OT: update, for those keeping tabs still

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I already start with a warm-up walk for about 5 minutes,
> then progress to
> light jogging. after a few minutes, when the lactic acid
> burns off, I step up to my pace of jogging (in other
> words, a comfortable pace given my leg length. probably
> faster than some, and slower than others). when I am so
> tired I start to get light-headed and start tripping, I
> slow to a fast
walk
> for a few minutes until I recover. then I ease back up
> into a jog. I do
this
> for about an hour total each time, and I use my GPS
> (several relatives chipped in and bought it for me. has
> topo maps for hunting, and roads
cause
> I tend to get lost. Magellan Meridian Platinum) for
> keeping track of distance, average speed, and so on. that
> way I can keep track of my
progress
> (distance over time gained each session).
>
> ~Travis

You use a GPS to keep track of a stroll!?!?! You get lactic
acid build up after a matter of minutes (the majority of
which are walking!)!?! How the hell is a GPS going to keep a
track of your progress - its blatantly obvious by the
limited amount of running that the GPS hasnt got a great
deal to keep track of! If the army is your goal, I would put
it off for a long while and make an HONEST and DECENT
attempt at getting fit - one where you can say you have
tried to do it adn keep your INTEGRITY. If you cant push
yourself for yourself, what makes you feel you will be able
to push yourself for other peoples benefit when the ****
hits the fan. Mark

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > **** poor cardio/pulmo. I can jog in spurts, but always
> > the same length of time. and I jog to the point where I
> > feel light headed and start tripping
> on
> > everything.
>
> Remember what I said about "Don't be last"? You're already
> starting out behind the curve, by being a little older
> than most of the other guys. You're going to have to do
> *more* than them, just to keep up.

I was 27 when I went off to boot camp. I didn't want to be
shown up by those who were younger than me so I started
jogging, biking and lifting weights 2 months prior. Not
bragging, but I not only kept up, I kicked butt. I was asked
so many times questions like "were you in track in high
school?" I loved telling them high school was 9 years ago!

> Whoever is last in whatever you're doing *will* get
> unwanted attention. "Goddammit, Farmer! How come you're
> at the back of the pack again?!? Drop and give me an
> extra 50!"

Bwhahaha! So true. Travis had better be taking your advice.

> You are the only one who prevent the unwanted attention.
> No one else wants to, or would if they could.

Someone will stick Travis with an unflattering nickname. It
will catch on and he'll get all the attention he can handle.

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > paladin
>
> that was rather poetic, if I do say so myself.
>
> perhaps what is needed for me now is to evaluate what I
> want out of life. as I never really knew, I never had any
> goals to push for.
>
> I believe what I have here is a point of choice. I don't
> have a recruiter pushing me to get in, so I have time to
> evaluate if the army is what I really want.
>
> This is now a time for reflection, and goal seeking on my
> part. and I will do so during my jog today. and I say
> that without looking toward the weather page of the
> newspaper for inspiration. I say so using only the
> inspiration from within.
>
> And so I bid thee good day.
>
> ~Travis

Fantastic! It might not hurt to sit down alone for about 4
hours and make a huge list of everything you want to have,
be and do. during the process, just write fast enough that
you don't judge what you put down. Just put it down.
Prioritize it, then make a detailed plan to achieve the top
few things in each major area, such as financial goals,
professional goals, physical goals, relationship goals, etc.

There are several techniques for getting a handle on
deciding who you want to become, then getting a good road
map for getting there or action plan to achieve it. I
occasionally teach on these, and those that will actually
force themselves to do it, and then stick with it, are
waaaaaay ahead of the pack that just sit there like
cornflakes on the ocean, blown this way and that.

paladin

> > You are the only one who prevent the unwanted attention.
> > No one else
wants
> > to, or would if they could.
>
> Someone will stick Travis with an unflattering
> nickname. It will catch on and he'll get all the
> attention he can handle.

