OT: update, for those keeping tabs still

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> asthmatic
get

> > > not diagnosed by a medical professional, thus, a loop-
> > > hole. diagnosed by a friend a few years ago who was
> > > going through med
school.

> > Good grief Charlie Brown.
> >
> > Trav, this isn't like lying about an exam grade. As soon
> > as you have to run in the cold (and you will have to run
> > in the cold) and you get an asthma attack they will spot
> > it. You will get discharged.
> >

> as it has not been professionaly diagnosed, i am not
> technicaly lying. besides, i will cross that bridge when i
> come to it. adreanalin can let
you
> do amazing things when under fire.
>
> > > I didn't say I don't go out. I just said when it is
> > > really cold, I
don't
> > > get to do much exercise outside as my lungs and throat
> > > begin to burn, and I cough quite a bit. makes it
> > > difficult to keep going much
farther.

> > Well, you're in luck. The army only operate in fair
> > weather
conditions...

> again, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. my
> first priority is to get in shape to meet the minimum
> requirements. then, and only then, will I work on
> exceeding those requirements.
>
> I am approaching this in the same way I get back into
> biking season. I
push
> myself to my limits, rest for a bit, push more, and so on.
> eventually, I don't have to rest anymore, I just ride.
>
> can't do it too fast or I will only burn out.

Travis, you are an utter *****.

<Brent>

_Fact_

</Brent>

Shaun aRe

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:02:58 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> >> Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you
> >> to think of a
reason
> >> why not to do something than it is to actually get off
> >> your **** and
get
> >> on with it, isn't it?
> >>

> > your mind is locked on picking out excuses
>
> He he. *I'm* the one picking out excuses?
>
> and is blind to what i am really
> > saying (over and over again it seems).
>
> Is what you are saying over and over again, "I can't
> do this"?
>
> > again, i didn't say that i don't get out. it may not be
> > every day, but i
do
> > get out most every chance i can.
>
> It was a metaphorical 'get off your ****' as well as a
> literal one.
>
> > and i am not going to exert myself beyond my
> > limits, otherwise i would have a heart attack and
> > none of it would
really
> > matter.
>
> Hmm, and I was always under the impression that aerobic
> activity helps prevent heart disease...
>
> >> Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave
> >> it. When you first start running don't try to run at a
> >> fast pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking
> >> speed, you should have enough breath available that
> >> you're able to talk or sing. At this level, there
> >> should still be
enough
> >> oxygen in your bloodstream that it will still get get
> >> to your brain and you won't get light-headed. Build
> >> from there.
> >>

> > I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
> > then progress
to a
> > light jogging. after a few minutes, when the lactic acid
> > burns off,
>
> You what?! You get lactic acid build up after a minute or
> two of light jogging?
>
> I step
> > up to my pace of jogging (in other words, a comfortable
> > pace given my
leg
> > length. probably faster than some, and slower than
> > others). when I am so tired I start to get light-headed
> > and start tripping,
>
> You're running too fast. Slow your pace down - you want to
> achieve a steady pace over a long period of time, not a
> stop-start routine. This may mean running slower than what
> you deem to be 'comfortable'.

Face it Jon - our Trav is a total *****. If there's a thing
he actually can do, and has to, you know he'll just invent
an ailment, illness or some other

into a huge joke of a human, and many people have tried to
explain things to him, set him straight, and yet no one has
got through yet.

You'd stand more chance arguing with the eco nob scum and
changing his mind.

Shaun aRe - Pathetic people disgust me.

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> > > **** poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but
> > > always the same length
> of
> > > time. and I jog to the point where I feel light headed
> > > and start
> tripping on
> > > everything.
> >
> > Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you to
> > think of a reason why not to do something than it is to
> > actually get off your **** and get on with it, isn't it?
> >

> your mind is locked on picking out excuses and is blind to
> what i am really saying (over and over again it seems).
>
> again, i didn't say that i don't get out. it may not be
> every day, but i do get out most every chance i can. and
> i am not going to exert myself beyond my limits,
> otherwise i would have a heart attack and none of it
> would really matter.
>
> > Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave it.
> > When you first start running don't try to run at a fast
> > pace. Start at a pace that is almost a walking speed,
> > you should have enough breath available that you're able
> > to talk or sing. At this level, there should still be
> > enough oxygen in your bloodstream that it will still get
> > get to your brain and you won't get light-headed. Build
> > from there.
> >

