OT: update, for those keeping tabs still



M

Merlin

Guest
so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
read "the message" and thus killfiled me, or you are one of
the very few that for some reason don't give a damn.

so anyway, my CO thinks that I have a pretty good chance of
getting back in, when my legal matters are over with. mainly
because it was not that I didn't tell them sooner, but that
I was instructed by my recruiter not to tell them as it
would not make any difference (yeah, right). so I just have
to wait for the evidence to be analyzed, and for the USA to
get back from his vacation in Florida. then I should get a
letter in the mail stating that I am "a possible target for
legal action", or something like that. not definite answer
as to if I will be charged or not as they could still drop
the charges.

given my past luck, I am going to expect the worst.

~Travis
 
B

Bb

Guest
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:56:58 -0500, Merlin wrote:
> so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
> read "the message" and thus killfiled me, or you are one
> of the very few that for some reason don't give a damn.

I guess I didn't see it then. Whatever.

You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No excuses.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:56:58 -0500, Merlin wrote:
> > so, given that you are reading this, you have either not
> > read "the
message"
> > and thus killfiled me, or you are one of the very few
> > that for some
reason
> > don't give a damn.
>
> I guess I didn't see it then. Whatever.
>
> You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
> which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
> excuses.
>

I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting. add
to that ****-poor sidewalks (easy way to twist an ankle)
and college kids (seems when college is in session, the
average driving skill of most of the people on the road
goes way down).

I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF fitness
center to give me a monthly rate to use the track and locker
room. no need for waits and the other benefits I wouldn't
use. besides, every time I use the waits, I end up sore for
about a week. joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my
muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
bones. last time on the leg press I could do 12 reps of
565lbs, but my knees complained afterwards.

I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of high
traffic road), but it is quite boring after several laps
(small block).

while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I figure,
a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.

~Travis
 
P

Pete

Guest
"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
> walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I
> figure, a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.
>
> ~Travis

Every day. No excuses.

You think your DI will care if there's snow on the ground,
or it's raining?

Pete and you still need to change your reply to:
 
B

Bb

Guest
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:

>> You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
>> which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
>> excuses.
>
> I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
> a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting.

They're not going to have you running in the gym at boot
camp, so you might as well get used to it now. Run on the
trails, in the snow.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)
 
M

Matthew Paterso

Guest
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:

> I will, as soon as it is safe to.

You going to say that to your commanding officer when your
platoon is under fire out in Iraq?

'Get out there and fight, you maggot!'

'Eh, sure captain, when its safe to do so'

What is your major malfunction!

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet
 
G

Gary In Va

Guest
"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
> ground, or it's
raining?

Actually it will be a Drill Sergeant. DIs are for boot in
the Corps. And he's right Travis, get off your butt and run.
And stop with the excuses because excuses only make for you
to be singled out in boot. And that's the wrong place to be
singled out.

Gary in VA
 
B

Bomba

Guest
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:

>> You should be running everyday in the meantime. No matter
>> which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape. No
>> excuses.
>>
>
> I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are still
> a bit wide, and the ice makes it rather interesting. add
> to that ****-poor sidewalks (easy way to twist an ankle)
> and college kids (seems when college is in session, the
> average driving skill of most of the people on the road
> goes way down).

Always with the excuses...

> I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF
> fitness center to give me a monthly rate to use the track
> and locker room. no need for waits and the other benefits
> I wouldn't use. besides, every time I use the waits, I end
> up sore for about a week.

Then you're trying to lift too much. It's like any exercise,
you need to build up slowly and with weights, you're much
better off doing more reps with lighter loads.

joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my
> muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
> bones. last time on the leg press I could do 12 reps of
> 565lbs, but my knees complained afterwards.

See above. You're not in a power-lifting competition.

> I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of high
> traffic road), but it is quite boring after several laps
> (small block).
>
> while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take a
> walk at least 3 times a week (weather permitting). I
> figure, a few miles walked is better than nothing at all.

If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?

Good luck with the USA thing.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take
> > a walk at least
3
> > times a week (weather permitting). I figure, a few miles
> > walked is
better
> > than nothing at all.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Every day. No excuses.
>
> You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
> ground, or it's
raining?
>

cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running when it
is 20 DegF.