"Private Farmer" isn't unflattering enough? (change the
enunciation and it takes on a whole new meaning ;-)

~Travis

Paladin ran this through spell check:
> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> paladin
>>
>> that was rather poetic, if I do say so myself.
>>
>> perhaps what is needed for me now is to evaluate what I
>> want out of life. as I never really knew, I never had any
>> goals to push for.
>>
>> I believe what I have here is a point of choice. I don't
>> have a recruiter pushing me to get in, so I have time to
>> evaluate if the army is what I really want.
>>
>> This is now a time for reflection, and goal seeking on my
>> part. and I will do so during my jog today. and I say
>> that without looking toward the weather page of the
>> newspaper for inspiration. I say so using only the
>> inspiration from within.
>>
>> And so I bid thee good day.
>>
>> ~Travis
>
> Fantastic! It might not hurt to sit down alone for about 4
> hours and make a huge list of everything you want to have,
> be and do. during the process, just write fast enough that
> you don't judge what you put down. Just put it down.
> Prioritize it, then make a detailed plan to achieve the
> top few things in each major area, such as financial
> goals, professional goals, physical goals, relationship
> goals, etc.
>
> There are several techniques for getting a handle on
> deciding who you want to become, then getting a good road
> map for getting there or action plan to achieve it. I
> occasionally teach on these, and those that will actually
> force themselves to do it, and then stick with it, are
> waaaaaay ahead of the pack that just sit there like
> cornflakes on the ocean, blown this way and that.
>
> paladin

Doesn't Dr. Phil have a book for doing just that...?

penny

"Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > i will cross that bridge when i come to it.
> >
> > And does that mean we have another one of your "woe is
> > me" "typical,
just
> > typical" posts to look forward to? Oh boy, oh boy!! I
> > cant wait!!
> >
> > If you set youself up to fail, you take away your right
> > to complain
about
> it
> > when you do. Remember, "Only you can prevent forest
> > fires"
> >

> yet another lurker heard from...
>
> I will try and explain this for your simple and under-
> developed newbie
mind.

> what it means when I say I will cross that bridge when I
> come to it is I have not yet had the chance to see what I
> am capable of while under-fire.
> may perform admirably, or I could fall out. nobody knows
> as I have not had any real-life experience.
>
> And by under-fire, I am not limiting it to bullets flying
> over my head, I
am
> including my CO/DS barking orders that must be completed
> in a timely fashion.
>
> nobody can predict the future, only calculate possible
> outcomes.
therefore,
> I say I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
>
> keep in mind that by then I will be in much better shape,
> and so my
symptoms
> believed to be cold induced asthma may actually go away.
>
> ~Travis

Fraudulent enlistment is what this is called, I believe. I
would love to be there when your time comes to walk into a
chamber full of CS.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin ran this through spell check:
> > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >>
> >> that was rather poetic, if I do say so myself.
> >>
> >> perhaps what is needed for me now is to evaluate what I
> >> want out of life. as I never really knew, I never had
> >> any goals to push for.
> >>
> >> I believe what I have here is a point of choice. I
> >> don't have a recruiter pushing me to get in, so I have
> >> time to evaluate if the army is what I really want.
> >>
> >> This is now a time for reflection, and goal seeking on
> >> my part. and I will do so during my jog today. and I
> >> say that without looking toward the weather page of the
> >> newspaper for inspiration. I say so using only the
> >> inspiration from within.
> >>
> >> And so I bid thee good day.
> >>
> >> ~Travis
> >
> > Fantastic! It might not hurt to sit down alone for about
> > 4 hours and make a huge list of everything you want to
> > have, be and do. during the process, just write fast
> > enough that you don't judge what you put down. Just put
> > it down. Prioritize it, then make a detailed plan to
> > achieve the top few things in each major area, such as
> > financial goals, professional goals, physical goals,
> > relationship goals, etc.
> >
> > There are several techniques for getting a handle on
> > deciding who you want to become, then getting a good
> > road map for getting there or action plan to achieve it.
> > I occasionally teach on these, and those that will
> > actually force themselves to do it, and then stick with
> > it, are waaaaaay ahead of the pack that just sit there
> > like cornflakes on the ocean, blown this way and that.
> >
> > paladin
>
> Doesn't Dr. Phil have a book for doing just that...?
>
> penny

