site online (hopefully
> one that has streets as well as the standard topo
> data)? I've been Googling for a while, and the
> sites I've found so far only show large-scale maps
> for free. I'm not trying to be stingy, but I'd
> also like to not have to pay just to look up one
> number.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>

> Larry Coon
> University of California

"Larry Coon" <lmcoon@nospam_cox.net> wrote in message
> This is pretty much off-topic for this group, but
> I figured a few people here would know the answer.
>
> One of my Xmas presents was a Cyclosport HAC-4
> ciclocomputer, which includes an altimiter. One
> of the setup settings is an input for your home
> elevation, which it uses for calibration for each
> ride. I'm looking for an online topo map where I
> can look that up.
>
> Does anybody know of a good site online (hopefully
> one that has streets as well as the standard topo
> data)? I've been Googling for a while, and the
> sites I've found so far only show large-scale maps
> for free. I'm not trying to be stingy, but I'd
> also like to not have to pay just to look up one
> number.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>

> Larry Coon
> University of California

Try the following site----I googled "topo maps" and got this
http://www.topozone.com/

hope it helps.
Adrian

Per Larry Coon:
>Thanks, guys. terraserver was the closest to what I was
>looking for.

If you want to spend a few bucks, TopoFusion makes a convenient interface to
TerraServer...lets you flip-flop between aerial photos and 1, 2, 4 and
larger-meter topo maps.
--
PeteCresswell

Adrian Snyder wrote:

> Try the following site----I googled "topo maps" and got this
> http://www.topozone.com/

Yeah, that was one of the first sites I found, too. You
can get a basic map online there, but for anything truly
useful you need their "pro" version.

Like I said in another post, I was able to find a close
enough value for my purposes on terraserver. Thanks!

Larry Coon
University of California

Terry wrote:

> I use Delorme Topo which I paid arround $35 for and it is great. I would be
> happy to look up what you need but I unfortunately only bought the USA East
> version.
>
> Anyone out there with USA West want to help this guy out?

Appreciate it, but as I said in another post, I was able to

richard wrote:

> So, you don't want a map at all but rather just some elevation numbers?

Not even -some-, just -one-. The elevation where the bottom
of my driveway meets the street.

> Call your city government - their engineering department might be able
> to get you that number for you.

Thanks for the idea. Luckily I was able to find a close
enough value for my purposes on terraserver. Thanks!

Larry Coon
University of California

As long as the original question's been answered try

http://keyhole.com

And download the free trial for fun.

I previewed some possible rides rides with it.

Ron

Yes, but is their $100 USA Topo map, what is it? the 7.5? Deg. scale.
Only the most detailed Topos are of any value to bicyclists. Believe
me, I've tried the less detailed ones & they're 95% useless. Truly just
a waste of time & $. If DeLorme is the most detailed, then they are an
incredible buy. And I’ll definitely buy the set.
Thanks, John

Per RonSonic:
>http://keyhole.com

Does that thing know from night/day? When I tried it on my pc (at night) all
the maps had a very dark brown overcast. At first I just attributed it to
something between KeyHole and my video card's driver.....but then I started to
wonder...
--
PeteCresswell

Larry -

What's your exact location?

- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com

Ed McNierney wrote:

> Larry -
>
> What's your exact location?

Hi Ed,

How exact? I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, at about
33° 37' 12"N, 117° 37' 10"W....
<http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3720206.67304018%20&e=442545.938396931&u=6&datum=nad83>

....but it's hard to be more exact than that without
a street map overlay. Are you talking specific address?

Larry Coon
University of California

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> Per RonSonic:
> >http://keyhole.com

> Does that thing know from night/day? When I tried it on my pc (at night) all
> the maps had a very dark brown overcast. At first I just attributed it to
> something between KeyHole and my video card's driver.....but then I started to
> wonder...
> --
> PeteCresswell

Pete & Ron --

I played with the Keyhole trial a year or two ago -- it's was
a lot of fun. Did they add topo or elevation data since then?

Pete....I think once you get out of the specific areas for which
they have good coverage, they replace the map with a graphic that
looks sorta like terrain but isn't. Maybe that's what you're
seeing? I live right on the border between a suburban area for
which they have good coverage, and canyon areas for which they
don't. Using Keyhole, once I moved east a few miles, I got that
graphic.

I also remember them saying (back when I played with it) that it
required a nVidia graphic chipset, so maybe it really is something
between Keyhole and your video card.

Larry Coon
University of California

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:20:54 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Per RonSonic:
>>http://keyhole.com

>Does that thing know from night/day? When I tried it on my pc (at night) all
>the maps had a very dark brown overcast. At first I just attributed it to
>something between KeyHole and my video card's driver.....but then I started to
>wonder...

No day/night thing I'm aware of. The pictures are generally months old so it
isn't real time. I'd think you had a gamma setting to adjust somewhere.

Kinda fun looking at your world from another perspective.

Ron

> Ed McNierney wrote:
>
>> Larry -
>>
>> What's your exact location?

> Hi Ed,
>
> How exact? I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, at about
> 33° 37' 12"N, 117° 37' 10"W....
> <http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3720206.67304018%20&e=442545.938396931&u=6&datum=nad83>
>
> ...but it's hard to be more exact than that without
> a street map overlay. Are you talking specific address?
>

> Larry Coon
> University of California

The Delorme program shows you at 809 ft. Don't know how accurate that figure
is.

Neal