> Pete and you still need to change your reply to:
>

my CO says it is perfectly fine if I still use it as I am
not fully discharged, and AFAIK, he out-ranks you. :p

~Travis
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> > I will, as soon as it is safe to.
>
> You going to say that to your commanding officer when your
> platoon is under fire out in Iraq?
>
> 'Get out there and fight, you maggot!'
>
> 'Eh, sure captain, when its safe to do so'
>
> What is your major malfunction!
>
> --
> Matt
>
> Fear of a flat planet
>

your mother must have dropped you as a baby.
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> >> You should be running everyday in the meantime. No
> >> matter which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape.
> >> No excuses.
> >>
> >
> > I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are
> > still a bit wide,
and
> > the ice makes it rather interesting. add to that ****-
> > poor sidewalks
(easy
> > way to twist an ankle) and college kids (seems when
> > college is in
session,
> > the average driving skill of most of the people on the
> > road goes way
down).
>
> Always with the excuses...
>
> > I have been trying to get the guy that runs the UMF
> > fitness center to
give
> > me a monthly rate to use the track and locker room. no
> > need for waits
and
> > the other benefits I wouldn't use. besides, every time I
> > use the waits,
I
> > end up sore for about a week.
>
> Then you're trying to lift too much. It's like any
> exercise, you need to build up slowly and with weights,
> you're much better off doing more reps with lighter loads.

for me, 565lbs is a lighter load... I can do 50 reps as
easily as 12. I stopped at 12 because my knees bothered. I
don't use the weights anymore anyway. strong legs do not mix
well when you are trying to build up stamina. like running a
V8 with a Holley 4-barrel and a quart of gas.

>
> joints aren't used to heavy work I guess. my
> > muscles seem to develop faster than my cardio/pulmo and
> > bones. last time
on
> > the leg press I could do 12 reps of 565lbs, but my knees
> > complained afterwards.
>
> See above. You're not in a power-lifting competition.
>
> > I can jog my block without a huge risk (only 300ft of
> > high traffic
road),
> > but it is quite boring after several laps (small block).
> >
> > while I may have many excuses not to get out, I do take
> > a walk at least
3
> > times a week (weather permitting). I figure, a few miles
> > walked is
better
> > than nothing at all.
>
> If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?
>

**** poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always the
same length of time. and I jog to the point where I feel
light headed and start tripping on everything.

> Good luck with the USA thing.

thanks, I'll need it.

~Travis
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:53:13 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> >> You should be running everyday in the meantime. No
> >> matter which way it goes, it can't hurt to be in shape.
> >> No excuses.
> >
> > I will, as soon as it is safe to. the snow banks are
> > still a bit wide,
and
> > the ice makes it rather interesting.
>
> They're not going to have you running in the gym at boot
> camp, so you might as well get used to it now. Run on the
> trails, in the snow.
>

actually, the first fitness test, the running is on a track
(in or out I don't know).

and the snow is **** snow at the moment. not stable enough
to hold up somebody walking, let alone running. I'll stick
to my block.

~Travis
 
B

Bomba

Guest
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:01:33 -0500, Merlin wrote:

>> You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
>> ground, or it's
> raining?
>>
>
> cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running when
> it is 20 DegF.

More excuses. I get EIA (diagnosed as moderate to chronic)
that is exacerbated by the cold. I still go out running and
riding in those conditions.

As a secondary point, they let you in to the US army with
asthma?! In the UK you're barred from joining any of the
forces if you're asthmatic and if you're subsequently
diagnosed with asthma after joining, you get medically
discharged.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
B

Bomba

Guest
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:

>> If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run them?
>>
>
> **** poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always
> the same length of time. and I jog to the point where I
> feel light headed and start tripping on everything.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you to
think of a reason why not to do something than it is to
actually get off your **** and get on with it, isn't it?

What on earth makes you think the best treatment for "****
poor cardio/pulmo" would be to sit on your **** for most of
the day? And if your physical condition is that bad, then
what makes you think the army will let you pass basic? What
do you think will happen when you get told to go on a five
mile run and you say; "Sorry Sarge, can't do it. I can only
jog in short spurts and then I get a little light-headed"?
Do you expect the NCO to say; "There, there, Trav. You're
such an important commodity to the US military that we'll
let you lie in bed and watch tv instead"?