Seems like everybody does. I researched at least two dozen
books a few years back for a course I co-taught. Like most
things, "what to do" is fairly easy to learn. The hard part
is applying the simple doctrines and overcoming a lifetime
of laziness, contrary bad habits and wrong thinking.

My weather's good, so I'll bet yours is too...

paladin

Paladin ran this through spell check:

> My weather's good, so I'll bet yours is too...
>
> paladin

Hi overcast with a chill. We may get some spring skiing in
today. Mainly, I'm still getting really exhausted on some
days, and I figure I need to listen and take care of myself.
Yesterday should have been a good one for a ride, but I was
just too tired to care.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin ran this through spell check:
> >
> > My weather's good, so I'll bet yours is too...
> >
> > paladin
>

> Hi overcast with a chill. We may get some spring skiing in
> today. Mainly, I'm still getting really exhausted on some
> days, and I figure I need to listen and take care of
> myself. Yesterday should have been a good one for a ride,
> but I was just too tired to care.
>
> Penny

You were pretty sick, weren't you? But good to read
elsewhere that you got out and started hitting it. Weather's
perfect here. Clear, high 40's lower 50's. When I can't
ride, at least I run, which is an efficient, but poor
substitute.

paladin

Paladin ran this through spell check:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Paladin ran this through spell check:
>>>
>>> My weather's good, so I'll bet yours is too...
>>>
>>> paladin
>>

>> Hi overcast with a chill. We may get some spring skiing
>> in today. Mainly, I'm still getting really exhausted on
>> some days, and I figure I need to listen and take care of
>> myself. Yesterday should have been a good one for a ride,
>> but I was just too tired to care.
>>
>> Penny
>
> You were pretty sick, weren't you?

yes I was, down with kidney stones for a week, then surgery.
all better now.

But good to read elsewhere that
> you got out and started hitting it. Weather's perfect
> here. Clear, high 40's lower 50's. When I can't ride, at
> least I run, which is an efficient, but poor substitute.

No running for me, but I've got some pretty good hills for
"workout walks"

penny

news:[email protected]...

> "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Merlin" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > And does that mean we have another one of your "woe is
> > > me" "typical,
> just
> > > typical" posts to look forward to? Oh boy, oh boy!! I
> > > cant wait!!
> > >
> > > If you set youself up to fail, you take away your
> > > right to complain
> about
> > it
> > > when you do. Remember, "Only you can prevent forest
> > > fires"
> > >

> > yet another lurker heard from...
> >
> > I will try and explain this for your simple and under-
> > developed newbie
> mind.
> >
> > what it means when I say I will cross that bridge when I
> > come to it is I have not yet had the chance to see what
> > I am capable of while
under-fire.
> > may perform admirably, or I could fall out. nobody knows
> > as I have not
had
> > any real-life experience.
> >
> > And by under-fire, I am not limiting it to bullets
> > flying over my head,
> am
> > including my CO/DS barking orders that must be completed
> > in a timely fashion.
> >
> > nobody can predict the future, only calculate possible
> > outcomes.
> therefore,
> > I say I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
> >
> > keep in mind that by then I will be in much better
> > shape, and so my
> symptoms
> > believed to be cold induced asthma may actually go away.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> Fraudulent enlistment is what this is called, I believe. I
> would love to
be
> there when your time comes to walk into a chamber
> full of CS.

FWI, it is not fraudulent enlistment when your recruiter
instructs you to lie, and even fails to properly inform his
CO himself.