> I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
> then progress to a light jogging. after a few minutes,
> when the lactic acid burns off, I step up to my pace of
> jogging (in other words, a comfortable pace given my leg
> length. probably faster than some, and slower than
> others). when I am so tired I start to get light-headed
> and start tripping, I slow to a fast walk for a few
> minutes until I recover. then I ease back up into a jog. I
> do this for about an hour total each time, and I use my
> GPS (several relatives chipped in and bought it for me.
> has topo maps for hunting, and roads cause I tend to get
> lost. Magellan Meridian Platinum) for keeping track of
> distance, average speed, and so on. that way I can keep
> track of my progress (distance over time gained each
> session).
>
> ~Travis

Oh my f*cking God. Travis, you are a genius.

/s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

length
> > of
> > tripping on
> > >
> > > Excuses, excuses, excuses. It's always easier for you
> > > to think of a
reason
> > > why not to do something than it is to actually get off
> > > your **** and
get
> > > on with it, isn't it?
> > >

> > your mind is locked on picking out excuses and is blind
> > to what i am
really
> > saying (over and over again it seems).
> >
> > again, i didn't say that i don't get out. it may not be
> > every day, but i
do
> > get out most every chance i can. and i am not going to
> > exert myself
beyond
> > my limits, otherwise i would have a heart attack and
> > none of it would
really
> > matter.
> >
> > > Here's some advice for the running, take it or leave
> > > it. When you
first
> > > start running don't try to run at a fast pace. Start
> > > at a pace that is almost a walking speed, you should
> > > have enough breath available that you're able to talk
> > > or sing. At this level, there should still be
enough
> > > oxygen in your bloodstream that it will still get get
> > > to your brain
and
> > > you won't get light-headed. Build from there.
> > >

> > I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
> > then progress
to a
> > light jogging. after a few minutes, when the lactic acid
> > burns off, I
step
> > up to my pace of jogging (in other words, a comfortable
> > pace given my
leg
> > length. probably faster than some, and slower than
> > others). when I am so tired I start to get light-headed
> > and start tripping, I slow to a fast
walk
> > for a few minutes until I recover. then I ease back up
> > into a jog. I do
this
> > for about an hour total each time, and I use my GPS
> > (several relatives chipped in and bought it for me. has
> > topo maps for hunting, and roads
cause
> > I tend to get lost. Magellan Meridian Platinum) for
> > keeping track of distance, average speed, and so on.
> > that way I can keep track of my
progress
> > (distance over time gained each session).
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Oh my f*cking God. Travis, you are a genius.
>
> /s

no, actually my IQ is only 111 (as tested professionally
when I was 11). that's high-average, not genius. and even
that is most likely too high.

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<sniping, sniping, sniping goes the scissor man>

> no, actually my IQ is only 111 (as tested professionally
> when I was 11).

Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was done
when you where 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a
diferent person now than you where than, I'm sure you would
have had to learn at least a couple new tricks. that test
represents your IQ at the begining of your developmental
years, do you seriously think you havnt developed (for
better or worse) at all since then!?!!

"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> <sniping, sniping, sniping goes the scissor man>
>
> > no, actually my IQ is only 111 (as tested professionally
> > when I was 11).
>
> Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was done
> when you where 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a
> diferent person now than you
where
> than, I'm sure you would have had to learn at least a
> couple new tricks. that test represents your IQ at the
> begining of your developmental years,
do
> you seriously think you havnt developed (for better or
> worse) at all since then!?!!

well, clearly, you all seem to be the better judge of who I
am, so you tell
me.

at 11 I must have been in my mental prime as it is surely
much lower now. somewhere around 85 or less I suspect.

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > <sniping, sniping, sniping goes the scissor man>
> >
> > > no, actually my IQ is only 111 (as tested
> > > professionally when I was
11).

> > Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was done
> > when you where 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a
> > diferent person now than you
> where
> > than, I'm sure you would have had to learn at least a
> > couple new tricks. that test represents your IQ at the
> > begining of your developmental
years,
> do
> > you seriously think you havnt developed (for better or
> > worse) at all
since
> > then!?!!
> >

> well, clearly, you all seem to be the better judge of who
> I am, so you
tell
> me.

I have no clue who you are, and I certainly dont posses
enough information about you to judge your IQ. Who knows it
could realy still be 111, but I'm not buying your word on it
based on a test that was taken when you where 11.

"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> > > <sniping, sniping, sniping goes the scissor man>

> 11).
> > >
> > > Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was
> > > done when you
where
> > > 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a diferent
> > > person now than you
> > where
> > > than, I'm sure you would have had to learn at least a
> > > couple new
tricks.
> > > that test represents your IQ at the begining of your
> > > developmental
> years,
> > do
> > > you seriously think you havnt developed (for better or
> > > worse) at all
> since
> > > then!?!!
> > >

> > well, clearly, you all seem to be the better judge of
> > who I am, so you
> tell
> > me.
>
> I have no clue who you are, and I certainly dont posses
> enough information about you to judge your IQ. Who knows
> it could realy still be 111, but I'm not buying your word
> on it based on a test that was taken when you where
11.

didn't say you should. in fact, I made an estimate that it
is most likely much lower.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:54:16 +0000, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Face it Jon - our Trav is a total *****. If there's a
> thing he actually can do, and has to, you know he'll just
> invent an ailment, illness or some other

> into a huge joke of a human, and many people have tried to
> explain things to him, set him straight, and yet no one
> has got through yet.

<sigh> I don't know why I feel compelled to constantly try
and help Trav. He's not a lost cause, just frustratingly
borderline and needs a good

from a couple of thousand miles away though...

In <[email protected]>,
"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> opined:

> Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was done
> when you where 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a
> diferent person now than you where than, I'm sure you
> would have had to learn at least a couple new tricks.

Actually, no - what IQ testing measures doesn't change
like that.

I was part of a study where my IQ was tested every few years
starting when I was 7 and continuing right through my 20's.
My score went down in high school, up in early college, and
settled right back where it started post-college. But it
never varied more than a few points. This was expected by
the researchers, and wasn't the main point of the study.

Even since then, I've taken a few IQ tests just for fun, and
they still come out about the same place. I scored +10 over
that once, but that was a novelty rapid-assessment test that
is known to be wildly inaccurate for scores more than a few
points either side of 100.

> that test represents your IQ at the begining of your
> developmental years, do you seriously think you havnt
> developed (for better or worse) at all since then!?!!

You do realize that half the population is below average
intelligence?

--
Dave Salovesh [email protected] (REPLACE example WITH
mindspring TO EMAIL ME)

"Dave Salovesh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In <[email protected]>, "slartibartfast"
> <[email protected]> opined:
>
> > Dude, why on earth are you going by a test that was done
> > when you where 11!?! Seriously, WTF man!?! you must be a
> > diferent person now than you
where
> > than, I'm sure you would have had to learn at least a
> > couple new tricks.
>
> Actually, no - what IQ testing measures doesn't change
> like that.
>
> I was part of a study where my IQ was tested every few
> years starting when I was 7 and continuing right through
> my 20's. My score went down in high school, up in early
> college, and settled right back where it started post-
> college. But it never varied more than a few points. This
> was expected by the researchers, and wasn't the main point
> of the study.
>
> Even since then, I've taken a few IQ tests just for fun,
> and they still come out about the same place. I scored +10
> over that once, but that was a novelty rapid-assessment
> test that is known to be wildly inaccurate for scores more
> than a few points either side of 100.

maybe, but I still say my IQ must have dropped at least
30 points.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:54:16 +0000, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Face it Jon - our Trav is a total *****. If there's a
> > thing he actually
can
> > do, and has to, you know he'll just invent an ailment,
> > illness or some
other

himself
> > into a huge joke of a human, and many people have tried
> > to explain
things to
> > him, set him straight, and yet no one has got
> > through yet.
>
> <sigh> I don't know why I feel compelled to constantly try
> and help Trav. He's not a lost cause, just frustratingly
> borderline and needs a good

> from a couple of thousand miles away though...

...if I only had a brain...