You are the only person who is stopping yourself achieving
stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your physical
condition. You're always looking for the easy way out and it
will always hold you back.

Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave it.
When you first start running don't try to run at a fast
pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking speed, you
should have enough breath available that you're able to talk
or sing. At this level, there should still be enough oxygen
in your bloodstream that it will still get get to your brain
and you won't get light-headed. Build from there.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
K

Kamus Of Kadizh

Guest
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:14:05 +0000, Pete wrote:

>
> You think your DI will care if there's snow on the ground,
> or it's raining?

Ummm. Yes. Very much. They love to drag your sorry ass
out old cold, miserable days. Rain, wind, falling 12
penny nails, whatever. A rainstorm at 1AM is their
favorite time to play.

The war don't stop for the weather. And in my experience,
the heat is far, far worse than the cold. A chem suit is a
pleasure when it's below freezing. It's pure hell when it's
105 deg. F outside.

Quitcher bitchin and get out there.

--Kamus
 
B

Bob Rogers

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> You are the only person who is stopping yourself achieving
> stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your physical
> condition. You're always looking for the easy way out and
> it will always hold you back.
>
Yup,

The soap is being placed in the socks as we type
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:01:33 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> >> You think your DI will care if there's snow on the
> >> ground, or it's
> > raining?
> >>
> >
> > cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running
> > when it is 20 DegF.
>
> More excuses. I get EIA (diagnosed as moderate to chronic)
> that is exacerbated by the cold. I still go out running
> and riding in those conditions.
>
> As a secondary point, they let you in to the US army with
> asthma?! In the UK you're barred from joining any of the
> forces if you're asthmatic and if you're subsequently
> diagnosed with asthma after joining, you get medically
> discharged.
>

not diagnosed by a medical professional, thus, a loop-hole.
diagnosed by a friend a few years ago who was going through
med school.

I didn't say I don't go out. I just said when it is really
cold, I don't get to do much exercise outside as my lungs
and throat begin to burn, and I cough quite a bit. makes it
difficult to keep going much farther.

~Travis
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> >> If you can walk those few miles, why can't you run
> >> them?
> >>
> >
> > **** poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always
> > the same length
of
> > time. and I jog to the point where I feel light headed
> > and start
tripping on
> > everything.
>
> Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you to
> think of a reason why not to do something than it is to
> actually get off your **** and get on with it, isn't it?
>

your mind is locked on picking out excuses and is blind to
what i am really saying (over and over again it seems).

again, i didn't say that i don't get out. it may not be
every day, but i do get out most every chance i can. and
i am not going to exert myself beyond my limits,
otherwise i would have a heart attack and none of it
would really matter.

> Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave it.
> When you first start running don't try to run at a fast
> pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking speed,
> you should have enough breath available that you're able
> to talk or sing. At this level, there should still be
> enough oxygen in your bloodstream that it will still get
> get to your brain and you won't get light-headed. Build
> from there.
>

I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
then progress to a light jogging. after a few minutes, when
the lactic acid burns off, I step up to my pace of jogging
(in other words, a comfortable pace given my leg length.
probably faster than some, and slower than others). when I
am so tired I start to get light-headed and start tripping,
I slow to a fast walk for a few minutes until I recover.
then I ease back up into a jog. I do this for about an hour
total each time, and I use my GPS (several relatives chipped
in and bought it for me. has topo maps for hunting, and
roads cause I tend to get lost. Magellan Meridian Platinum)
for keeping track of distance, average speed, and so on.
that way I can keep track of my progress (distance over time
gained each session).

~Travis
 
M

Merlin

Guest
"Bob Rogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:12:21 -0500, Merlin wrote:
> >
> > You are the only person who is stopping yourself
> > achieving stuff Travis, and it's nothing to do with your
> > physical condition. You're always
looking
> > for the easy way out and it will always hold you back.
> >
> Yup,
>
> The soap is being placed in the socks as we type
>
>

I wasn't aware the soap ever left the socks.