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:42:26 -0500, Merlin wrote:

> ...if I only had a brain...

"Oh woe is me, said the scarecrow..."

Dude, you're not stupid (contrary to your opinion, you don't
lose IQ). It's been said before; the only thing holding you
back is you.

Enough already.

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> I wonder though, what is better for cardio/pulmo, riding,
> or jogging? I figure, once I get my c/p in shape, running
> should be no problem. in fact, IIRC, lack of c/p endurance
> has always been my hold-back.
>
> ~Travis

Let me chime in, and I dont' have time to waste ragging on
you, so I'll try to be productive and constructive, fwiw:

Running is typically a better return on your time, cardio-
wise, than riding. Some might debate it, but I do both, and
running's always more intense a work out for me.

RE getting in shape for the military, you just have to
decide what you want out of life, and make your training to
achieve that goal NON-NEGOTIABLE. The weather won't stop
you; how you're feeling won't stop you, if you "don't feel
like it" won't stop you.

You're committed! looking back! not looking for an easy way
out. In other words, your commitment is **non-negotiable.**
If you leave it open to negotiation, you'll find and excuse
every time: Too cold, too hot out, asthma acting up, I ate
too much, ate too little, too dark, too bright, too little
sleep last night, too much sleep, I'll run more later,

My son wants into the SEAL's. He's committed, and doesn't
base his training on how he feels at the moment. Does
weights and/or cardio-work every single day, trains brutal,
full contact Muay Thai 3 or 4 x a week, works the Thai pads
with his ole man after all that most evenings, and when he's
flagging and hurting, ready to **** nails and give up, a
friendly reminder of who he's chosen to become keeps him
fighting for his future. (Wait til you AMB-ID regulars see
little Mike this summer, heheh)

How badly do you want to change? how badly do you want
to succeed in your new govt job? It's up to you.
Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't,
you're gonna be right.

paladin

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running
> > when it is 20 DegF.
>
> Every day. No excuses.
>
> Here's a scenario for you. Remote base in the Afghan
> highlands. Wintertime. Your birds are returning from a
> mission They *all* need new Hellfires and .50 cal, which
> you have to hump, by hand, off the trailer out to the
> helos. It's 5 deg F. "Sorry Sarge, It's too cold and my
> asthma will act up if I go outside"
>
> Or the other extreme: FOB somewhere in Iraq. August. Air
> temp of 108. Ramp temp of 120. Skin of the helos is ~140.
> Possibility of unconventional attack, so everyone has on
> their full MOPP gear "I can't breathe, Sarge. You'll have
> to get Pvt Jones to load these missiles. I can't."
>
> Think that'll wash?
>
> > > and you still need to change your reply to:
> > >

> > my CO says it is perfectly fine if I still use it as
> > I am not fully discharged, and AFAIK, he out-ranks
> > you. :p
>
> I don't care if 'your' CO says its OK. That's not the
> point. You have not truly earned the right yet to use it.
> And he's not really your CO. He is the Commander of the
> recruitment battalion.
>
> Pete

That's reality.

The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in
battle.

And sometimes that "bleeding" can come from the *beating*
you take from letting others down with lame excuses and
unwillingness to suck it up and make it happen.

Train now. Train hard. Be a leader, an example that others
can look to. You'll *never* regret it.
http://www.fairtex.com/images/gallery_image_11.jpg

paladin

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:42:26 -0500, Merlin wrote:
>
> > ...if I only had a brain...

See Jon? Right back with another false excuse.

> "Oh woe is me, said the scarecrow..."
>
> Dude, you're not stupid (contrary to your opinion, you
> don't lose IQ). It's been said before; the only thing
> holding you back is you.
>
> Enough already.

Indeed. Trav needs to kick himself hard in the butt, and
quit his ridiculous excuse addiction.

Shaun aRe

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:46:13 -0800, Paladin wrote:

> My son wants into the SEAL's. He's committed, and doesn't
> base his training on how he feels at the moment. Does
> weights and/or cardio-work every single day, trains
> brutal, full contact Muay Thai 3 or 4 x a week, works the
> Thai pads with his ole man after all that most evenings,
> and when he's flagging and hurting, ready to **** nails
> and give up, a friendly reminder of who he's chosen to
> become keeps him fighting for his future.

You should sit him down and make him watch GI Jane. Now
if that's not an inspiration to budding SEALs, I don't
know what is.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > I wonder though, what is better for cardio/pulmo,
> > riding, or jogging? I figure, once I get my c/p in
> > shape, running should be no problem. in
fact,
> > IIRC, lack of c/p endurance has always been my hold-
> > back.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Let me chime in, and I dont' have time to waste ragging on
> you, so I'll try to be productive and constructive, fwiw:
>
> Running is typically a better return on your time, cardio-
> wise, than riding. Some might debate it, but I do both,
> and running's always more intense a work out for me.
>
> RE getting in shape for the military, you just have to
> decide what you want out of life, and make your training
> to achieve that goal NON-NEGOTIABLE. The weather won't
> stop you; how you're feeling won't stop you, if you "don't
> feel like it" won't stop you.
>
> You're committed! looking back! not looking for an easy
> way out. In other words, your commitment is **non-
> negotiable.** If you leave it open to negotiation, you'll
> find and excuse every time: Too cold, too hot out, asthma
> acting up, I ate too much, ate too little, too dark, too
> bright, too little sleep last night, too much sleep, I'll
> run more later,
>
> My son wants into the SEAL's. He's committed, and doesn't
> base his training on how he feels at the moment. Does
> weights and/or cardio-work every single day, trains
> brutal, full contact Muay Thai 3 or 4 x a week, works the
> Thai pads with his ole man after all that most evenings,
> and when he's flagging and hurting, ready to **** nails
> and give up, a friendly reminder of who he's chosen to
> become keeps him fighting for his future. (Wait til you
> AMB-ID regulars see little Mike this summer, heheh)
>
> How badly do you want to change? how badly do you want
> to succeed in your new govt job? It's up to you. Whether
> you believe you can, or believe you can't, you're gonna
> be right.
>
> paladin

that was rather poetic, if I do say so myself.

perhaps what is needed for me now is to evaluate what I want
out of life. as I never really knew, I never had any goals
to push for.

I believe what I have here is a point of choice. I don't
have a recruiter pushing me to get in, so I have time to
evaluate if the army is what I really want.

This is now a time for reflection, and goal seeking on my
part. and I will do so during my jog today. and I say
that without looking toward the weather page of the
newspaper for inspiration. I say so using only the
inspiration from within.

And so I bid thee good day.

~Travis

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >
> > > cold enduced asthma, really does wonders for running
> > > when it is 20
DegF.

> > Every day. No excuses.
> >
> > Here's a scenario for you. Remote base in the Afghan
> > highlands. Wintertime. Your birds are returning from a
> > mission They *all* need new Hellfires and .50 cal, which
> > you have to hump, by
hand,
> > off the trailer out to the helos. It's 5 deg F. "Sorry
> > Sarge, It's too cold and my asthma will act up if I go
> > outside"
> >
> > Or the other extreme: FOB somewhere in Iraq. August. Air
> > temp of 108. Ramp temp of 120. Skin of the helos is
> > ~140. Possibility of unconventional attack, so everyone
> > has on their full MOPP gear "I can't breathe, Sarge.
> > You'll have to get Pvt Jones to load these missiles. I
> > can't."
> >
> > Think that'll wash?

> > > my CO says it is perfectly fine if I still use it as
> > > I am not fully discharged, and AFAIK, he out-ranks
> > > you. :p
> >
> > I don't care if 'your' CO says its OK. That's not the
> > point. You have
not
> > truly earned the right yet to use it. And he's not
> > really your CO. He is the Commander of the recruitment
> > battalion.
> >
> > Pete
>

> That's reality.
>
> The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed
> in battle.
>
> And sometimes that "bleeding" can come from the *beating*
> you take from letting others down with lame excuses and
> unwillingness to suck it up and make it happen.
>
> Train now. Train hard. Be a leader, an example that others
> can look to. You'll *never* regret it.
> http://www.fairtex.com/images/gallery_image_11.jpg
>
> paladin

I agree. I have bleed enough. it is time for me to become
the man I want to be. somebody people can look up to.

~Travis